Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
SuiteCook

Automatic ice maker in dometic fridge not working

I don't expect to get much sympathy (or help) from those of you who do not have an auto ice maker, but I am hoping some others will be able to offer some suggestions. I have lost the recipe for ice cubes and no longer have ice trays so I would really like to get mine working again.
The problem started the last time that we defosted the freezer. We defrosted it again, as there was a chunk of ice stuck in the back of the unit. All chunks are now gone but still no ice. Anyone have any ideas about what to do next?

SuiteCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
keithandpenne

Check the back of the fridg in the outside compartment to see if it is wet along the bottom. If so, you may have a bad water tube going from the solenoid up the back of the fridge to the ice maker. Our tubing had deteriorated and cracked so that no water could get into the box, only ran down the outside.

I picked up a new tube from the local hardware store and replaced it using silver tape to secure the heating wire to it.

2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
SuiteCook

Thanks for the suggestion. We will check it out. My SH (Sweet Hubby) tells me however, that there is ice in the unit, but it is not dumping into the holder below. Therefore the water seems to be flowing and feezing. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Motor31

This may not work but I'd suggest you defrost the freezer again. The icemaker may have been a bit overfull and the ice locked the mechanism. Just a thought.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
RonS

Please post your fix, in case others have this same problem. Mine leaks in the ice basket then freezes everything together. I have adjusted cube size twice, will do it again.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Check to see if the heating unit is getting power.
It might be a bad fuse. Or it(heater) is bad
I don't have the ice maker in my Suite but I have worked on regular ice makers.
The ice tray has a heater in it that loosens the ice cubes so they can be pushed or dumped out.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
bobreed00

Have you resolved this problem? We are having the exact same problem and would appreciate knowing what you discovered.
Thanks.
Bob Reed
bobreed00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
SuiteCook

We called Dometic and they think that it is the heater, so Huck is probably right (see previous post). We will have to take our Suite in and get the unit replaced - will do this when we head south. In the meatime we are buying ice. Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade cubes? LOL
Old 09-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
bobreed00

Thanks for your prompt reply. We were afraid it would not be an easy fix. We are Workamping in central Arizona and won't be near tech help for awhile yet. It looks like we will also be buying cubes.
Thanks again.
Bob
bobreed00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
SuiteCook

Ice maker was replaced on Friday at Indiana Interstate (Lagrange). Did not take very long and all is working well now.

Anyone want to buy my ice cube trays (best offer)? I will throw in the recipe for ice cubes for free!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:31 AM   #11
AceParkle

We have also the same problem. Unfortunately, I have no idea to solve it. So the only choice is to go in a technician to repair it. Fortunately, after a day, my refrigerator is properly working.