Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Circuitrider

Moble Suites brakes and the Ford Brake Controller

Has anyone heard if there is a remedy in the air for the incompatbility issues with the Mobile Suite electric over hydraulic brakes and the built-in brake controller on the Ford Super Duty trucks. I was on another website and was reading an RVer's review of his new F450 pulling a Teton with Dexter electric over hydraulic brakes and they were working fine. I don't look for Ford to come up with the fix on this one but perhaps there are different options available to Doubletree. With as many RVer's who are going to the new F450 one might think that another brake option would be in Doubletree's best interest. By the way this wannabe would rather have a Mobile Suite than a Teton (too much weight).

Circuitrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Hobo

It is not the brakes that have the trouble with the controls but the Actuator.

I don't know whose Actuator DT uses at this time but do know there are 3 or 4 makes on the market.
Some are computable with the Ford and Prodigy controller, but you need to check with the DT to see what one they are using now and then touch base with that manufacturer.

Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
golf_bears

I just heard from DoubleTree today. They are saying that they can install a Dexter brake actuator vs. the unit they were using. They are saying the Dexter actuator works with the Ford IBC. I’m trying to confirm this through my sources as well.

Our Ford F450 w/ Ford IBC is now out of the Ford assembly plant and will be delivered soon. Our MS is due to go into production next month.

I had plans of installing a third party brake controller to our Ford F450 but I may not need to do so if DoubleTree is correct and the Dexter brake actuator functions properly with the Ford IBC.

Let’s keep this topic going and see if we can get an actual user to confirm some results with the Ford IBC and electric/hydraulic disk brakes utilizing a Dexter actuator.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
igotjam

I don't want to muddy the waters but when I was going through my controller problems I talked to Dexter (4-5 months ago). At that time they outsourced the actuators to Calisle or Activebrake (I have Activebrake). They did not make their own. They told me to talk to Activebrake which I did.. Activebrake had no solution so I went aftermarket. Dexter now makes an actuator???
igotjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
RGordon

My 07 Suites came with a Actibrake actuator and when it melted down, DT replaced it with a Carlisle brand. The Carlisle manual says it is not compatiable with 08 Ford Superduties Built in Controller. It says it will work with the 05-07 model Fords.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
rdunk

My 2005 RE3 was retrofitted, after delivery, with the newly designed Dexter brake actuator, which was released for use about March 2005. That actuator did work well with the 2005 Ford integrated brake controller. However, I chose to disable the Ford controller in my 2005 F350, and also in my 2006 F350, in favor of using the BraKeSmart Controller, which is, in my opinion, a better controller.

I don't know whether Ford has made controller changes in their later year models that might preclude operations with the Dexter brake actuator. I would suggest you talk directly with Dexter. They were very helpful when I was trying to deal with getting a brake actuator on my MS that would work with the Ford Controller.

Good luck!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
sigo'suite

FWIW:
I have been following this thread with interest and decided this morning to call a local dealer who does nothing but trailers of all kinds, primarily horse trailers and RV's.

They are a dealer for Kodiak brakes which are made here in Ft. Worth and also for the BrakeSmart brake controller.
They use only the Carlisle actuators on axles up to 10,000 # and Dexter on the heavier capacity axles only because of their larger hydraulic reservoir capacity.

According to them Carlisle has remedied the earlier problem which has been discussed here on earlier threads.

Another FWIW:
About a year ago I was contemplating switching to Kodiak brakes with this same dealer and out of curiosity I contacted the Kodiak people here locally and got a hold of a guy out in the shop. He told me that he would NOT recommend the ActiveBrake controller because there had been issues with it.

Agree with rdunk - I am a customer very satisfied with the BrakeSmart controller.
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
golf_bears

Not sure if this is the actuator DoubleTree is talking about. Won't be able to speak with them until Monday.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/electro_hydraulic_actuators
Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
rdunk

Quote: "Not sure if this is the actuator DoubleTree is talking about. Won't be able to speak with them until Monday".
.................................................. ..................
This looks like the same as the one on my MS, and as I said previously, it does work with the 2005/2006 Ford Integated Controller.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
golf_bears

I believe the problems with the Ford IBC are limited to the 2008s and are the only ones remaining to be resolved. It appears all other problems prior to the 2008s have been resolved one way or another.

Been on the internet (multiple sites) for a few days now trying to find out what is going on. May still be a lot of confusion out there? Many people responding to the issue but most are pre 2008 problems.

Hope DoubleTree can guarantee their recommendation.