Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
Begger

Hub Bearing Failure

Right at 2000 miles from home on a two week trip, heading toward Teton Pass at about 65 mph, heard a loud explosion from the trailer. Rear mirror showed smoke and fire coming out from what was left of left front tire and wheel. After pulling off the road fire was had already gone out, but it was obvious this was more than just a blown tire. We limped to a nearby campground, called a remote RV service, who came and removed the axle, and took it to an axle shop. Not only had the hub bearing failed, but the fire damaged the air suspension components on that side, and we found out the axle was toast.

We had 8K axles, Nev-R-Lube hubs and the center point suspension by TrailAir, electric over hydraulic disk brakes. The hubs had been checked prior to this trip, and the hub showed minimal play, with a small amount of grease at the rear. Everything appeared good. But alas...

Now come the issues. These axles are not being produced anymore. Waiting on a callback from DRV regarding a replacement. Axle shop looking as well. As yet, no word.

What kind of hubs should I replace with? Plan on keeping this trailer no more than another 5 years.

Suggestions?

2007 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3520
"Waitin' for someday..."
Begger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Cummins12V98

Get it on the road the cheapest way possible and take it to MorRyde and install the IS suspension. NOTHING better out there!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

If you still have the axle tags readable, should be all the info there to replicate replacement axles/hubs/regular bearings. Need to check with a competent spring/axle shop. I think biggest needed measurement is center-to-center frame to place the spring mounts. Several years ago, had all axles/hubs/bearings replaced on an '05 for $2600.
Good luck, tough to be broke down where you are.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
ddubya

The hubs are seldom greased properly from the factory. It's sad but that is the way it is. I would advise any new trailer owner to check or have checked before the first trip.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
lseiger

Hi,

We have a 2007 MS 32TK3 that we purchased new. We are full-timers so we do put quite a few miles on the rig. Back in March 2011 we had the same thing happen to us. Loud explosion and tremendous smoke; no flames.

At the time we had the axle replaced and other parts that were damaged. Cost us $2850.00 and three weeks in Quartzsite, AZ.

In may of 2017 I decided to have all four bearings replaced. Found out that the bearings were not available anymore because of premature failures. Lippert had an offer at the time that if we purchased one new axle that they would provide the second one for no cost. I jumped on that. The new axles/hubs are greaseable.

Now the really good news, when the axles arrived there were complete with new springs, disk brakes, hubs, etc. A completely new undercarriage.

I was told that the Nev-R-Lube design did not allow for the torque that is applied to the hubs when backing at tight angles. New-R-Lube type bearings are being used on driver wheels with no problem because the wheels turn independently of the vehicle. The total cost was slightly more than $1000.

Larry in Spokane
lseiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:34 AM   #6
Begger

Same thing here...

Left the trailer in Idaho, (big shout out to Teton Valley Resort in Victor ID. Thanks for all your support!!!) brought the truck back home, and got with my RV Dealer (another big shoutout to to Mark Kersey and all the folks at Wheels RV in Tontitown AR!) and ordered a new new axle. That axle will come with new hubs, springs, calipers and discs, the whole enchilada. A second identical axle was ordered for $100.00 from Dexter. Both sets of Center Point by TrailAir suspension airbags were also ordered, due to being being damaged by the fire.

The best news is...all but deductible and shipping were covered by Extra-Ride extended warranty. Axles are three weeks out, and will be shipped to ID where I already have a mobile RV service to reinstall. Then it’s a two day road trip out to pickup the trailer and a two day road trip back.

Already bought a new tire and wheel to get the trailer back home. Looking back, it could have been a lot worse.

Most common comment I see about the Nev-R-Lube hubs is that they work well and generally last a long time. In our case, over 12 years and an unknown number of miles. But when they do fail, they tend to fail somewhat spectacularly. And sooner or later, they WILL fail.

Just wanted to provide an update.
"Waitin' for someday..."
Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Cummins12V98

Take my advice and have the tech pull apart the calipers and PROPERLY lube the slide bolts and all mating surfaces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Begger

Thanks Ron. I’ll do that. Probably very good advice.
"Waitin' for someday..."
Old 09-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
SrFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lseiger View Post
Hi,

We have a 2007 MS 32TK3 that we purchased new. We are full-timers so we do put quite a few miles on the rig. Back in March 2011 we had the same thing happen to us. Loud explosion and tremendous smoke; no flames.

At the time we had the axle replaced and other parts that were damaged. Cost us $2850.00 and three weeks in Quartzsite, AZ.

In may of 2017 I decided to have all four bearings replaced. Found out that the bearings were not available anymore because of premature failures. Lippert had an offer at the time that if we purchased one new axle that they would provide the second one for no cost. I jumped on that. The new axles/hubs are greaseable.

Now the really good news, when the axles arrived there were complete with new springs, disk brakes, hubs, etc. A completely new undercarriage.

I was told that the Nev-R-Lube design did not allow for the torque that is applied to the hubs when backing at tight angles. New-R-Lube type bearings are being used on driver wheels with no problem because the wheels turn independently of the vehicle. The total cost was slightly more than $1000.

Larry in Spokane
Please check you private messages

SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote