Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
laynlow

F250 vs F350

What exactly are the diffrerences between a F250 and F350. I'm guessing the F350 has bigger/more leaf springs. I believe the F350 has a Dana 60 and the F250 a Dana 40, but what else. Other then the Dana 60, could you make these changes to you F250 to bring up the payload? It's cheaper then selling/trading you F250 in for a F350, right...

laynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I see many modifications folks do to the 250 series trucks to make them either stronger, or better suited to the job of pulling weights they were not built for. Seems many decide after putting thousands of dollars into that truck, to just go buy a larger tow vehicle. In all the years of weighing trucks and trailers, starting out with a truck that came equipped to do the job has been the least expensive way to tow, but here's what I would do. Upgrade the tires and wheels to safely carry the weights you need to carry. Change the rear springs and add either air bags or some other leveling system. Give the trailer disc brakes and buy a air hitch for the truck. The truck will still be overloaded as far as the tag in the door goes, but the towing experience will be better than in the stock form.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I just saw your other post and with the truck you just bought, you might be fine, but I still suggest the disc brakes on that new trailer. The correct way to know for sure is weigh everything, truck before hooked up, truck hooked to the trailer. See exactly where the numbers fall.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 07-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
laynlow

Thank you for your replies, we appreciate it!
Old 07-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
laynlow

I can upgrade the tires, no problem. I'm not sure what you mean by upgrading the wheels. Right now it has the King Ranch wheels with GoodYear 275/65 - 20 E rated, what do you recommend?
Ford's 2010 towing guide has the 2010 F250 6.4 TD Crew Cab, SRW rated at 15,300 5th wheel towing capacity and 12,500 conventional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripit
I see many modifications folks do to the 250 series trucks to make them either stronger, or better suited to the job of pulling weights they were not built for. Seems many decide after putting thousands of dollars into that truck, to just go buy a larger tow vehicle. In all the years of weighing trucks and trailers, starting out with a truck that came equipped to do the job has been the least expensive way to tow, but here's what I would do. Upgrade the tires and wheels to safely carry the weights you need to carry. Change the rear springs and add either air bags or some other leveling system. Give the trailer disc brakes and buy a air hitch for the truck. The truck will still be overloaded as far as the tag in the door goes, but the towing experience will be better than in the stock form.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Stripit

I don't have any of my tire papers near me, but you need to see what a 20 inch tire and wheel is designed to carry for weight. Others have switched the tires and wheels to 19.5 inch that will easily carry a heavier load that those 20 inch will. I was concerned that even though the truck will tow and move the trailer you pick, the tires could be over loaded when the pin weight is factored in. Many times the weak link in the picture is the load capacity of the wheels and tires.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 07-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
wingnut60
Site Team

250 towing

According to Tirerack.com, your tires are rated to carry 3705lbs each, or 7410 on the rear axle. You will need to weigh your truck as loaded to tow and see what is on the rear axle. Then take 20% of the GVWR of the trailer (not dry, or unloaded) and add that to the axle weight you already have. At that point, you should see an overload situation on the GAWR of the rear axle. Yes, you are maybe ok on the tow rating, but just about every 3/4 ton pickup is overloaded on the rear axle due the fifth wheel pin weight. Even 20% of the dry weight will probably overload the rear axle.

For several years, the ONLY difference on Ford 250/350 trucks were the 4" blocks on the 350s--I believe that has changed on the 2008-up trucks.

People tow all the time with 3/4T pickups and do allright--its your decision.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
laynlow

I'm checking in to suspension upgrade options just in case. The link below was sent to me from Ford as well as from the Ford Truck forum and it has our truck at a 15300 lb 5th wheel towing capacity and a 12500 lb conventional tow rating. I'm quessing Ford should be on target with these numbers.

Thanks!

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...RDUTYsep09.pdf