Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
terry and jo

Two Years in the Planning

It was nearly two years ago that this process began for us. Here in Oklahoma City, the Spring RV Show was going on at the fairgrounds, which, incidentally, we pass on our way to and from work each day. On that particular day, as we were going home, Jo said, “Let’s stop by the RV show. I want to look at something.”

In my mind, I was thinking, “OK, she wants to look at something bigger than the 26 foot fifth wheel that we currently own.” (Perhaps maybe a 30 footer.) To my surprise, she began looking at 36 and above, particularly the Mobile Suites that was carried by the RV dealer we had dealt with before with our earlier campers. So, I had to ask her what she had in mind. It was then that she told me of wanting to eventually full-time and travel the country.

Now, we are getting close to a decision. If we don’t do something this year in the way of purchasing a fifth wheel, we might not ever get as big as we want and be able to full time. We recently had the dealer give us a price for ordering a Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 with some upgrades including a fourth slide in the bedroom.

To our thinking, the price they gave us was a good one, but maybe just a wee bit high for what we wanted to pay. So, now we are looking at deleting some of the options that we had put into the initial price quote.

Once again, I come to our online friends for your ideas, suggestions and thoughts, since you have all been so valuable to us in the past. The last point will be a question for the “electrical minded” out there.

We will be getting the Level-Up system with remote, the side by side refrigerator, upgraded TV to Sony Bravia, “Theatre-Seating” recliners with center console, built in fireplace, GE Advantium microwave (convection plus), 3 burner range with oven, Select Comfort queen size bed, 2nd 15.0 BTU A/C with heat pumps in both, Comfort Air w/rain sensor and remote for kitchen and bathroom, washer/dryer prep with vent, Power Management System, whole house surge protector, Canadian All Weather package with two 30,000 BTU furnaces, Trailair suspension and pin box, Tire Pressure monitoring system, back up camera system, four step entry steps, and thermopane windows.

1. We first deleted the fourth slide. While the vanity slide will give a bit more walking space in the bedroom, plus some more hanging space in the closet, it comes at the cost of storage space in the “dresser” drawers, overhead storage, and extra cabinet space to the left and right of the window. Saved nearly $2200.

2. The central vacuum was another choice to delete. For the $400 listed for that, we could buy a small Dyson “ball” upright that has more “flexibility” and better suction than what a long vacuum hose would necessarily allow.

3. Slide topper awnings were another to delete. My thinking is that with the Oklahoma winds, that is something that wouldn’t be getting torn up and flapping in the wind. As for cleaning the tops of the slides. I can always use a ladder from the ground and sweep them off.

4. Dinette slide patio awning was next. A powered one is $1994 and a manual one is $908. We’re just not sure how much the additional awning would be used. We will have the one running from the entry door forward.

5. We also decided to delete the Winegard Trav’ler HD Auto Satellite for Direct TV. That was another $2500. We figure we can always use the normal DirectTV dish on a tripod. That would give us the added flexibility to be able to move the dish around for a better shot at the satellite.

In addition to the above, we plan on getting the Xantrex 3000 Watt Inverter w/four 6-volt batteries. That one leads to the question for the “electrically minded” individuals to kindly answer. If we delete the Onan 5500 Marquis Gold generator we can save$6070, although I’m considering to still get the “Generator Prep-Auto Change Over” option for $654 should we later decided to add the Onan. We currently have a Honda EU3000IS rated at 3000 watts and I think 25 amps. While I know that this generator won’t run any of the air conditioners, it would still work for heating and lights, etc. Does anyone know if this generator would be “heavy” enough to still be able to recharge the batteries in the Xantrex 3000 Watt inverter? If it would manage but take a long time to charge, thus making it ineffective or inefficient, please let me know your thoughts on that as well.

Anyone wishing to comment on whether we should go ahead and delete all of the above, or perhaps keep certain ones, I would welcome your thoughts. This is now being done because with the right answers to the above and just a wee bit more tweaking of numbers, we MAY be about to order our DREAM RV.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and answers in the past and for any that you provide for this thread. God bless you all.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Gemstone

I would delete all the factory provided "crap" that I could....starting with the cheesy coffee maker, the built in worthless Vac, all the bedding, the entertainment system, the bath and kitchen faucets, and the cheap plastic kitchen sink (maybe the new ones are SS), the recliners...all of these items you can provide, better quality and much cheaper. I'd let then do the washer dryer prep, then bring them my appliances and have them do the installation. The extra awnings maybe I'd delete, depending on where I'd be spending my time. I do like the power main awning. HD DirecTV on a tripod works fine for us. I'd question the 2nd furnace...unless you plan on spending winter in some very cold areas.
We rarely use our furnace, preferring to take the chill off with a portable electric heater....but then, we follow the sun. In the 4 years of fulltiming we have yet to use the oven.....unless it's for storage. We cook everything from bread to cakes in the convection M/W. Have them do the gen prep, then supply your own.
Air pin box, air axles, upgraded running/stopping gear is where I would spend...but before I spent $$$ on a new rig, I'd look for used units...there are some great deals out there.

Good Luck
Gemstone

Old 02-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
morscuba

Sounds as though you have given your home on wheels a lot of thought. You are doing exactly what I did.. I got the things that were important to me. I have had many comments ie; Why didn't you get the ladder and roof rack??? ummm cause I have to carry a ladder with me to wash the front,,why didn't you get the over the slide covers,,etc etc. I do wish I would have preped for the generator because I could have had a plug-in the front as well as the back. I do miss my generator I had with my Alfa Toyhouse but am using two Honda 2000's that run everything just fine..Well one AC and everythng else. I am happy as can be with my inverter and the 4 6 volts.. Its a must if your going to do any boondocking. I also had 4 300 watt solar panels installed (non factory). I will be upgrading my battery's to AGM sometime this summer. I ended up getting the standard entertainment systems and am very happy with them. Anyway you sound like your getting what is important to you.
Upgrading all the important stuff suspension, tires, hitch is the only way to go. I am also very happy with the hitch the factory installed. I towed a 700 lb motorcycle and trailer, but tow a smartcar behind the suite (mc sits behind the cab now)
Good luck. Oh yeah I got a great deal from the folks at Liberty RV in Liberty Missouri.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
morscuba

OH yeah, I have spent my first full winter in snow and cold. I W I S H!!! I had the Canadian Package and the 2nd heat pump. I didnt get the fireplace and had a desk and cabinet instead. I ended up using two space heaters to supplement keeping the trailer warm and not use up the propane once temps drop below 30. Again good luck and have fun.. Hope you enjoy as much as I do.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
jerrysuebla

You don't say who your dealer is but from OKC I highly recommend you check with Heath at Wheels RV in Springdale AR before you buy anywhere else. He will give you a great price with great service. You just might get to keep some of those extras you want.
2008 Elite Suite 36RSSB3 #4465
jerrysuebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Carny Bill

I would echo exactly what Jerry and Raymond said......Bill
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
dalehandsome

We just purchased our first 5th wheel (38 tskb3) from Wheels RV in Springdale AR. Heath gave us the best deal of anyone. He is also very fair on changes that you make after the purchase. We made the mistake of purchasing from another dealer first who also quoted us a good entry price. However, after we signed the contract, all changes were not discounted by the same % as the original purchase. Heath has used the same % discount on everything. We eliminated the entire entertainment center but did have them install the 40” lift and wire for the speaker. We eliminated the recliners as almost everyone says you can get better for less. We also opted not to have the 4th bedroom slide. Agonized over this for quite some time. One foot is just not enough to justify the expense and extra 300 lbs. We personally believe the standard dresser and drawers are not only larger, and more functional, but also better looking. We will be taking delivery May 10th. Still nervous about everything.
dalehandsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Diesel-Gypsy

Terry and Jo, I will answer a few of your questions based on our experience.
The 2nd. awning on the dinette slide is very nice to have, I would try to keep that one if I were you.
The generator you have will charge your battery bank (4 x 6v), it is quite capable.
We have one, and it will also run one AC unit.

Get as many "factory prep" options as you can afford, the day will come when they pay-off.

All of the other advice given is well worth considering as well IMHO.

Good luck!

Rick
Old 02-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Motor31

I would look at several of the options as either needed or not.

I would get the second AC / heat pump and stay with the 15k units. In the hot SW we NEED both AC units to stay comfortable in our 38'.

I'd drop the fireplace. Keep the manual 2nd awning. It helps ALOT in the summer to cut cooling costs.

Drop the Onan and the gen prep. It just takes up space and won't be used enough to justify it. It's also a fuel HOG unless you really like buying propane. Your Honda 3000 will run a single AC unit just fine as well as other items simultaneously as long as you switch the fridge and water heater to propane. The microwave may pull too much if the AC is going though, I don't know for sure. We use a single Honda 2000 for dry camping and it does everything we need except the air conditioner and washer drier. If it's hot I want BOTH AC units and shore power. The Honda 3000 will charge the batteries just fine and handle the rest of the house too.

Unless you plan on dry camping a lot, the 4 battery bank may be overkill. We dry camp for a week at a time here in AZ. using two 12 volt batteries in the "stock" battery tray and a Honda 2000. Those four 6 volt batteries are HEAVY and will increase your pin weight and decrease your CCC.

Drop the auto seek antenna. I have an earlier model and it is now no longer in production, even for parts and no longer compatible with TV receivers for the auto seek function. It also won't work if you park in the trees anyhow. Use a ground mount with two 50' coils of coax cable.

I would also consider dropping the level up system. We don't have it and can level up fine with boards and or the "leggo" style block a ton cheaper than more hydraulics. It also saves on the CCC of the trailer. The trailer is already going to be very heavy and you will need the capacity for your "stuff". Don't forget you will need a bigger than 1 ton truck for the load too.

I would not get the back up camera or the tire pressure monitoring system. You can get the tire pressure gadget after market probably cheaper. Same for the camera. I have been towing for over 5 years now and haven't felt the need for the "back up" camera.

I would shop around and price the air mattress thingy for installation later on. I'd bet you could save money putting it in yourself. Let them install the regular cheap mattress and give it away.

Let the factory install the stack-able washer and drier. Putting them in later after the unit is built will be a real major PITA. You WILL enjoy being able to do laundry in house instead of hunting laundromats. Trust me on this as we have tried both ways and Momma says no washer and drier, no deal. Forget the splendide units, major PITA to use and microscopic load capacity.

The fantastic fans are a great addition. Get two, one in the bedroom and the other in the kitchen. Also get the covers for them so you can use them in the rain. I wish we had done that for air flow during light rain instead of needing to use the AC units.

I don't like slide toppers. I have heard lots of them flapping in the wind and self destructing due to wind and sun damage. If stuff gets blown under them it's harder to sweep the slide clean than without them.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
billr

I agree with whats been said as well and some worth repeating......

We love the second awning, use it all the time, I wish we had elec awnings, but do fine with the manuals.

2 15K AC with heat pumps would be nice, we have 1 13K and one 15K with heat pump, we do fine but the second heat pump would be really good.

We have one furnace and its fine when we can't use the heat pump.

No way would I ever put in built in or propane genny. Or get the factory genny prep. They are not cost effective. Plugging into the Honda 3000 is no issue. We boondock no issue with 2 6V factory batterys and use the honda a few times a day to keep things charged. We need AC power anyway in the AM and Eve so it always works. Can run an AC if needed as well. Have done that for 12 hrs a day as well in really hot conditions.

I would also delete the sofa and chairs and buy lazyboy stuff.

We have 17.5" tires and highly recommend them as the wts are up there on these units. Just too many reports of issues with the 16" rubber.

Dual pane windows are also a must!

