Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
traveler

Blowout on I40

After 3 years and 12000 miles I had my first blowout on my 2005 TK3. Pretty much a non- event, the left rear tire, but there will be some body work needed--no systems were affected. And as things go the body work will probably be expensive. In the grand scheme of things, the damage is not too bad. I would include pictures, but do not know how to do this on this website. I figured it out!

By the way, I have the PressurePro monitoring system and had just paged through the tires. All were at about 120 PSI, warmed up somewhat from running all day from their 110 PSI starting pressure. The tire just blew. The pressure alarm sounded instantly, but that is about the least you would expect--there was no tire back there anymore.This system did help me from having a problem last year when a rim started leaking and I was able to change wheels before pressures dropped below 90 pounds.

The main problem was finding a tire . The LT235 85R16 Load Range G tire is not too common. And there are about a 1000 truck service places on I40 between Amarillo and Albuquerque. I was assured by an open-Sunday tire place that they could get the tire on Monday. We will see about that. My blowout happened at 3pm on Saturday. Good Sam Service took care of it and sent somone out to fix it--after a two hour wait--but by then I had changed the tire myself.

I will buy two new tires tomorrow and will have 6 good tires-one not on a rim. I do not want to get caught again on a weekend or in some remote place without a spare. If you have the tire you can get it mounted almost anyplace. The 6th tire will take up some room in my basement, but I am not a fulltimer and do not need all of the space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1725__small__822.jpg (54.4 KB, 390 views)
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote