Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
HOWITTRO

DRV Quality

We are looking to buy a new DRV this fall and I am sensing that owners are pleased with the quality of their Mobile Suites. Am I correct in this assumption. I know you will always get some issues but I am concerned about the structural integrity of the unit.
Thanks
Bob

HOWITTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Based on what I have read on several forums, I don't feel that DRV is way better or way worse than other brands, but I do feel they are overpriced. However, if you are looking for a 40' or larger unit, they may have one of the best until you hit Continental or such custom makers.
Structural integrity? When you say that I think "will it fall apart"--no. If you are thinking systems and operations, again I think no better/worse than other high-end mfgs.
Ours is 10 years old now and it is holding together pretty well...
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
MooseSuite

We have owned two DRV units, a quality product for 4 season use and extended living. Do your homework and compare both structure and price.
As well, price on a vehicle to pull it.

Maybe a Class A or C might be something to look at. Consider all options and opinions.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
SlowNnice

I am a full timer 4 seasons and spent two winters in Minnesota and Iowa. I know they have a lot of insulation which is a big help. You still need to skirt. That was the biggest selling point for me. I had no problems with frost or pipe issues. We got ours maxed out with extras and the upgraded suspension and breaks (3 axle). It rides sweet.

I agree with wingnut about the heavy price, but we have a 43 footer and I did not see any to compare. We have been to RV shows since we purchased our unit and I think it is the best out there.

If you purchase one, don't look back, just enjoy it.

I will say that I wish some of the documentation was better on the stereo wiring, yup, that is all I have to say about that. We love our DRV.
SlowNnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
missourijan

You can get a lot of information on the structural stuff on Drv's website. They do buy their frames from Lippert but are spec'd for Drv. Look at other manufacturers and compare the frame quality. We have owned a Drv since 2006, a 2007 Select Suite that we lived in for 5 1/2 years and now a 2012 Mobile Suite that we've lived in for 3 1/2 years. I've heard of only one person that had a frame problem. That discussion is on the SOITC website, which is getting upgraded. I believe Drv builds good quality units. We would buy another.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:28 AM   #6
Dranoel

I'm happy with our DRV. Only minor issues after 2 yrs.
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
RickandJanice

Another DRV Mobile Suites fan here. We have had minimal issues with ours. For the price, I think they are still one of the best built rigs for full time use and you will not find one better insulated.

Word of caution, DRV does build a line called Tradition that is lighter construction and compares more to a Montana or Redwood but is higher priced. Personally I am not impressed with the Tradition line by DRV and feel it is over priced.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:06 AM   #8
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowNnice View Post
we have a 43 footer
SlowNnice,

What is your 43 foot model?

We are ordering a 43 foot Atlanta.

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
MooseSuite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowNnice View Post
I am a full timer 4 seasons and spent two winters in Minnesota and Iowa. I know they have a lot of insulation which is a big help. You still need to skirt. That was the biggest selling point for me. I had no problems with frost or pipe issues. We got ours maxed out with extras and the upgraded suspension and breaks (3 axle). It rides sweet.

I agree with wingnut about the heavy price, but we have a 43 footer and I did not see any to compare. We have been to RV shows since we purchased our unit and I think it is the best out there.

If you purchase one, don't look back, just enjoy it.

I will say that I wish some of the documentation was better on the stereo wiring, yup, that is all I have to say about that. We love our DRV.
The stereo and entertainment centre is really pretty straight forward, once you go through the functions of the Sony tuner by user manual, or get a demo and run thru by a tech. Our 2014 MS has a 2011 Sony tuner. Newer tuners have improved functions.
That all said the wiring is just a mess to detangle, components velcroved to one another, in cramped quarters.
The bedroom speakers carry half of the stereo sound the other half is in the basement speakers. And you can only shut down the upper room speakers. So if you want to listen to your outside speakers only which you can not, you get half the stereo sound, and you have to play all speakers on the system. Its crazy.
The IR block is pretty neat, in that you can run components from the main to bedroom and basement TVs.
Another thing I discovered is that the FM tuner is connected to the roof antenna so if you can get pretty good reception with the TV2 Aux pressed in. Make sure you set up your sony system thru your TV, just turn GUI mode on, on your remote to accomplish this. Again all in the manual.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
WJ401

New just today and want to learn! We are considering a DRV too and the price does seem high compared to most other 5th wheels. What thoughts does anyone have on Tradition vs Mobile Suites? Is the difference in price justified? I realize the structure is I-beam vs stacked tube steel, but does the extra cost justify it?
WJ401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #11
wingnut60
Site Team

Ask that question to Joezilla above--he is going from a Tradition to a Suites as we speak.
Joe
Old 08-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #12
orca

I have owned a 2015 DRV Fullhouse for only 6 weeks and i am very disappointed in the number of warranty items that i am dealing with! The list is too long to go into here but some are major engineering flubs to small anoying items. For the amount they charge for these trailers they should go thru extensive pre delivery at the factory so the customer does not have to find stupid things like missing heating vents hidden under the carpet!
orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
tjfotenot

Love ours

We have a 2014 43' Lexington and we love ours. We have had some minor stupid quality issues but now that we have all of them worked out, we wouldn't consider anything else. The slide awnings do not drain well and collect many gallons of water after a rain. This is because the awnings are almost level from the roof and not pitched enough. I had to make pvc supports under them. Many screws over torqued. The quality is no doubt better than the cheaper manufacturers. 6 point leveling is awesome.

You can significantly reduce the msrp of the coach by negotiating with many different dealers. I started at 35% off and got 30% final sale. Happy camping.
tjfotenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #14
WJ401

Thanks for the input, especially on the discounting experience. If anyone has transitioned from a Tradition to a Mobile Suites it would be interesting to hear your experiences and the "whys" for selecting a Tradition first. Obviously price is a large factor, but is there a big difference in functionality?
WJ401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #15
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ401 View Post
Thanks for the input, especially on the discounting experience. If anyone has transitioned from a Tradition to a Mobile Suites it would be interesting to hear your experiences and the "whys" for selecting a Tradition first. Obviously price is a large factor, but is there a big difference in functionality?
We are transitioning from a Select Suites to a Mobile Suites. The Tradition is built on the same 12" I beam frame as our SS, but our SS is more like a Mobile Suites than a Tradition. The SS has the same 3.5" walls, where the Tradition has 2" walls like all the rest of the RV's besides DRV. We have been very pleased with our SS, but would not go with a Tradition. Just go through any Mobile Suite and then go through a Tradition. You will never be satisfied with a Tradition after seeing a MS.

While we are pleased with our SS, I will tell you that we had quite a few problems with it in the first few months of ownership. DRV reimbursed us nearly $3000 for problems that were fixed by mobile techs and different dealerships for warranty work. We are fulltimers and are not going back to our purchasing dealership anytime in our lifetime. All we have to do to be satisfied with our SS is to visit friends in their SOB's. Our SS is very much like a small home. We are going to love our new 43' Atlanta even more!!

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
MooseSuite

Keep in mind resale value.
Add the MS standards to Tradition options, MS comes out a winner and better constructed trailer.
As well compare MS standards to other brands. MS has longevity in resale and FT living.

You must have the tow vehicle to pull.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #17
Kerry

Orca, I second what you posted. I too had a heat vent missed and covered in carpet. Thor's philosophy is to get as many units off line as fast as you can and do more next time. 90 % of the problems I've had could have been eliminated if more time and attention to detail had been taken on the assembly line QC has to be next to non existent. It's like " if you see something wrong, don't worry about it. The dealer will fix it or the customer will bring it back to the factory to get fixed".Sad
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #18
MooseSuite

Hold it, don't throw a bad blanket over everything. Ive been threw a number of plant tours over the years and the the QC inspections pre paint have been excellent in my opinion, many mark ups on the exterior and post-it notes fixes on the interior. Im not saying you're wrong, but just give them, DRV a chance to correct your issues first. Give Kyle Miller a call or someone on the SMT at DRV.
Im sorry to hear about this, we love the product even with the issues we have encountered.
P.S. If it was any vent other than the bedroom, then I agree with you negligent.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
Kerry

Let me elaborate on what I previously said. I bought my unit at RVSforLess. Not one bad word about this dealership, good people. I spent , I think, 15 days at the dealership as they fixed various things on my unit. Some things I had to go to the factory to have fixed. I'm happy with what was said "the bones" of the unit, however to list all the problems would take about four pages. DRV has been good to work with to get most things fixed. I know a little bit about RV's. I worked in the business for 32 yrs, I know things break, no one builds a perfect unit. They worked on my unit for 3 days at the factory, the tech that worked on it was really good at fixing problems. Most of the problems I've had are things that should have been done correctly on the line at the time it was built, even the tech said so. I do have some issues that need fixing, and DRV is not willing to work with resolving the issues. One of these I will detail for everyone. At delivery I had a deep scratch on the center island countertop. RVS 4less said they would try and buff it out and if it wasn't fixed correctly, the factory had agreed to replace it. It was on the list to the factory before I arrived. When I got there, they said they would not replace the countertop as it was not bad enough to replace. The countertop has waves in it form where repairs were attempted. I didn't pay for a wavy countertop. i'm working on escalating it to higher management. The damage was not my fault and I don't feel to have it replaced I should have to pay for it. There are other items, but that being said, for a high end , high priced unit, QC should be a whole lot better.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #20
wingnut60
Site Team

MooseSuite,
I have been thru the factory twice--seen the unfinished units with the exterior marks and sticky notes inside. Still, many internet postings from new owners who have QC concerns.
Not sure where the answer lies, but for $100k+ there ought to be fewer of the post-delivery problems.
Just glad I don't have the decision facing me to buy a new unit...not sure I wouldn't want to take some chances with a lower initial cost if I would have to worry about fixing things--and that includes days the dealer has to spend on it before delivery.
My '05 has been a good unit, and surely with all the numbers of new DRVs being sold, there are happy, satisfied owners that we never hear from.
Joe