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
GlennWest

We really enjoy our factory installed central vacuum system. Works great.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
golf_bears

If you plan on using portable generators (Hondas or Yamahas) have DRV install a 50 amp socket under the front nose. It should include the auto cut off also. This will allow you to plug in the generators and keep them under the front nose protected from the elements.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
cptxguys

Terry and Jo,
We started out with a Rockwood 5er and have since purchased 2 DRV products. We have both a Mobile Suite (36TK3) and an Elite Suite (36RS3). I’ll give you my perspective on the questions that you’ve asked. I’ve provided them at the end of each question.

We will be getting the Level-Up system with remote (We don’t have it but wish we did!), the side by side refrigerator (a nice option, particularly with the ice maker), upgraded TV to Sony Bravia (we have it and enjoy it), “Theatre-Seating” recliners with center console (we have the leather option and find them to be very comfortable), built in fireplace (we don’t have it, but you will find it useful on cool nights/mornings to supplement the gas heat. Particularly if you are in a campground with electric power, you can save on your propane use. We us a ceramic heater), GE Advantium microwave (we’ve had both the Advantium as well as the convection microwave option. I like the convection microwave better as it has racks in the oven for multiple items/pans. Our Advantium has no racks. Unless you’ll be cooking with the halogen light a lot, it’s an expensive option that will rarely get used. Yes, I made brownies in 7 minutes, and that was wonderful, but we haven’t used it since!). 3 burner range with oven (This is particularly helpful if you get the Advantium oven). It also gives the greatest flexibility – Advantium or Convection on Electric; Range on Propane). Select Comfort queen size bed (we find the pillow top mattress to be quite comfortable. Unless you have issues with comfort, I don’t see the benefit), 2nd 15.0 BTU A/C with heat pumps in both (We have them on both RVs. In Texas and Oklahoma, we keep cool in 100 degree heat as well as we find we use hardly any propane in the winter unless it drops below freezing) Comfort Air w/rain sensor and remote for kitchen and bathroom (They are nice and work well. We never had a problem and a nice way to ventilate the RV - particularly with the wall thermostats) washer/dryer prep with vent. (This provides the greatest flexibility for the type of unit you want – ‘all in one’ or a stacked unit. We have both types (one in each RV). I prefer the space saving of the all in one, the ‘leave and forget it’ convenience, and particularly like the efficiency of the front loader, so even if we aren’t hooked up to city water, I can do a load of laundry without worrying about using up all the fresh water of filling the grey water tank) Power Management System, whole house surge protector (both good ideas to protect your system), Canadian All Weather package with two 30,000 BTU furnaces (I’d look to see if you can order the package and get just 1 furnace. Unless you’re really going to be in cold climate, you won’t need both. Especially with 2 heat pumps. If you do, you’re going to need LOTS of propane!), Trailair suspension and pin box (have them, like them, wouldn’t be without them. Makes a big difference in tow vehicle ride quality). Tire Pressure monitoring system (I’d go with after market, unless you need to including it into some package financing), back up camera system (good idea, not sure that I’d want one unless it could be built into my navigation systems. I wouldn’t want an additional screen for how little you will use it), four step entry steps (helpful for getting in/out) and thermopane windows (makes a big difference on not only heat loss, but limits noise from outside).

1. We first deleted the fourth slide. While the vanity slide will give a bit more walking space in the bedroom, plus some more hanging space in the closet, it comes at the cost of storage space in the “dresser” drawers, overhead storage, and extra cabinet space to the left and right of the window. Saved nearly $2200.

It may give you additional room inside, but don’t forget that it takes up room on the ‘patio area’ outside. I too would delete that from the option list.

2. The central vacuum was another choice to delete. For the $400 listed for that, we could buy a small Dyson “ball” upright that has more “flexibility” and better suction than what a long vacuum hose would necessarily allow.

I personally like it, but an easy option to ‘cut’.

3. Slide topper awnings were another to delete. My thinking is that with the Oklahoma winds, that is something that wouldn’t be getting torn up and flapping in the wind. As for cleaning the tops of the slides. I can always use a ladder from the ground and sweep them off.

