Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
golf_bears

GE Microwave Selection Question?

We are in the final stages of completing our MS TK3 specifications. A question arose on the GE microwave oven selection. The standard unit is the GE Convection microwave oven, the optional unit is the GE Advantium microwave oven. We will not be getting the oven beneath the cook top, want the extra space for storage. The microwave will be used for baking such things as muffins, meat loaf, pies, etc. Is the upgrade to the Advantium worth the cost or is the standard microwave oven just fine for normal baking purposes? Would appreciate your input, especially those of you who do a lot of baking. Thanks for your input.

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
cptxguys

Hey there. We ordered our Mobile Suite with the Advantium Oven (an no lower oven). Since that time, the oven has 'died' due to too high a voltage in the RV (long story, my fault, expensive lesson!).

When investigating replacing the oven, we've decided to go with the microwave convection combo and NOT the advantium oven again.

For the type of cooking we do, we rarely used the cooking light and I found there were times that I wished that the Advantium could bake on more than just the round tray in the bottom.

The micro/convection unit is 1.7 cf and 1000 watts. It also has two shelves in addition to the rotating tray in the bottom for baking, so in theory, you can place 6 small plates in the oven at the same time.

The advantium oven is 1.4 cf and 900 watts. It only has the rotating tray in the bottom.

I hope this helps you in your decision.

Be sure to check the model that is being used by Doubeltree to ensure you get what you're expecting. Here's a link to what we've purchased to replace the advantium oven -
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...?brand_store=1

2007 Doubltree Elite Suite 36RS3 #3756
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
RGordon

We went with the GE Advantium and no gas oven. Needed the extra drawer space than a useless gas oven. We love our Advantium oven and would go that route again if we had to make same choice. It is wonderful to cook with and it steps you through all the settings making it fool proof. If you can swing it, go for it, you will not be disappointed.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
RGordon

We went with the GE Advantium and no gas oven. Needed the extra drawer space than a useless gas oven. We love our Advantium oven and would go that route again if we had to make same choice. It is wonderful to cook with and it steps you through all the settings making it fool proof. If you can swing it, go for it, you will not be disappointed.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
rdgent

I have owned both and the GE Convection microwave will
serve you well. Convection is the key to good bakeing.
In ordering our current 38 we chose to not order the advantium
and have not missed it.
West Florida Previous unit 36 RS3 #912
New unit 38 RL3 #3414
rdgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
sigo'suite

We went with the GE Profile SpaceMaker Oven (model # JVM1490BH01). Have been very happy with the results when baking, browns nicely etc. Have baked roasts to brownies in it with results as good as a conventional oven. Understand, we have never had an Advantium; but from our experience with the SpaceMaker, we would not spend the extra money for the Advantium.
FWIW
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
hitchup

Ours came with the GE Micro/Convection. The only problem we've had is the interior bulb has burned out twice. First time covered under warranty & GE repairman came out to the RVPark. Second time, David replaced it. We ordered bulb online & even got an extra one just in case.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
Gunship Guy

We ordered the Advantium and the conventional gas oven. The Advantium works great. The Speed Cook function cuts down on cook time. We use the gas oven for larger dishes that won't fit in the Advantium. We ordered both ovens in order to have a back up should the Advantium ever fail. No problems in 2 years.
Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
kfrimr

We ordered our MS with the GE Micro/Convection and the conventional gas oven. We have been very pleased with the choice. We have a gas oven when we boon dock or have limited electricity. Right now we are boon docking at my parents place with 20 amp service, so we have used the gas oven. When we have more power the Micro/Convection works great even for things that need to be browned. We considered the Advantium but I think we have the best of both, for our lifestyle. Jan is planning on baking pies, turkey and trimmings for Thanksgiving. May take some planning in the small space but very doable.
Kent & Jan
kfrimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
bstark

We have the Avantium and gas oven as well but to answer your query re: Ge Profile or Avantium, I believe that the essential difference between the two is one of internal programs available to simplify the cooking process. My opinion would be that either will cook to your satisfaction once you're familiar with it.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
hitchup

Happy Thanksgiving!

FYI: we are spending our first Thanksgiving alone, since we didn't get sent south this winter. Since I can't live without some Turkey leftovers, figured one of the 8+ lb young turkeys we found at WM a would fit in the micro/convc. But there's not enough air circulation since we need to use the rack in Bake mode.

Rather than donate it or try to hunt up a bigger over, we got creative. If you've got a Saws All, it will cut right through a frozen turkey. Just be sure to use a New blade. Had half for Sunday dinner & other half is for Thursday.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
golf_bears

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchup
FYI: we are spending our first Thanksgiving alone, since we didn't get sent south this winter. Since I can't live without some Turkey leftovers, figured one of the 8+ lb young turkeys we found at WM a would fit in the micro/convc. But there's not enough air circulation since we need to use the rack in Bake mode.

Rather than donate it or try to hunt up a bigger over, we got creative. If you've got a Saws All, it will cut right through a frozen turkey. Just be sure to use a New blade. Had half for Sunday dinner & other half is for Thursday.
Hitchup, very creative! Enjoy the holiday and thanks for all your input.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #13
bstark

hitchup: I love it, very creative!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #14
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
Ours came with the GE Micro/Convection. The only problem we've had is the interior bulb has burned out twice. First time covered under warranty & GE repairman came out to the RVPark. Second time, David replaced it. We ordered bulb online & even got an extra one just in case.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question.

Where is the bulb?
Ours has went out too, and I can't seem to find it.
Is it that strange looking thing behind the plastic panel?
If so,,how do I get it out?
Where do I get new ones?

Thank you in advance
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #15
hitchup

To get to the interior bulb, you have to remove the wooden panel on the front. That allows you to remove the front grill on m/c. Standing on a stool, you can then reach in & pull it out. Bulb is halogen, so use a paper towel when installing new one.

We ordered ours online at GEAPPLIANCES.

http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/

Part # has changed since we got ours. If it's still under warranty, this is also how we got service to get the first bulb replaced.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:31 AM   #16
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Thank you for the information
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #17
bstark

Ditto on the info.