Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
HDFAN

Living in a 5th wheel

Hello everyone, I'm a soon-to-be fifth wheel owner with questions. My most important one is more of an opinion question. I would like to direct it toward those of you who have actually lived in a fifth wheel for a decent period of time, say 6 months or more. So here's the question: Given that the weather conditions where I live are decent, how hard would it be to live out of a fifth wheel for a whole year? We can shorten it to only a 7 month period but I was just wondering how you people felt about living in one for an extended period of time. We are going to have to move 3 different times while I'm on my clinicals so that's why we're buying one. So, just in your humble opinion, should we wait and only do it for 7 months, or did you enjoy it SO MUCH that you would recommend it for an ENTIRE YEAR. Just a little background on us: It will be my wife and I and our two dogs. We have the tow rig but not the fifth wheel yet and we're looking to spend $10-12k on the fifth wheel. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

HDFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

living in a fifth wheel

HDFAN.....You might want to repost this in the DRV section as this is the most active part of this website.

As to your question--hopefully someone will answer with some real life situations. As to me, we have 3 small dogs and are only out 2-3 weeks at a time. I don't think it is reasonable to get a livable fifth wheel for your purposes for the amount you mention--expect to spend at least 2X more, unless you are very lucky or settle for an older unit.

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
HDFAN

Yeah, I'm looking at older units. I've got my eye on an 02 Hitch hiker right now for $11,500. Just trying to do a lot of research before I commit. Thanks for the reply. Do you know anything about Crossroads (the brand)? Any good?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
Motor31

Answered in the full timer section. It's best to make your inquiry in one spot rather than the same thing in several places in the forum.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
HDFAN

Yeah, sorry. I posted in this spot before I knew what a "fulltimer" was so I posted there as well.