Well…we use ours at our ranch in OK (Stillwater). Yes, the wind can make things a bit noisy with them flapping, but I wouldn’t be without them. They are a benefit to help keep rain/snow off the room (less likely to get leaks), keep debris off the roof (keeps them clean and the dirt/debris from coming inside when closed), and they create a sun shield from the hot sun in the summer. We’ve had some heavy winds here in OK, and we’ve never had a problem with rips/tears/damage. I’d reconsider on that one if I were you.

4. Dinette slide patio awning was next. A powered one is $1994 and a manual one is $908. We’re just not sure how much the additional awning would be used.

We will have the one running from the entry door forward. We have the manual dinette slide. We use the front awning for our outside ‘patio’ area and the dinette awning for a picnic table. We also use it when tailgating at football games, since we tend to have more guests.

5. We also decided to delete the Winegard Trav’ler HD Auto Satellite for Direct TV. That was another $2500. We figure we can always use the normal DirectTV dish on a tripod. That would give us the added flexibility to be able to move the dish around for a better shot at the satellite.

I’ve used both the auto satellite as well as the tripod dish. You’ll use the dish about a dozen times and realize what a pain in the neck it is to use. If I had to do over, I’d look into a portable satellite disk (such as the VuCube). You can get the convenience of auto satellite, with the benefit of being able to move the satellite, should you be parked under trees or something.

6. In addition to the above, we plan on getting the Xantrex 3000 Watt Inverter w/four 6-volt batteries. That one leads to the question for the “electrically minded” individuals to kindly answer. If we delete the Onan 5500 Marquis Gold generator we can save$6070, although I’m considering to still get the “Generator Prep-Auto Change Over” option for $654 should we later decided to add the Onan. We currently have a Honda EU3000IS rated at 3000 watts and I think 25 amps. While I know that this generator won’t run any of the air conditioners, it would still work for heating and lights, etc. Does anyone know if this generator would be “heavy” enough to still be able to recharge the batteries in the Xantrex 3000 Watt inverter? If it would manage but take a long time to charge, thus making it ineffective or inefficient, please let me know your thoughts on that as well.

I think I can help you on this one. I’ve had ‘standard’ power systems (no inverter or generator), portable generators, Xantrex inverter, and Onan generator. Depending on the type of camping that you do, will determine the ‘best’ option for you. For us, the only answer was the Xantrex Inverter AND the Onan generator. Here are some things to think about. The inverter is 3000 watts and it will only power ½ of the power distribution panel in the RV. There are 2 110V legs of power in the RV. 1 leg will be wired ‘direct’. The other leg with run through the inverter. Therefore you will only be able to power SOME items in the RV. It also is not strong enough to power high power items such as the AC units. Even though one of the AC units must be on the inverter power leg (because the 2nd AC is on the other). Now onto the generator. With the Xantrex AND the Marquis generator, the systems are integrated and you can take advantage of the generator autostart feature when the batteries become low. It auto starts/stops, which is great when shore power is not available. You can get more info on this at http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/87/p/1/pt/7/product.asp

The generator will also power both A/C units, and all other RV electrical items. We find that when tailgating at sporting events we can run our our AC devices (refrigerator, lights, TV, etc) overnight on the 4 6v batteries before recharging is required (about 8 hours). Your EU3000IS will charge the batteries and power other AC devices in the RV. It takes us a couple of hours to recharge the batteries from 10.5 volts to 80% of charge (the settings of the generator autostart). This occurs in the mornings and we take advantage of using the generator to run the coffee pot and hot water heater as well. By the time our ‘morning events’ are over, our batteries are charged for the day. If you’re going to be plugged into shore power most of the time, then the inverter and generator are not necessary. I will also advise you to get a gasoline powered generator. Gasoline is more readily available than propane and also provides more power per gallon than propane. Our gasoline Onan 5500 uses about ½ gallon of fuel per hour. We have a 10 gallon tank that we carry in the bed of the pickup and connect to the quick connect on the generator.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional or clarifying questions.

Robert

2007 Doubltree Elite Suite 36RS3 #3756
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote