Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
anijet

Electric Drain Valves (3 pictures)

Almost finished electric drain valve install today. All that is left is to close up the belly. I'm really happy with the install. One set of switches are in the same locations as the original pull contols and the other two are in the utility cabinet under the enterance closet. Each has a LED that indicates when a valve is not fully closed. All in all it took a full day.

Now when it's time to dump the black, I can close the gray the evening before then the next morning dump the black, close it and open the gray to flush, all from inside. And no more hard to pull controls, DW could never open the gray valve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old_953.jpg (26.9 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg blackvalve_120.jpg (28.8 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg grayvalve_109.jpg (42.3 KB, 494 views)

anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
anijet

2 more pictures

Here are the switches
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insideswitches_183.jpg (19.6 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg outsideswitches_209.jpg (20.1 KB, 490 views)

Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
RickandJanice

Great job, very professional installation!!! I especially like your idea of two sets of switches. The inside switches will be really handy when on a full hookup.

I have never had to service the valves on our unit, yet. Were you able to do this by just removing the valve cover or did you have to remove more of the under belly cover?
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
anijet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickandJanice
.....Were you able to do this by just removing the valve cover or did you have to remove more of the under belly cover?
The gray valve is accessable by removing the cover which was sealed on pretty good. The black valve is behind the water filter which I removed for access.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
lseiger

Electric Waste Valves

Hi Leo & Janice,

We have an 07 MS 32TK3 and love the rig but hate the cable actuated waste valves.

Did the Drain Master valves replace just the center part of the existing valves or did you have to replace the entire valve assembly.

I am ready to do exactly what you have done.

Thanks for showing us the way.

Larry & Barb Seiger
SOITC Members
lseiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
anijet

I wanted to leave the original valves installed ahead of the electric valves so I could use them as shut-offs in case the electric needed repair. It worked for the gray but not for the black. For the black I just replaced the original valve because there wasn't a good place to install the new valve. The new gray valve was installed down stream of the original valve. I just removed the original gray remote control and installed an extension that I can use to close the original gray valve from under the belly of the trailer. If you decide to go this route and want to install dual switches, let me know and I will tell you about the factory miss wired switches that took me half a day to figure out what they did.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Beachgirl

Since we are having a MS built, I would like to have the electric valves added
during the build. Do I need two valves? And did you have to order extra switches to be able to dump from inside? This is just a totally new idea, and I am excited about the possibility of dumping from inside the coach! Unbelievable!
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
terry and jo

Beachgirl,

He has left at least the one manual dump valve as a backup, just in case of trouble with the electric one. If you have the electric valves installed at the factory when you order, they would probably only install the electrics on each of the tanks. Unless you asked them to have a manual backup installed as well.

As for dumping from inside, I suppose that would be OK, but you would need to make sure your discharge hose is secure because that sudden rush of water tends to make the hose jerk around. At least that has been my experience. But, I've not dumped tanks very much since most of our camping in the past has been boondocking and using campground outhouses.

Also, if you dump from inside, you would probably still need to go out and verify that the black tank was done before opening your gray tank valve. That seems to kind of defeat the idea of dumping from inside to me.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Beachgirl

Yeah, you are right, Terry. You can tell that I never do the dumping, lol. I think I'll skip this mod. Thanks for your reply.
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
The View 5046

I can see were the electric valves are nice. But what happens if the sewer pipe burst or comes loose. I can see 45 gals of Black tank dumped on the ground. I wouldn't want to be you neighbor. I think I prefer the manual pull handles.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Carny Bill

sewer pipe

What would happen if the sewer pipe burst with the manual valves????

Same as electric I would think.....
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #12
anijet

Re: sewer pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carny Bill
What would happen if the sewer pipe burst with the manual valves????

Same as electric I would think.....
I suspect so. Never had it happen in over 35 years of RVing. I use Rhino hose and connectors. The inside switch is mostly used to close the gray the day before I want to dump the black in order to build up a gray flush. Also, on a rare occasion I forget to open the gray and seem to find out when it is not convenient to go outside. Flip a switch and check the sewer connection out the bedroom slide window. If gray water leaked it's not much of a problem. This is the second rig I've installed them on.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
The View 5046

I have never had a sewer hose burst either. But I'm always at the sewer hose when dumping tanks. It isn't a good idea not to be near dump valves when dumping and back flushing.

I'm not against electric dump valves just my thoughts about the system. I have the same thought about the electric flush system.

I have also used the Rino hoses but in less than 6 months the elbow began leaking went back to the old Blue line system, using the same hose for the last 3.5 years and it still works. I'm not saying the Rino isn't good it just didn't work for us.

Trailer Saver TS 3
Old 12-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
terry and jo

OK. I've seen the Rhino system hoses, but what is this "Blue line". Is is a specific brand by that name or something of a description of the products?

At some point (when we begin our "static" full-timing), I will need to set up a sort-of permanent system for dumping. Very likely using PVC pipe and a combination of hoses and fittings. Just have to wait and see where we end up and see what is available for sewer.

So far, we are so new at using a system of black and grey tanks, that I have a lot to learn. We've been camping since 1976 in various forms of RV or camping with tents, but we've always used the campground outhouses. So far, I've dumped a black/grey tank system a total of three or four times.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
The View 5046

Terry, the Blue Line is the basic system that Camping World sells. I have two systems made up mounted on the Blue Line elevated support system. When not in use I have it stored in the EZ carry also sold by CW which I have two mounted under the 5th wheel. The Storage tube on the side of the Suites I keep one section of the Blue Line made up for when I don't need the longer version. The Problem I found with the Large PVC pipe, one is storage and the other is every RV park has a different location for the Sewer connection and it will be different lengths.

Trailer Saver TS 3
Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
wingnut60
Site Team

dumping

Terry,
You might want to consider a FloJet setup as in the link:

http://www.myrvtalk.com/plumbing/5818-flojet-mod.html

You might have to register to see the pictures.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #17
terry and jo

Thanks, Joe.

You were right. I had to register, but I think almost all the "standard" forums require that in order to view the pictures. Now, I just have to wait for the administrator to set things up, I guess. There was something about me waiting to get "in the que".

I registered late last night (later than most ordinary people would be up), so it might be a bit before I can view the pictures, as it is only 9:00am now and they are still unavailable to me.

I've heard about the macerator pumps over on the RV Dreams forums, but so far, I haven't done my research on them yet. I guess the link you gave me will be a start on that. That also looks like a decent forum for "technical" issues. Oh, I REALLY need that.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 12-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #18
wingnut60
Site Team

Terry,
There are tons of contributors, but few DRV owners--it is the former Sunnybrook owners forum.
I have had the FloJet for about 3 years, used it twice in that time to empty at the house. It performed as advertised, and easily exceeded the recommended hose length.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote