Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
Goaltender1

Rock Guards

I am getting a new 5r and would like some input on the best rock guards to protect it. Have a Sierra 3500 with a 2 1/2 inch receiver. Thanks in advance.

Goaltender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Some of it depends on what you want it to look like vs protection--
RockTamers may do the best for stopping MOST of the rocks from hitting the fiver, but always some will find their way thru. They also are somewhat ungainly-looking (my opinion) and tend to rock up/down without some type of stablization. As for dually fender guards--Gatorbacks work as do DuraFlaps.
I have WeatherTech dually mud guards on my 450--so far, almost no rock dings in about 15k towing.
Keep in mind that some of the tires extend outside of the fenders and will throw rocks past the flaps...
I think Duraflaps offers some wider models, but when they extend past the fenders, well, doesn't add to the beauty of the truck--but certainly do a better job against rocks.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
Notanlines

Most of us tend to support the particular piece of equipment that we own, whether it is the best or not. I'll use 5th wheel hitches as an example. Most members will go down fighting claiming their particular setup is the very best.
Goaltender, I'm going to take a neutral stand on your rock guard subject and just tell you that we use Rock-tamers. It was a fair price, it does a more than reasonable job, and it has held up well, still looking like new.
That being said, is it the best? It depends on who you ask. Does it look manly and high-tech? Prolly not. But it is removable in about 15 seconds, is installed in about 25 seconds (two bolts and jamb nuts to tighten on the hitch/receiver) and is not particularly unattractive. This is a short video showing the actual use.

Oh, it comes in a really nice cardboard box and takes one about an hour and a half to assemble. YMMV
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
Mtntrek

Weighing in with a third entry, DuraFlaps on four corners. No complaints.

I'd expect all product to perform better than nothing. More of a personal preference.
Happy trails.
DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Tenbrooks

FYI, in Texas, all dually trucks (by law) must have mud flaps installed on the rear wheels. Every new dually truck sold in Texas has rear wheel mud flaps (similar to the DuraFlaps) installed by the dealership regardless of the brand - Ford, GMC, Chevy, Ram. I have them on my F350 and have never had a rock chip problem with my 5th wheel. If you drive a dually in Texas without mud flaps, you will be ticketed.
2019 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4
Tenbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Hanr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post

Oh, it comes in a really nice cardboard box and takes one about an hour and a half to assemble. YMMV
Great video! Always nice to "see" how the flaps will move while traveling.

I'm also in the process of deciding on mud/rock flaps. I care more about function than appearance. Actually, if the product is functional then I like it's appearance. If it's purdy, but doesn't do it's job, then what's the point of owning it?
Hanr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
Traveling Home

Another option is to have the lower front part of the 5th wheel Rhino lines or Line-X'd. They both can do color matching.
Traveling Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Home View Post
Another option is to have the lower front part of the 5th wheel Rhino lines or Line-X'd. They both can do color matching.
I purchased a bed liner material and rolled it on the front area to protect from the rocks/stones damaging the painted surface. I believe it cost about $50 in material and my labor. Held up for 8 years and never failed, easy to clean and looked good.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote