Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
King Mattress

2 years ago we replaced the mattress with a Sealy FIRM memory foam mattress. Last night Howard told me that he had a back ache every morning....I have had one for 2 years but didn't want to tell him after paying a fortune for this thing!
I don't even remember how thick it's supposed to be to slide under the dresser. At the time some of you were using the sleep number bed....how is that holding up? Any other experiments out there?
The memory foam is very heavy and I will be glad to see it go...but I don't know where to begin looking for a new solution!

EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
jdwilson3

We have a queen size Select Comfort that we have been using since 2002. We just moved into a house, and bought a King Sleep Number for the house.

Camping World is the ONLY place to get an RV KING Sleep Number. Select Comfort will not sell you one.

Now to add a MAYBE to the above....possibly you can get one from DRV as I believe they are an option on the new Suites. Someone else can verify that.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
berghild

king mattress

what is the difference between an RV king sleep nuimber and a regular one?
my mattress measures the same as a regular mattress....unless the regular one is too thick?
sounds like you are happy with it if you bought one for the house. Did you have to deflate it a little to put it under the dresser? I thoujght maybe that might be hard on the unit.
ETC
Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
RonS

We have the RV Sleep number and it works just fine. Only time we have let any air out is when we are traveling in the Mts. The RV job is the only one which is the correct size. Now having said that I know others who have the King and just let air out before the slide is pulled in.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
billr

We looked into getting one a few years ago, the King that fits in the MS is smaller than the home size king and only CW sells them as mentioned. They have exclusive rights to it for RV size king.

Foks we know have one and love it. They removed the metal matress base with all the springs and bars and replaced it with plywood. We did the same and found our old matress was ok after it was on plywood.

I think the newer MS have the plywood if they don't have the Hyd bed deal??

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Motor31

We took measurements and found that the dimensions were the same for a regular king size other than height. It is 8" IIRC. We went to several mattress stores and found one we liked at a reasonable price, far less than a Sealy unit. We are still using it comfortably 4 years later. We did not get the hydraulic bed option on our rig.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
jdwilson3

Here are the sizes: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t..._king_mattress

I believe the king in our ES is 72X80

Absolutely, absolutely: Place a Select Comfort (Sleep Number) on a solid foundation (plywood, etc) We used our Queen in our other 5th Wheel and it was great (plywood base). Then we put it on a regular bed foundation and I never got it comfortable...Sounds weird, but true. When we ordered our King model for the house, the people at the store said the same thing.

We have been comfortable on the regular (RV) King mattress in our ES. So, changing it over to a Sleep Number is not a priority right now.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
berghild

king mattress

i have the metal, hydraulic lift frame. It sounds like what you are saying is that I should not use the sleep number with that. Useless thing it is too....boy would I like to dump that heavy thing!!
I guess i will start shopping in Fresno on Wednesday.
The mattess should be 8 inches thick right? I sure do miss the pillow top that we had in the house!
THe mattress I have now is a regular king, not an RV size King...(whatever that is, is it shorter or what?
ETC
Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
Folks we know have one and love it. They removed the metal mattress base with all the springs and bars and replaced it with plywood. We did the same and found our old mattress was ok after it was on plywood.
I too removed the trampoline type base and replaced it with plywood with 2X2 supports in the middle between the plywood and the dropped frame.
It is much more comfortable with better support. I used two pieces of plywood so the head and foot would still raise up.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
rdunk

Quote bergchild: "I have the metal, hydraulic lift frame. It sounds like what you are saying is that I should not use the sleep number with that. Useless thing it is too....boy would I like to dump that heavy thing"!!
.................................................. ...........................................
"Useless"?????? ...........While making the bed is not my responsibility (lol), I would say that maybe you haven't tried to make the bed without using the hydraulic lift. We have the hyd. bed lift, and, if we were to buy another Suites, it also would have the lift, if for nothing more than for just how much easier it makes for DW changing the bed!!

Actually, as I think about this, without the hyd. bed lift, the DW probably would make sure that making the bed would be my responsibility!!!!!!!! (lol)

Can't comment on the "mattress" subject since we are still sleeping on the Mobile Suites orignal equipement mattress.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
berghild

mattress

yes, i agree....that is the only thing that i use it for.....changing the sheets!!!!
ETC
Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
hitchup

The lift on our 2006 ES was only used for changing sheets. But we opted for the QN mattress in our 2009 MS to make it easier to find a replacement mattress.

Found it was a great choice. It's very easy to change them now, even with a side table on both sides of bed. DRV left plenty of space to push bedding down. And the platform doesn't catch and tear my expensive sheets like on the metal springs.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #13
anijet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchup
The lift on our 2006 ES was only used for changing sheets. But we opted for the QN mattress in our 2009 MS to make it easier to find a replacement mattress.

Found it was a great choice. It's very easy to change them now, even with a side table on both sides of bed. DRV left plenty of space to push bedding down. And the platform doesn't catch and tear my expensive sheets like on the metal springs.
We made a similar choice. We opted for the queen with no side stands. Makes for plenty of room to make the bed. Original mattress only lasted a couple of months of full-time use. Since we are now only part-time, we have the same mattress in the RV as the house.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
RSUITE

We have used "King Sleep Number Bed" on metal frame in our MS for over one year now. (We used one in home for over ten years.) After two weeks on MS FOAM, we purchased RV Mattress from CW and installed it ourselves. We added heavy Duct Tape to metal frame at points that could cause problems due to puncturing mattress. (Especially at corners.) I drilled small hole in base to run 110 cord to outlet next to closet door. (It was placed to clear Slide-out movement.) We sold our home two weeks ago and are "NEW Fultimers now." I will keep you posted as to how it holds up. The air cells appear to be the same size in both the home and RV matresses. The difference seems to be in foam inserts around sleep cells and, of course, the quilted unit.
06 M/S 38RL3 #2873
Level-Up/Phase III
06 4D Ford King Ranch F-350 4XDWD
No Dogs....No Kids
RSUITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
berghild

king matress

yes i will be anxious to hear how it works out. we are way up in the mountains and have decided to wait until we are in civilization in the fall to make any kind of switch so that it will be easier to take advantage of those trils period offers.
i am kind of put off by what camping world charges for the mattress after what i paid for theis firm foam thing. It took me a yhear of no interest payments to pay it off!
for now i sleep in the bed and wake up with a back ache and howard is slee[ing in the double lazly-boy.....no an ideal arrangement. He sleeps okay buy i miss him!
keep us posted.
ETC
Old 07-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #16
sje

king mattress

I have had my 2007 select suite for about a month. haven't had a chance to sleep on the mattress, although i think it is pretty uncomfortable. I looked at the tag on the mattress and it says it is 70 by 80 which is not what the size is said to be, 72 by 80. Yesterday we went to a mattess factory in omaha, to get a foam topper made for it. the salesman suggested we bring in the mattress and he would rebuild it and intergrate a memory foam 2.5'' topper into it. Since the mattress was hardly used I think this is the route I will try first. OUr other alternative was to buy a mattress with a foam topper that he said would work great on a plywood foundation. It was about 800, he said he would rebuild our current one for about 350. we had a foam topper for our previous fifth wheel and it seem to slide around too much. the only problem is hauling our mattress 100 miles to the factory. sje