Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
bardave

WARNING

If you go in for service at Camping World in Katy TX, unload your entire rig.

I know we all hear from disgruntled customers and read their comments from lousy experiences from this service or that service. I guess I will join the list.... but will not go into specific customer service except to say it was non-existent.

My main issue is Theft. Yes, the service folks stole my $360 surge protector and a few of the other plugs I had locked in my power box. I have been in repair facilities too many times in my travels, yet I have never had anything stolen.

The Katy store has a sign posted with words to the effect that I must remove all items of value from my rig ...just how in the heck can a person do that, when it is fully loaded.
My questions to them go unanswered and my only recourse is to warn folks.

I wrote letters to management at Camping World and to the CEO of Freedom Roads, their parent company... neither organization feels it is even worth while to respond to me.

I will get another surge protector, not from Camping World, they now have one too many.

David & Barbara Maxwell
US Army retired (20+ years)
USAF retired (20+ years)
After 40+ years - time to go play
bardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
jdwilson3

Theft

One of the problems with trying to secure anything in an RV...every RV storage compartment uses a 751 key. Unless you replace the locks, everyone can open your compartment.

When your rig is at a dealer for service, even "shoppers" walking thru the area can open your storage compartments.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Mogolfers

theft

When we were in Mesa, AZ we went to a locksmith. We took all of our compartment locks in and for 7 locks we paid $7 a lock to rekey them. We feel a little safer now but a place like Camping World probably has all of the keys to all locks, how sad!
2011 38REPS4 Mobile Suite #5831
"Each day is a gift"
Mogolfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
jdwilson3

Locks

And, that is exactly why we are changing ours to barrel locks. Not everyone has them!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
rdunk

Sorry for your tough experience. I am also very sorry to hear that Camping World is unwilling to accept any responsibility, or to help you in any manner- just because they have a sign??? They need to get out of the repair business, if they can't do any better than that.

Probably the most secure surge protector would be one that is "hard-wired". But I also wanted a portable. After looking at the products available, I thought the Progressive Dynamics PT50C led the pack. That is what I recently bought. (Compare the specifications). The best price, and a really good price for this item, I found at the RV Parts Center, on-line.
The below link will take you there.

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/prodsel...ID=172&CID=245

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
SuiteWheels

OMG, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and sad to hear of the distrust it sets with all of us who have to take our rig in for repairs whenever needed.

Guess we will consider changing all the locks also....this is a heads up warning to the rest of us.....just sorry it's at your expense.
SuiteWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
turledee

warning

So sad to here about your experience. We will be picking up our MS from CW in New Braunsfels in about a week. It has been there since Thanksgiving. Although I took most everything out, I will be checking it over thoroughly I will be letting the NB store know of your experience, because what happens at one store reflects on the others.

By the way, where do you camp frequently in Tx??
turledee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
bardave

I have written Camping World no less than 5 times about the Theft of my property (property that I bought from them) ....
and not one time has anyone in that organization even taken the time to respond.

I have returned my camping world card....10% off is a joke anyway...they just jack up prices.....but I guess some folks think they are getting a deal.

I have requested to be removed from their mailing list....and now everything I get from them via mail.... I stuff the envelope and mail it back to them...without postage.

Im really not sure how they stay in business

but if you go into them for servcie.....make sure you unload you entire rig.....the keys to your rig are common and all employees have a key to your rig.....

David & Barbara Maxwell
USAF retired (20+ years)
Old 05-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
Hobo

I just had a real good experience at the new CW in Robertsdale, AL. At the same time the CW off I-12 north of New Orleans would hardly give me the time of day. It all has to do with the local management but you would think the national over sight should be consistent with the best of their stores. In all they have just gotten too big and diverse for their own good.
Rick
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
OB

Hey Rick, check your PM. OB
04 36TK3 #1207 w/5th airborne pin hitch
OB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
Motor31

After having had 2 bad experiances with Camping World I don't buy anything from them if I can get it anywhere else.

One was in a poor install of a replacement toilet that required a 240 mile round trip back to the store for the job to be done again when the unit broke. The workmen also left a stove burner open on in the trailer when they replaced the toilet the second time so the trailer was full of propane when I got it. The second was when they lost all records of my recently renewed "membership" and tried to charge me for it again at the store. I generally find the same or comparable items at other vendors for less money.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #12
jdwilson3

Theft

Bardave, have you written to Trailer Life magazine to see if they will intercede on your behalf with Camping World?

Is the Camping World in Katy Texas co-located with an RV dealer? The one in Tucson AZ is on the grounds of Beaudry RV, and Camping World does not have a service department. The Camping World instalation is done by Beaudry technicians, therefore, most folks around here don't buy installed items at Camping World, as they don't want Beaudry anywhere near their RV!!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
bardave

Yes the Katy TX camping world has an associated dealer there.... South West RV.. and to my knowledge they are both owned by the same people (Freedom Roads) but operate independently of each other.

I think writing to Trailer Life will be a waste of time too.... my story is probably one of many they get and I do believe they only put in their magazine success' stories by them.

As far as the theft by camping world employees ...I wrote it off as experience...I simply sucked it up, admit I was dealing with crooks and thieves and will not return for any reason. Hopefully I have warned enough folks to make them think twice about doing business at any camping world. and if they must go....unload their rig of any valuables....That is the least I could do....camping world / Freedom roads both have totally ignored me.

BTW I purchase another surge protector and had it permanently installed by a reputable dealer. ...there are some good dealers out there....

David & Barbara Maxwell
USAF retired (20+ years)