Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
wwc

Shock brackets

I would like to know how many people with the Trail-Air suspension has it mounted in the lowest hole. My unit is an 06 and I am breaking shock brackets. First one in my opinon was due to poor welding, but the last two have broken the bottom mount. When this unit was new, I wanted to raise the coach by moving the suspension from the middle hole to the bottom hole, so I called Trail-Air to ask how much torque to put on the bolts. The guy I talked to told me that they did not recommend using the lower hole as it would put to much strain on the shackle. Now with my shock situation I have to either move all the shock mounts or drop the suspension to the lowest hole. I would like to hear from those that have moved their suspension to the lowest hole and has anyone seen or heard of any problems from doing this.
Thanks
wwc

wwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
bstark

My dealer felt it was necessary to raise my unit for additional bed clearance and put all suspension points into the bottom holes which resulted in (visit to Trailair achieved this assessment) putting my suspension into "bind" and breaking a couple of shock mounts and bending a couple of others (all lower mounts were affected) and at Trailair's insistance (Dale Fenton and his shop foreman) they re-adjusted my suspension to a higher hole and replaced the bottom shock mounts (u-bolt plates) with new ones and no more problems since then. Trailer tracks behind the truck like a "piece of rope" with no hunting caused by one axle in conflict with the other or broken mounts from shocks being "hyper-extended".

Old 01-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
anijet

When I raised our 3TK I added spacers to each end of each shock effectivly lengthing each shock the same amount I lifted the trailer. IIRC I made 5/8 inch spacers for a total of 1.25" extension. There is enough extra threads on each end of the shock to do this easily. We've done about 15,000 miles (over some very rough roads) this way with no problems.

Edit: The only reason the brackets are breaking is the shock is extending to its limit and the axle wants to go further. The brackets can't take this shock loading and will give. There is no way a properly functioning shock should be able to put enough force on the brackets to break them.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
wwc

shock brackets

Leo & Bruce,
Thanks to both of you for the information. All this time I thought my shocks were bottoming out and causing the brackets to break. After reading your post, I went an measured my shock travel. When I put the shock at the exact place where the bracket break occured, I had 2 in. left that it could extend and 3 in that it could be compressed. Now the two of you have me thinking that these brackets may be breaking from the shock being over extended. Leo you have me thinking now that you might have a good solution because as you have said, these shocks do have a lot of threads that could be used to extend the length.
Thanks again
wwc
wwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Hobo

My shocks were being compressed too much and bent the "H" out of my shocks. The factory raised my unit after 2 sets of shocks bent. I don't have the Air Ride suspension but it took care of the problem.
In fact I don't have the Lippert frame so my mounts did NOT give at all. Something to be said for having a older unit. It seems the shock mount spacing has been a problem foe a long long time.

I have sense gone to the MoreRide 8K IS suspension and a Happier camper.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
anijet

Some pictures of the spacers. Not too clear, kinda hard to take them at night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0471_180.jpg (30.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg img_0469_849.jpg (35.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg img_0470_252.jpg (31.1 KB, 113 views)
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Mikey

Us Too

I took our 2007 MS36TK3 to Dale's shop as well.
He and his shop foreman lifted the trailer to highest level.
Put extensions on shocks.
Works like a dream.
No problems.

He had planned to "beef up" the attachments to frame, until he noticed it had already been done.
Each point had a gusset welded to frame.

Awesome service from Dale.

2008 F450
Full-timing at last!
www.HomeIsWhereWeParkIt.net
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote