Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Whirlwind

Fuel Transfer Tank

I am thinking about adding a diesel fuel transfer tank to my 2008 f450. I have been looking at a 90 gallon diamond aluminum tank with a tool box storage compartment on top. I know they make a 60 gallon one but the tool box is pretty shallow compared to the 90' and the 90 is only 50 bucks more. It has a 12-volt pump with a button mounted in the dash that you press to fill your stock tank manually when you want to add fuel to it. Fills thru the filler neck.My question is has anyone added this to their rig and if so what are your comments? I priced it locally at a pickup accessory store today,with installation it came to $1200.00. Some on the internet are priced near $2000.00. Any comments would be appreciated.

Whirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
I don't know about that one but also look at the tittan fuel tanks.

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
billr

I had a tank similar to what you describe for over 14yrs. Was the best thing I ever had in the pickups! Being able to get fuel when and where I wanted to, as well as better prices.

I had mine setup the same, a 12V pump mounted by the tank feeding into the main tank filler neck.

I added a 12V solenoid shut off valve so when the pump wasn't powered it shut off. Stops the siphoning through the pump. If you don't have that it will fill till the inlet hose is filled up and the filler neck is full. I didn't like that. Some folks don't even use a pump at all and gravity feed it same as when the fuel siphons back through a pump. Each their own.

Be sure to get a pump designed for Diesel there is a differnce between those and gas. It will not last.

If you are somewhat handy, check out TSC stores, they have the tanks there and any auto parts store has the rest. The install is pretty easy.

On the filler neck I cut the big hose and spliced in a piece of abs plastic pipe that fit perfectly and added a 90 degree fitting that secured into the pipe and the fill hose from the pump attached.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Gemstone

$1200 seems a tad steep for a convenience, but maybe I just got lucky.

I found a used tool box/50 gallon fuel tank for $100. I didn't want the tool box, so I left it with the seller. I sanded and painted the tank, strapped it down in the front of the bed, and plumbed it into the truck's fuel filler neck. Rather than wire a switch into the cab, I preferred to make a wire harness with a switch, and leave it connected to a portable motorcycle battery, which I hook up to the fuel pump when I want to transfer fuel. This may seem a bit Rube Goldburg, but it works, and I have less than $250 invested.

One thing I did learn along the way, was that the filler neck on the truck is not "weldable" (makes sense, don't want sparks when filling !) so I had to insert a piece of pipe, which had some hose connection ports welded in it...for the fuel and overflow hoses from the auxiliary tank.

I have read that filling a tank while driving could perhaps confuse the truck's computer, causing it to think there is something wrong because it thinks the truck is using no fuel, thus causing some unknown problem...(maybe someone on this forum can disprove this theory)...so I transfer fuel at stops.

Hope you are as fortunate in your search for a solution.

Gemstone
Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Motor31

Don't forget that every accessory and or load you add to the truck decreases the towing capacity on it. The weight of the tank and equipment it uses as well as the fuel decreases the load the truck can tow. If you are already marginal it can put you over the limit on towing capacity.

Having "longer legs" on the truck does mean you can look for the better priced fuel to save some money while traveling.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
billr

I think the total cost we had with a new tank/toolbox with pump etc was around $600. If you can find a used one even better! Check all the sites like Craigs list and Kijiji.

No issues for us transferring fuel on the go. I just used a kitchentimer to time the transfer and watch the gauge.

Mike's hit it on adding wt to the truck. With the 450 you would be better off than we were, but still need to check that.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
RSUITE

Fuel Transfer Tank

I got my combo/tank at Tractor Supply.....About 30 gallon fuel tank in front of Tool Box with 45 degree angle lid. All fits even with bed rails and I can still see hitch plate in rear view mirror. Tank cost about $600.00, but was not a regular stock item. (Not sure of current cost) Local shop charged me $100.00 to install manual shutoff valve and welded a small inlet to fill neck. My F-350 has factory 38 gallon tank and when I get the "Fifty mile to Empty" low fuel warning, I can drop the whole transfer tank without fear of overflow. Gravity takes quite a while. (15 to twenty minutes) I run everything through transfer tank to keep fuel fresh as possible. The 12 volt pump sounds very interesting. It would be simple to add.

REX
06 M/S 38RL3 #2873
Level-Up/Phase III
06 4D Ford King Ranch F-350 4XDWD
No Dogs....No Kids
RSUITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
RSUITE

Fuel Transfer Tank

Sorry about dupe post!!

REX
06 M/S 38RL3 #2873
Level-Up/Phase III
06 4D Ford King Ranch F-350 4XDWD
No Dogs....No Kids
RSUITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

aux fuel tanks

Another option is a tank from RDS Aluminum from Northern Tool. I have a 60 gal tank/toolbox in my 450--had it in my previous 350--and it gravity feeds into the truck filler line using a check valve also purchased from N. Tool. It will not overfill the truck tank and it just keeps the tank topped off as I drive. It caused some CEL issues on the '07 350--has not happened on the '09 450. The Miles to Empty stays at 415-490 until the aux tank empties, then the MTE starts downward.
I would not be without this extra tank option--I have easily paid for the original cost from fuel savings being able to check prices on gasbuddy and planning my purchases. 20cents/gal on 80-90 gal adds up.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote