Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
sylvain&lynn

electrical problem

hi everybody i need help getting ready to are first pull with our elite suite 38rl3 i unplug the trailer now nothing is working i have no light cant get the fridge to work on propane help please leaving tommorow morning sylvain&lynn

sylvain&lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
morscuba

There is a pull push switch in the jack compartment. It shuts off everything in the Suite for long term storage. Check to see if its off.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
sylvain&lynn

thank you so does the switch have to be in or out
Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
billr

Switch out for battery connected to coach. If its in, everything is isolated except the jacks and slides.

I never use this switch, when I store the trailer I have a battery disconnect to cut everything. No power anywhere.

If this switch is off, you also won't be charging the trailer battery when connected to AC power. A lot of folks find this out when the batteries are dead.

Check your converter to be sure it has a gadget called the "Charge Wizard" If it doesn't, invest the $25 in one. Simple install. It turns the converter into a smart charger, floats the battery when charged up so not to overcharge and boil it out of water.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Motor31

There is another circuit breaker in the unit that is not well known as well. It is in the battery compartment. Look to where the battery cables are connected to a smallish silver grey box mounted on the side of the compartment. There is a very small black plastic tab sticking out in the end, hopefully towards you as you look inside. Push the tab into the box. If it clicks (felt more than heard) it was popped and shuts off the battery to everything. I find that it most frequently pops after using the main jacks. It's now a part of my check list both for setting up and taking down to check it.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
sylvain&lynn

i check in battery compartement there is a small silver bow where battery cable connect could not find the small tab your talking about maybe it is in i still have no power thank you for your help
Old 07-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
billr

Try using a meter or test light and check for power after the little CB next to the battery that the cable is connected, there should be a reset on it to reset. If there is power on both terminals its ok. Also make sure your batteries are ok, they may be dead.

If you have no power after checking the switch in the jack switch panel, the CB, the batteries, then maybe the converter has failed. This does happen. That would explain if the batteries went dead, and or you have no 12V when on shore power. The converter is located inside the basement rear area behind the sliding panels near the center of the trailer. It plugs into an outlet in there. You can also test it for power output at the 12V side terminals.

One more item is to check the fuses in the 12V fuse panel. Maybe there is a main fuse in there, not sure. I think there are just fuses for different users.

On second thought, if the jacks and slides are working, then the batteries and most likely the converter may be ok. The Hyd pump is wired direct to the battery. I would look at that CB by the battery real good, even just bypass it to test it. Also, that switch in the jack panel could be corroded and failed internally. Get access to it and bypass it to test.

Good luck!

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
sylvain&lynn

thank you everybody for your help found the problem was checking fuses behind charger accidently touch the groung wire came off the charger put it back on evrything works fine now sylvain&lynn
Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

electrical

Its the really small things that can bug us--the big items are usually easy to find and just cost money to fix.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
billr

Good work! Nice find.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770