Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #21
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Anyone that 'rams' the pin into the hitch isn't much of a driver. The B&W I use just needs a slight push as the pin plate slides up onto the hitch plate. It closes automatically, you can see the clamps around the pin. Just need to drop the safety pin into the hole and lock it. Grease? That is what teflon plates are for, no mess, no dirt.
Its not just there, there are a few moving components underneath that need that shot of grease!

17Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #22
wingnut60
Site Team

OK, agree. Was actually thinking about the plate-to-plate friction that semis use grease on. Certainly need to grease the pivot zerk, I think there is only one.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #23
KBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Oaks View Post
Anderson vs Pullrite, sorry folks, Pullrite!!! http://www.pullrite.com/products/superlite-series

Yes everyone told me Anderson, so I looked and did not buy, later on after buying a Resse I saw an ad for Pullrite and the pic alone had me chasing one down to look see, I bought it.

WHY? Simple the Anderson is a tension based setup that is on 2 planes. The Pullrite uses the Roman arch x 2 with the ball cup in the center and 2 steel plates for horizontal reinforcement. In, short, superior engineering and a significantly larger safety envelope.

Vs

So question;

When you pull the Pull rite mount out do you still have those two steel rails in the bed?
KBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #24
CHAPS2018

I have a bit over 12k mi on the Andersen. Pulled up and down the mountains and their claims are spot on. I did spend $700ish for it. It is easy to remove/reinstall. In 5 min I can have a clean bed. It’s worth every penny.
CHAPS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:28 AM   #25
Notanlines

KBL, yes you do if your truck doesn’t have the puck system.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:38 AM   #26
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBL View Post
So question;

When you pull the Pull rite mount out do you still have those two steel rails in the bed?
On that one I did, that is in my 2017 F 350 that did not come with the Puck/gooseneck system so you use the ISR rails.

My 2019 F 350 has the puck/gooseneck and I use a different model number for the Pullrite, its the 2600 series, exactly the same but attaches to the gooseneck ball, so when I remove it the rails go with it.
17Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #27
Richarddjr

I got Anderson fifth wheel hitch with my 2017 Springdale 253FWRE. The Anderson is far superior than either a goose neck or traditional fifth wheel hitch in ease and tow ability.
Richarddjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #28
theboondork.com

I've used an Andersen hitch for two years and about 12,000 miles to pull my Arctic Fox 30 foot fifth wheel that loaded weighs about 12,000 pounds. I'm a boondocker so I tow on a lot of dirt roads, and I spend my summers in Colorado so I tow a lot in the mountains.

I believe the Andersen hitch tows a lot smoother than the flat plate hitches I had before, and when it's hitched, it's hitched and you can tell at a glance. I like mine and would have no problems buying another one.

theboondork.com
theboondork.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #29
Richarddjr

They are great, we went to hitch up put hitch on ball and front landing gear malfunctions. New parts, several days wait for parts.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #30
KBL

Well I am buying one to pull my Silverback 31IK and I am looking forward to it.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #31
Richarddjr

Discovered (my wife who should have been engineer) that we had not taken weight off right front due to inexperience and trepidation. Went out this morning hitched and landing gea4 raised right up. Really makes you feel dumb when you try to be too careful and have little experience using something.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #32
flyingjack

Any gooseneck is a BAD idea for 5ers. I've been pulling trailers (mostly work) for over 25 yrs; bumper pull, gooseneck and 5ers so I had gooseneck hitches for work and put one on my 2013 Montana when new for commonality. B&W flip over; very good unit. I get into tighter areas than most at some pretty shakey campgrounds while working on construction. That being said, a gooseneck allows approx 20+ degrees side to side leaning; it only takes about 5 degrees before mine mashed the pickup bed rail causing $7k damage. Turning around at night in a remote area and didn't see pothole that pickup rear tire dropped into while backing. It was my fault for not checking turn around site; but, nevertheless, a std 5th wheel hitch would have stressed the truck attach points but not mashed the bed rail or damage 5er nose. If you will never get off the level asphalt or whatever; gooseneck is fine. BTW; went with B&W Companion and MorRyde rubber pin box. And for those of you that will start bashing me for being a bad driver and not paying attention; let's talk after pulling trailers for 25 yrs and 100,000+ miles.
Good luck whichever way you go.
Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #33
CHAPS2018

2 yr update for me on this thread. We now have 15k miles on the hitch. I had a great 4k mile rip this fall up to Wisconsin. Solo, hitch/unhitch could not be easier.

I will say one of my engineer buds is getting tired of the chucking with his traditional hitch. I showed him the andersen, sent him links on the pull-rite (roman arch version). Recommended he read reviews on each.

Just a note--there was a foot note on the pull rite page about 2015 and newer GM trucks need some special rail mount reinforcement. I didn't fully understand but it was another $100ish

I believe both ball/socket based versions are good solutions over a traditional hitch. My money is with Andersen tho. I have had excellent customer service experiences with them.
CHAPS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:38 AM   #34
flyingjack

Watched Anderson video; looks like a good hitch. The maneuverability they talk about is in my opinion the gooseneck downfall. Reread my post above. Actual experience from a very experienced trailer puller. That being said, that has been my experience also with a lot of construction trailers as well. I really like the Anderson set up-one man.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #35
KBL

I did a 6 day run from Ky to AZ VIA Hwy 10 to miss a cold front. In rain,25 MPH head winds very tall hills unbelievable ruff roads . This hitch did very well. I also got low on fuel and had to use a tight Quick Stop and was very impressed with how much I could turn to get my rig back out there.
It is well worth a serious look if anyone is thinking of a new hitch. Easy to hook and unhook also.