Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
clev

Upgrades

My wife and I have done a lot to our DRV and here are a few upgrades; thought that I'd post a picture. We covered the vents and then color match painted the covers and the A/C covers, plus painted over the skylight. There are 4 solar panels on the roof, dinette awning, side awnings, and rear awning; you can't see them, but there are two side roller wheels for low clearances, and the hitch has been beefed up on the sides and a wide metal tab welded in the center up to the frame. Finally, the swivel wheel trailer for carrying the generator and fuel can. This weekend, we're installing an ultra guard mud flap across the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Upgrades.jpg (341.5 KB, 41 views)

'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
porthole

You've been busy!

I'd like to see your rollers. I expect that to be a problem on our rig if it ever gets here.

porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #3
OneReallyOldGuy

I'm curious about the "low clearance rollers" too. What are they and how do they work?
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
clev

Good morning, OldGuy. These rollers were really a must have on lower trailers. They prevent dragging the rear of the trailer over low places in the road or inclines. With higher trailers, not really needed. I had mine on a low TT many years ago and then traded it to a 36 ft Holiday Rambler that sat really high and didn't need them. But, because they were pretty expensive, I took them off of the trailer before I traded it. Not needing them, they've sat on a shelf in my garage since 1994, when I got the HR. While under my MS last month, checking the bottom for possible leak areas and generally just rolling around and looking, I saw that the bottom of the trailer hitch, just below the receiver hole, had pretty serious drag marks. So, I called in a welder and installed the wheels; they're rated at about 10k pounds.

I posted a few pictures on the SOITC under General Topics, "Wash and Wax". I haven't had to clean them up and paint them; maybe this weekend.
'17 36RSSB3///2012 F350 KR, LWB/SRW, Bilsteins, antisway bar, Bilstein steering stabilizer, Airlift air bags, wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, synthetic fluid, KEM, PIP, & Tyrant tunes w/SCR4 programming, Edge CTS gauge monitoring, G37 2017 turbo, ATS Stage I transmission.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
oldbird

Just curious, why paint the skylight?
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
clev

Here in South Central Texas, it can exceed 105 degrees in summer months. Even in the 80’s, have you stood under one of those sky lights in full sun? The heat is enormous. Painting them reduces the amount of heat that enters the coach. Also, installing and painting vent covers aids in keeping the coach cooler. Inside, cushions in vent openings and foam insulation around each window helps the ac keep it cool.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Cummins12V98

Personally we like the light the Skylight brings into the bathroom/shower area. We stay in Palm Springs, CA area sometimes into June when temps are above 120. NEVER have felt the "enormous" heat coming thru the Skylight.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
porthole

My wife likes skylights - I don't ......

So the new rig, which finally came in yesterday - has no skylight
Old 05-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
clev

Good morning, cummins, port. It’s all in individual perception, and perhaps ‘enormous’ was a poor choice of words. But, I did feel heat through the sky light, both in this coach and my last, and when we pull into a campground with a hot rv, and the ac is struggling to cool it down, any unnecessary heat is too much...for me.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #10
porthole

Terry - I'm with you, never cared for skylights in my house, cars and trucks or my RV. Now if I was 6'+ tall maybe I would have a different opinion.

Besides, that shade DRV uses really does nothing for me.

This could all change once we get the rig and start using it. We have the front bath model, and there are no windows.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
Good morning, cummins, port. It’s all in individual perception, and perhaps ‘enormous’ was a poor choice of words. But, I did feel heat through the sky light, both in this coach and my last, and when we pull into a campground with a hot rv, and the ac is struggling to cool it down, any unnecessary heat is too much...for me.
That is why we have 3 AC's because I don't want to worry about every place some heat may come in.

YES nice to have choices!!!

Old 05-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #12
clev

Good afternoon, cummins. Maybe it’s my VietNam paranonia, but since we had the disagreement over the SRW pickups, you seem to knit pick me a lot.

Yes, it’s great to have choices, but I don’t think, and I could be wrong here, most of us don’t have 3 AC’s. BUT....even if I did, I would still be energy conscious; whether in my RV or at home. Anything that compromises the interior comfort of my home, either on the road or at home, gets fixed. When I designed and had my home built, I had the best windows that were available installed. But, in the late afternoon sun in the summer, I still pull the drapes on the western side. Your post makes no sense; “I’ve got 3AC’s and don’t care about heat entering my RV, I just lower the thermostat”. Read that a few times and maybe you’ll comprehend how ludicrous it reads.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #13
clev

I took another look at the top of your coach, cummins, and you haven’t covered your vents. You have three 14 x 14 holes in your roof with only a thin piece of plastic over them. You have 120 degree heat/sun boiling through them, plus the sky light, and you don’t feel heat? I really don’t see how even 3 AC’s could cool it down in 120 degree heat.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #14
porthole

This picture makes the trailer look 60’ long !

“The Long LongTrailer”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

Old 05-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #15
porthole

Quote:
, and when we pull into a campground with a hot rv, and the ac is struggling to cool it down, any unnecessary heat is too much...for me.
On really hot days I’ll stop about an hour out and turn on the genny, get the AC’s going.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #16
clev

Now that I have my remote control generators effectively set up, I will probably do the same.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #17
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Good afternoon, cummins. Maybe it’s my VietNam paranonia, but since we had the disagreement over the SRW pickups, you seem to knit pick me a lot.

Yes, it’s great to have choices, but I don’t think, and I could be wrong here, most of us don’t have 3 AC’s. BUT....even if I did, I would still be energy conscious; whether in my RV or at home. Anything that compromises the interior comfort of my home, either on the road or at home, gets fixed. When I designed and had my home built, I had the best windows that were available installed. But, in the late afternoon sun in the summer, I still pull the drapes on the western side. Your post makes no sense; “I’ve got 3AC’s and don’t care about heat entering my RV, I just lower the thermostat”. Read that a few times and maybe you’ll comprehend how ludicrous it reads.
Sorry I was NOT nit picking you!!!

As far as 3 AC's I can tell you EVERY DRV Alicia at RollingRetreats orderers for her stock has 3 AC's. I am also willing to bet at least 90% she orderers for customers have 3 units. I at first thought she was trying to up sell us until I listened to her reasons. We thank her all the time when it's HOT out and we are COOL inside. I have been in Palm Springs with our DRV having an AC go out. So if I ever have a unit go out and I will I will still be comfortable enough until I get it fixed.

“I’ve got 3AC’s and don’t care about heat entering my RV, I just lower the thermostat”.

I really don't see the issue with that quote. What am I supposed to do??? Live with a RV that is not comfortable? I am not going to have a skylight that I ordered or 3 roof vents covered to make it more comfortable. Plain and simple these LARGE RV's do not do well in high temps.

“I’ve got 3AC’s and don’t care about heat entering my RV, I just lower the thermostat”. I assume I said that but it was not from this thread.

Man sure did not intend to upset you into calling names "ludicrous".

Old 05-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #18
Cummins12V98

Quote:
I took another look at the top of your coach, cummins, and you haven’t covered your vents. You have three 14 x 14 holes in your roof with only a thin piece of plastic over them. You have 120 degree heat/sun boiling through them, plus the sky light, and you don’t feel heat? I really don’t see how even 3 AC’s could cool it down in 120 degree heat.

That pic is at Rolling Retreats before I took delivery.

I did add the Fantastic Vent covers so I could have my fans work in all weather, NOT for heat intrusion. I am sure the covers help some.

Plain and simple the 3 AC units cool the rig with no issue up to 122. Above that I don't know.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #19
Cummins12V98

"This picture makes the trailer look 60’ long !

“The Long LongTrailer” "

Yes and it's heavy just like Lucy's!!!

Old 05-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #20
clev

Good morning, cummins; LOL, I’m not upset. I really find our conversations informative and entertaining. As far as the vent covers, the vents work the same with or without the covers. The main purpose of the cover is to create another layer so the sun is not penetrating the single thin plastic lid. But, a black one will also absorb and transfer heat and a light colored one will reflect it. Again, I may be more sensitive to incoming heat than you.
There was another thread, not sure if it was SOITC, fifth, or Thor, where the discussion was about better insulating the coach for better heating and cooling. There’s quite a few of us out here that share that concern. But, I know that school of thought is not for everyone. I’ve found over my 50 years of RV’ing, most buy an RV, use the dog crap out of it, and trade after a few years. It takes me longer than that just to ‘start’ getting it the way that I want it. My last coach was a 1994 Holiday Rambler that looked as good as new, and I was still upgrading it when I sold it in 2016, 22 years later. And yes, it had vent covers; LOL.

I started seeing and noticing DRV’s, probably 2016, I have seen no more than 5 or 6 on the road or in a campground, and I’ve only seen one really large one with 3 AC’s. I feel pretty sure that most larger ones have 3AC’s but not sure about the smaller one’s

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, cummins.