Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
F350crew

5th Wheel Delimma

Hi,
I’m wanting to get a used 5th trailer. I just sold my 1994 25ft Terry. I’m trying not to spend no more then 18k.
Boy there is a lot of trailer brands. Very hard to tell quality from cookie cutter trailers.
Here is my Dilemma. I found a 2006 Nuwa Hitchhiker II LS trailer with three pop outs. This trailer is gorgeous and I understand the Hitchhiker is one of the best quality trailers made. They are wanting 19k for it. Based upon the year, that is pricey, but these are pricey trailers.
Then I have looked at comparable newer trailer around that price range. It’s all over the board, some seem cheap... it’s very hard to tell which ones are quality and which ones aren’t.
Would you guys buy a high end trailer that is older then a newer one?
Can anybody give me the top 5 high quality used trailer brands and models?

Thank you.

F350crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350crew View Post
Hi,
I’m wanting to get a used 5th trailer. I just sold my 1994 25ft Terry. I’m trying not to spend no more then 18k.
Boy there is a lot of trailer brands. Very hard to tell quality from cookie cutter trailers.
Here is my Dilemma. I found a 2006 Nuwa Hitchhiker II LS trailer with three pop outs. This trailer is gorgeous and I understand the Hitchhiker is one of the best quality trailers made. They are wanting 19k for it. Based upon the year, that is pricey, but these are pricey trailers.
Then I have looked at comparable newer trailer around that price range. It’s all over the board, some seem cheap... it’s very hard to tell which ones are quality and which ones aren’t.
Would you guys buy a high end trailer that is older then a newer one?
Can anybody give me the top 5 high quality used trailer brands and models?

Thank you.
Okay, I'll go first. Last October I bought a 2004 Keystone Cougar (28.8") for $6.4k. Not much going on as far as electronics are concerned in this year (good). It has been something I have been 100% capable of maintaining. Replaced the tires, brake assemblies and brakes. Came with a new roof AC, muy importante unless you stay north of the 45th parallel. All appliances are in great shape. We took it on a 2 month 8k mile trip this summer. I suppose what I am saying is that the older ones are better constructed. I do not know at which year build quality began to deteriorate but it was after 2004. The picture I include is of the framing of my 5th wheel. If the one that catches your eye does not meet this standard, politely suggest you keep looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame.jpg (40.4 KB, 10 views)

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
Notanlines

What do you plan on Towing this fifth wheel with? And do you realize how many things will have to immediately be replaced on a 16 year old RV? At a minimum, tires brakes and bearings and possibly a new roof.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
fjr vfr

IMHO that's way more than I would pay for a trailer that old.

It's VERY hard to make any suggestions because none of us know anything about your needs/wants, your budget or much about your tow vehicle other than F350 crew?

Are you full timing? Are you a weekend warrior? Do you boon-dock? Do you stay at RV resorts, etc? Some resort parks won't take trailers older than 10 years.

If It were me I would make a list of needs on one side and wants on the other. Budget is very important, but that doesn't mean spending money on more than you need.

Don't be in a hurry to spend! Think about what you like/didn't like about your last trailer. That's a good place to start.
Good luck and keep us updated.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote