Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
JustinChase

What to put under RV to keep area clean

I'm trying to clear an area to park my new 37' Carri Lite to live in full time. I live in the forest, and get plenty of rain, so something is always going to try to grow around here.

I can't pour a pad, but would like to have something to prevent stuff from growing under the RV. I've had a suggestion for 'cow pads' from TSC, but that seemed like an expensive option.

I've started looking into rubber roofing, but I'm not sure how thick I'd need to get. The ground here is probably 70% rock, maybe more. Without bringing in truckloads of dirt, the best I can get will be no huge rocks sticking up. I could maybe bring in some gravel, but eventually i'll have to remove it, so i'd rather not.

I'd love any advice or suggestions. This is all new to me.
JustinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

There is a lot of heavy plastic tarping available for placement under heavy machinery to catch oil leaks--that is what I suggest you use. Will need good tie downs at corners/sides to prevent lifting in wind. Also suggest you use weed killer on ground to be covered.
Also, there is a material used under rock landscaping that will inhibit weed growth, might look at that.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
Mtntrek

Yeah ^^ I'd lean towards the commercial grade landscape cloth. It sells in rolls and is rather durable. You could use some metal stakes / spikes, Harbor Freight used to sell bags of them that are galvanized, pretty cost effective. Pressure treated landscape timbers / rocks in spots if wind is an issue.
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
JustinChase

I think I've decided on 5 mil weed/landscape barrier. I'm gonna order an 8' wide roll, so I can overlap 2' and still cover 12' wide. Not cheap, but seems like it'll do the trick.

I ordered 250' and will use the rest for a french drain install.

thanks for the tips.
JustinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
joleyred

I would use geo tech fabric, preferably non woven, covered with stone. It will deter organic growth and stay clean.
joleyred is offline   Reply With Quote