Old 01-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
WhoDat

Thank you for your insight and help thus far. I have an opportunity to purchase a pre-owned Ram 3500 that is in good shape, clean CARFAX. Included with the vehicle is a hitch and is a Ram M20. It appears to have been well taken care of and the specs look like it will tow the 5th wheel that I am about to purchase.

Are factory hitches as good, better, worse than those I can purchase elsewhere?

Are there any questions that I should be prepared to ask the current owner?

I will appreciate your help.

WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #12
wingnut60
Site Team

I think the factory hitch (if it is like a Ford model) is made by Reese and rated for 20k, but Ram may be different than Ford. It should work fine.
Not up on Ram info--but just approach it as you would any other used vehicle.

It IS a dually, right?

2015 38RSSA #7382
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #13
WhoDat

Yes. It is a dually. My friend has several GMC, Chevy, Ford, and Ram one tons that all appear in great shape. Both SRW and DRW. Tough decision. All have their own advantages and selling points. He is taking me to auction with him next week to look at some more. I’m itching to get on the road and get some “practice runs” in before the summer. I want to get as used to things as much as possible. Two long trips. One to South Dakota and another to Yellowstone.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #14
Notanlines

WhoDat, just as a side note to this conversation, I just opened our box with a large king cake (strawberry, praline and cream cheese) from Julie Anne's in Shreveport (thank you UPS) and tomorrow morning the meat pies from Louisiana Crawfish Company in Natchitoches will come from FedEx. Dinner for 10 tomorrow evening at our RV. Neighbors from Baton Rouge are doing gumbo and cornbread. I don't suppose I could get you to overnight about 15 pounds of crawfish to south Florida for another get together next week?
Now back to the TV you're shopping for......do you have any idea how many of us wish we were going along with you, Momma and your son on your trips? Just about every one of us.......
Harley Roadking & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #15
WhoDat

Wow, Notanlines. That sounds like a worthy feast. I just polished off a barbecue shrimp poboy but would kill for the meat pies. I lived in Natchitoches when I was younger and had hair. I could get you some flash frozen crawfish tales but the fresh stuff won’t be ready until the earliest March. I go on a crawfish binge after Easter. The prices go down dramatically after lent.
I can’t describe how ready I am to travel. I have been to almost thirty countries but I have barely left the southeastern part of the USA. I’ve dreamed about this for a long time.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #16
WhoDat

I picked up my towing vehicle today. I’ll have to admit it was a surreal moment. I traded a 1/2 ton (I called him Buddy) that is 15 years old. In homage to my old truck I’m naming my new one ton Big Buddy. Supposed to pick up the 5th wheel later this week. Delayed by Mardi Gras. It’s getting real.