Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Water Fiilter

Has anyone had then"Flow-Pur" water softener installed in their unit by DRV? Probably would be on the 08/09 units.

If so what do you think?????

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
JOHN EVANS

Ponch
We recently bought the softner at Camping World in Pensacola.We also have Travelsoft,which i found very hard to fill with solar salt thru a 3/4 inch hole and a funnel. I find the new one much more simple and cheaper to use. The only drawback is softwater and your ananoid rod in the waterheater it gets used up real fast so keep a close eye on it.If you know of anyone who wants to buy the slightly used Travelsoft let me know[/b]

JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
BobW

Pain in the neck. Don't do it. Cheeper to buy water if you need it that bad.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
sr

Ponch,

I have the Mark 8000 water softner installed and we love it. I have it permantly installed in the cargo bay and do not have to remove it to do the backwash with salt. I installed a flow meter to determine how many gallons I have used so I know approximatly when to backwash. I use a 300 to 400 gallon varible. It really determines how hard the water is when you backwash.
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr
Ponch,

I have the Mark 8000 water softner installed and we love it. I have it permantly installed in the cargo bay and do not have to remove it to do the backwash with salt. I installed a flow meter to determine how many gallons I have used so I know approximatly when to backwash. I use a 300 to 400 gallon varible. It really determines how hard the water is when you backwash.
I have a question about this. Don't you need to fill your water tank with water from your water softener, then use your pump to pressure the water system? This is what I heard when I was looking into it in Yuma.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
Old 05-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
sr

Bob,

I have a connection that i screw a hose from the fresh water spigot which goes to the "in" of the softner. The "out" of the softner goes to another connection that I screw a "Y" adapter on (the one with the small shut of levers). From the "Y" adapter, I have a short hose permanatly installed to the "fresh Water hookup of the trailer". The other "port" of the "Y" is open so I can fit a short hose and fill my holding tank with soft water and also this is where I backwash the softner and use it to hook up a hose to wash my truck and RV using soft water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p5010081_601.jpg (68.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg p5010080_724.jpg (41.6 KB, 129 views)
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
bstark

Bob, a water softener is a "flow through system" with no need to 'store' water.
You may be confusing that system with one while in Yuma you were probably enquiring or hearing about the "reverse osmosis" systems which are essentially a 'water treatment & filtering' system which processes water by passing water slowly through a membrane. These systems require you to process water on a fairly continuous basis for a few hours (you may use up to 5 gals of water to create one good one, waste goes down the drain) and store the water in your fresh tank to be used on demand with your on board pump.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstark
You may be confusing that system with one while in Yuma you were probably enquiring or hearing about the "reverse osmosis" systems which are essentially a 'water treatment & filtering' system which processes water by passing water slowly through a membrane.
You are correct. It was what I saw in Yuma. This system just didn't seam like a good idea for an RV. Plus the cost was out of sight.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
jdwilson3

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-45-detail.htm

This one is suitable for an RV, and the price is pretty good. They have been around for quite a while.

Here is another outfit, maybe more suitable for an RV,
http://www.crystalclearsupply.com/Se...=90&Click=1564
Old 05-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Gemstone

For this pitiful excuse for water along the Colorado River basin, the reverse osmosis system is IMO, the best solution for an RV. Most places around the country have good potable water and would not require the RO system, but that is just not the case here, you have to have something to remove the minerals and foul smell. The down side is that for every gallon of RO water that goes into my tank, 3 gallons go on the ground as filtered waste water. We water the grass and flowers with the waste water. Ah, to be back in the Ozarks or the Cascades where good water is taken for granted.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
terry and jo

Water Softener and Reverse Osmosis

While I have no experience with a water softener in an RV, we did live in a home here in Oklahoma where the water was pretty heavy in minerals.

The previous owner of the house had installed a water softener and for the most part it was really good. It really reduced the amount of soap one had to use in bathing and washing dishes or clothes.

However, it definitely had a salty taste and we notice some weight gain with the additional sodium we were consuming. So, since it was a Culligan water softener, we talked to them and they recommended the Reverse Osmosis (R/O) to us.

After putting in the R/O we noticed a lot better tasting water. It was a special spigot on the sink and it was also plumbed to the refrigerator and icemaker. In that case, it was well worth having.

But, having said all that, I now have to refer back to the poster that mentioned the hot water heater anode rod and "soft" water. I'm wondering if he meant the salt added to water to soften it caused a premature corroding of the anode rod. Does anyone else have any experience with "softened" water causing those or other problems?

We are still waiting for the house to sell before we get our Mobile Suites, so I sure want to make sure of what I need when we order it.

Thanks for any replies.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote