Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Happytrails

Ford 550 bumpy ride

We looked at and drove a Ford 550 yesterday. We are shopping for a truck for the 5th wheel we plan to purchase in a few months. The ride was very bumpy. I mean VERY bumpy. Until yesterday we hadn't driven anything larger than a F350. The salesman told us that this was the nature of the beast. This truck had airbags and I assume they had already put air in them. The salesman was not very knowledgable in that respect. For those of you that have experience with trucks - is this the nature of the beast?? Is there anything that can be added to help with this issue? Now please understand we didn't expect a smooth Cadillac ride but this was really a bit bumpy.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Old 08-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Motor31

If it had airbags the pressure can be reduced (if they were inflated at all) based on reduced weight of the empty truck. The same for the tires. When you are not towing you can reduce the tire pressure to the level recomended by the tire manufacturer for the actual weight on the axle at the time. Example, if the tires are rated for 125 PSI at max load you can reduce it based on the actual weight (go to a truck scale and weigh each axle seperately) on the axle. If the weight chart says you can reduce the pressure to 60 PSI it will help the ride and also help you keep the center tread from wearing sooner by being bulged out from high pressure and insufficient weight to press it flat. Just remember to pump the system and tires back up before towing again.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
impumalanga

Bumpy ride

Yep, our F450 has the hardest ride in town.

After an hour of driving, with or without our trailer we feel exhausted by the moving/shaking and bouncing. Every bone in our body feels like it aged!

We have been investigating the options and are going to have air suspension installed.

Thank goodness we purchased our F450 used, and at a really good price, making this modification possible.
impumalanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
john

truck

I added the Mor/Ryde RE to my F350 while at the rally. It sure helped the ride. Just about as good as a car. Well worth the money
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
impumalanga

F450

We stopped at Mor/ryde during the rally too, but their designs do not accommodate the F450.

We also considered the air bags but with our F450 bed and rear suspension this was not a solution, we would have to cut some of the springs, there would be no gurantees of an improved ride......

Yes, our 450 is a different beast.
impumalanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
gypsygirl

I own a 2002 Ford 550 and have the Links self leveling air ride. We are fulltimers and have been to Alaska, New Foundland, and back and forth across the U.S. several times and I am very satisfiedwith the system. There are days we towed for 8 to 10 hours with no problem.

Rick

gypsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote