Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
47hook

A/C water flood

Well maybe not exactly a flood, but lots of water: been in NC, with very high humidity for 2 weeks dealing with a death in the family. Had cleaned the return A/C filters after 1st week, then again just before leaving. That time had about 12 to 18 fluid oz's of water drip out of the curb side return duct, (front 13,500 A/C) which is just the luan wood floor, not the aluminum insulated top and sides of the duct work. Dried it out, and then the next day, same thing. Looked at the topside unit and couldn't see any really obvious issues.

Next day, after we had relocated enroute home, more or less, was in an RV park and had lots of rain overnight, also ran the A/C during this time and nothing! Sooo unless these things heal themselves, I'm wondering what's up? Haven't disassembled the unit to see if there is a blockage in where ever the normal drain water comes from, but I'm hopinhg one of you can suggest what may be happening.

From what I can tell, it isn't an external water leak, but internal leak. Will be going to Goshen to have the level up installed and have another issue with the kitchen roller crushing the linoleum and may go to see Tom Cross again to have that issue taken care of so might just have them look into this also. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem or can shed light on it.

Thanks, Gordon.

2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Motor31

The open pore foam strips the use to mount the unit on the roof will degrade even though they are not in direct sunlight. The internal condensation is supposed to drip onto the roof outside the foam mounting pad. You may have to see about sealing the gap between the roof and the bottom of the AC unit. Keep in mind that you cannot see all of the roof area under the AC when the top is off. A lot of it is buried under the AC components. Check to see if you have debris in the vent area of the unit by the coil in the underpan of the AC unit. It's supposed to route the condensation away from the vent.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
rdunk

High humidity possibly could be causing condensation, but my non-expert thinking would guess it would more likely condense in the incoming a/c duct, rather than the return duct. If your a/c is low on Freon, it would probably be icing up. When that happens the water has to go somewhere. As Motor said, may just be debris interfering with the normal drain.

One of my 15K a/c's seemed to be pouring way too much water off the roof. That is usually an indication of freezing up, which is usually an indication of low Freon. Had it checked, and the tech said it was low on Freon, from the factory. He said it was only drawing about half the amps it should have been drawing, for the existing summer temps. He said that was normal for low Freon. Since there is no provision for Freon service in these Dometic a/c's, Dometic furnished a new a/c, under warranty.

Good luck!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
47hook

Thanks for the help, I did check out the unit under the top cover, did see where the condensation is supposed to go. It did look like there might be some debris that would slow down the flow of water...but after a couple of years and no problems?

Will check under the unit, also; but I'm planning to go back to Howe and maybe have them check...Thanks again.
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote