Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
AlmostRetired

Zone 1 A/C inoperable 2016 PS3 ES

I couldn't find anything with a search and I'm hoping someone can help me out. The Dometic thermostat is funky. Zone 2 (bedroom) works fine and shows the current setting and when you press the "inside temp" it reads accurately also. Zone 1 (LR) is another story. The inside temp reads something like 52 deg so the A/C won't come on. After the bedroom A/C runs and starts cooling the fiver, the Zone 1 will continue to drop its reading all the way down to 32 degrees. The fan will circulate but the compressor will not initiate. It's still brand new and I've had it back to the dealer for attempt number 4 to rectify it. They've changed the sensor but the problem still occurs. Adding to the madness is the fact it is somewhat intermittent. Although 70% of the time it acts up, it will occasionally work correctly for a while. It doesn't matter if it is on generator power, park power, or the 50 amp service I installed at home. I'm heading to Sturgis on Wednesday and immediately heading to WeFest (Country music festival) after that and should see temps approaching 90 degrees and zero shade for the next two weeks. If I set the Zone 1 and 2 to automatic, the bedroom A/C will operate AND the furnace will run simultaneously since the system is confused. I figure I'm going to have to help the dealer diagnose the issue and get it fixed in the next two days. I'm hopeful someone else has experienced this issue and resolved it!

AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
steadfast

We have the MS version of the 2016 PS3. (love it) If you have replaced the temperature probe then the problem must be in the control head!? There is a reset procedure in the instructions. That would be my first step.
Good luck.

steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
Dogpaws

The fact that the problem is intermittent would raise the possibility of a loose connection, likely the thermostat wire. If the connection is broken, it will likely default to a high or low reading.

Since the dealer has not been able to solve the issue, I would suggest calling Dometic and speaking to a tech. Ask if what you are experiencing is indicative of a thermistor (sensor) not being connected. If this is the case, you could then "wiggle" the connections from the thermistor wire at both ends, the thermistor end and the connection at the rear of the thermostat. If this solves the problem, then you can replace the connector.
It could also be as simple as a staple through the wire.
2015 MS RSB3, #7272, MORryde IS, MORryde pinbox
2014 Ram 3500 DRW, Curt 24K hitch
Dogpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
AlmostRetired

Thanks for the replies. It makes sense to me and I haven't ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. It's at the dealer now so I'll share your suggestions.
AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
Kerry

Make sure you are in auto mode in all the zones.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote