Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Brand Forums > DRV | Formerly Doubletree
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #101
jdwilson3

Any updates?

Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #102
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
fridge

the refer is still freezing so we are turning it on and off. I am just tired of dealing with it. hope to find a new thermistoer in Redding tomorrow. probably not. I do not want to stay in one place long enough to wait for parts....have to stay put now until thursday or friday so may tackle the problem tomorrow. ice maker still broke....but Al Maguire has offered to talk me through fixing it....we shall see. spent most of today dealing with financial issues....like where does it go? How can we get more? the balance is what????? OMG!!!!!!!!! we will let you kbnow. cyndy

EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 PM   #103
wingnut60
Site Team

fridge problem

Cyndy--
Our refrigerator is now working as it is supposed to--and apparenty all my problems can be traced to the lack of consistent 12-volt electricity. Getting new batteries and getting them charged seems to have made everything work. It stays at 28-32 in fridge side set on #2 or #3, depending on the temps outside. The dual fans seem to be working, but the noise may be a problem if we can get used to them.

Side note to previous problems I detailed earlier--got everything set to go on vacation after getting trailer back from CW--they swore it was working ok. Sat at home for a week on shore power and fridge worked fine--day before leaving, tried to turn it over to gas--no go. Panic call to CW tells me it can only be lack of 12 volt--told them "nope, have 2 new Trojan T-105s" They said: check battery status with power off--they were right, 2 dead new batteries. Took it in next morning. $64 later, they pointed out my 12 volt cutoff switch was off, thats why batts were dead (don't remember messing with it, but???). Turned gen on and left on trip. 3 hours later, batts were charged enough, so turned gen off and left it to the truck to maintain charge. 2 more hours, batts were running down--fuse in truck was blown. Replace fuse, keep going, fridge now working great, never got warmer than 42 in fridge side during trip--which was due to lots of opening doors.

It has been a hassle, but nothing compared to your bad deal. Good luck, hope someday to hear it is fixed correctly.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #104
berghild

frdige/batteries

i have got to giond that fuse because it seems to me that the batteries should not be going down as much as they do when we are traveling and I have the inverter enabled. we unplug everything that we can find so that only the fridge is running off the 4 batteries and the xantrex 3000....seems to me they should be up fine.....we don't do long days either. I realize this is a big fridge but it just doesn't seem like it shouldbe going down like that. Cyndy
ETC
Old 10-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #105
berghild

fridg

we are still having problems....i can't find the page that told me how to check the OHM reading on the thermister. I still haven't replaced the new thermister...we have been turning refer on and off for a month.
It must be ther thermister though because freezer is 2.5 and freezer is at 28...so i have turned refer off.
We haven't been able to have Dometic send us a thermister because we didn't know where we would be or for howl long. Local dealer here has the thermister for us....i went to see it....it is the old model one that was in originaly.....the new one doesn't seem to be working .. it is black with a yellow tip. the old one was white.....the one waiting for me at JOhny Walkers RV is all white and bigger. The new ones also cost more that $20.00 more than the original......the one waiting for me is the old model with the new model price....am I making any sense?
Anyway can someone please remind on how to check the OHM reading...it seems like it required something special beside sticking the probes in the thermister.
And you MOtosat guys different subject....who do I call about BOW/Dish network problems.....besides DISH because they won't toucvh the Motsat. thanks CYNDY[/list]
ETC
Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #106
RGordon

Look at Page 2 on this topic!!! You said they said 8000 - 8500 ohm with thermister in ice water. Put probes in each side of connector! It is a two wire setup. Hope this will help. I believe if I ever have that much trouble, I will go to a residental refer.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #107
berghild

fridge

thank you, i kept reading and must have been skipping right over that part....i couldn't remember what the reading was supposed to be . With a unit barely over a year old it is criminal the trou ble that we have had. hopefully another new thermister will be the answer and that will be the end of it. :-)
ETC
Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #108
berghild

frdge still broken

for anyone still interested...the new thermister (the 3rd one) is installed. THis morning the temp was 26 degrees. I wish I could just put a bomb in it. I wonder what the next fix will be.
I called Al Maguire this morning and left a message. He is out of the office teaching a class until the 19th at 6:30 PM Maybe he can teach someone how to fix this. I took to long getting the new thermister installed...so I will just wait it out. Only thing is by the 19th I will be back in San Diego...where the techs installed the cooling unit and broke my ice maker! Have to find someone new.
Saw a Mobile Suite at Hidden Shores here in Yuma, Saw two in San Carlos Mexico and one in Vegas. THe ones in Mexico were from Wahington and the one here in Yuma was from Ontario, the one in vegas I don't know where from. It's like seeing long lost cousins on the road!
Cyndy
ETC
Old 11-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #109
rdunk

Cyndy, and Howard - Yes, some of us are still interested, and concerned for you. One, problem with all of this, is that your problem is the just opposite of what many of us have dealt with- ie your fridge too cold vs ours not getting cold enough. Either way it is really hard to live with, especially when fulltiming.

At 26 degrees, what is the setting on the fridge - 1 to 5?. Assuming it is on 1, then that is just a little too cold for the lettuce, or anything else but the ice.! lol lol. Having two freezer sections may not be all bad!!!!

Seriously, just keep on working with this until you have satisfactory fridge operation. It is obvious the fridge is cooling, just no temp control.

With everything you have gone through on this, with no success, I would suggest that you get in contact with your Doubletree (DRV) "Area Representative", and solicit his or her help. Your fridge is practically new, and has already had the cooling unit replaced, by a Dometic authorized rep., and that did not help. And, with considerable other Dometic. authorized tech help, they still cannot get this new fridge to work right. It sounds like to me your fridge was a "lemon" when your 2008 MS was delivered by the factory and your dealer. IMHO, it should be replaced, either by Dometic, or by DRV/DRV dealer with a complete new unit.

Yes, factory warranty excludes the numerous supplier warranted items, but, in my experience, DRV has always tried to help their down line customers, with any significant type problem, such as yours. DRV should be able to give Dometic some encouragement to replace your defective fridge.

Good Luck!!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #110
47hook

I believe one of the reasons that we read forums is to keep informed about what other folks have gone thru and what fixes there might exist for those problems. I have had good luck, not 100%, but good luck getting issues fixed on rv's, especially with Drv.

A little story: when I was much younger then, then now, I had a very exspensive car that had a problem. I felt that the warranty should fix everything. Can't begin to explain the amount of time, money and effort I spent to never get it fixed. Now, knowing what I know, I should have just bought what I knew, and later had proved to be, the new part that would have fixed everything. Might still have that 1968 Corvette Roadster with the L-89 engine (for those that know 'Vette's).

Maybe just buying a new refrig of what ever brand you want, on your dime, may be worth more than dealing with what you have been dealing with.

However it goes, hope you come out all right. FWITW, have had 3 Dometics that have cooled exacltly as they should.
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #111
berghild

fridge

buying a new fridge would be wonderful. If I could afford to do that, maybe I could also have the cabinet altered to get the 4 door fridge in there. THis is the stainless steel side by side....what is that $3,000? I am afraid that I will be eating out of an ice chest and just using the thing as a freezer if it comes to that...I do not have the money to buy a new fridge.
Right now we are in the middle of new tires for the truck and dental work for both of us....and praying that diesel doesn't go through the roof again.
A new part maybe...but I have already put out enough money on parts and house calls. I will just pray that they do the right thing and fix it. We still have a few days before Al Maguire gets back into the office.
ETC
Old 12-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #112
berghild

fridge problem

the refer is still freezing when on electirc at setting 1. we did notice that when we we were unhooked...on gas alone...no electric the temp rose to 41 degrees after several hours. it will be in the shop on tuesday of next week. now it has been suggested (sp?) that it may be the inverter/converter unit..
..let me look........right now after several hours on electric with a case of warm beer installed...setting 3 it is at 34.5..so I can can only imagine that it will go lower in the next few hours. when we go to bed the generator will be off and it will be on gas alone.....should be interesting to see what the temp is in the morning.
I have lost track of what-means-what..is it the controls or the converter or the man in the moon....all I know is it doesn't work rightl Next week it will spend the day with techs that I trust here in Las Vegas....they will figure it out. All i can give them is one day...I have surgery the next day and I am not living in a hotel after that.
the ice maker is still broken from when they installed the new cooking unit....I do not know what will happen with that. Al Maguire says he can talk me through the fix for that. We shall see......Merry Christmas to all, Cyndy
ETC
Old 12-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #113
nelsonraymond

Send a message via AIM to nelsonraymond
Refridge problems

Hi
Our refridge stop cooling back before Thanksging. We were in Gulf shores and got a quote for a new cooling unit. It was a couple hundred dollars less than a new refrig. We are just 3 months out of warranty so we are on our own. The repair comes with a 90 day warranty and a new fridge comes with a 3yr. So we opted. to replace the 10 cubic refridge. We found out there are none in the country and none to be built until the end of Dec. We will be in tHe Valley in TX. so we got one on order and bought a small one from walmart to get by on. Last week we got a call from Camping world in TX. where we placed the order and now they are saying mid Jan. I called Dometic and they say the cooling Units come from Sweden and they have some coming in in mid Dec. but not sure if we will get one of those units. Can you beleive this! 2 months to get a new refridge, this is very frustrating.
Janice
nelsonraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #114
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Where in the valley are you staying?

We will be arriving at Llano Grande in Mercedes on the 31st.
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #115
berghild

fridge

we are in Las Vegas, NV. until after the first of the year. then we will try to get to the SOITC rally in Quartzite, then the Escapees Happy Hour Jan 14 in Quartzite, then the Gypsy Gathering February, then back to Yuma and and on to San Diego for February 19th through April. THese are our first rallies so we are really looking forward to them.
ANother year we want to do the Valley in Texas.
ETC
Old 12-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #116
nelsonraymond

Send a message via AIM to nelsonraymond
Pounch
We will be staying at Southern Comfort in Weslaco. We have not stayed or even been there but some friends down there said it was a pretty nice park.
We developed another problem two days ago, our bedroom slide colapsed on those plasitic block glides. Don't know how many more times we can take the slide out before it totally fails. We are currently in Lake Charles, should arrive in TX monday nite.
Janice
nelsonraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #117
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Sorry to hear about the slide.

I also have heard the Southern Comfort was a good park.

Hopefully we will be able to get together while we are in the valley.
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #118
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonraymond
Pounch

We developed another problem two days ago, our bedroom slide colapsed on those plasitic block glides. Don't know how many more times we can take the slide out before it totally fails.
Janice
I fixed my plastic guide blocks myself. I took a piece of 2X10 about 5 ft long to use as the support under the bedroom slide. With the slide out, I also took a piece of 2X10 long enough to put upright under the slide. Using the 5 ft piece under the bottom of the slide and using the longer piece as a support, I then lowered the front of the trailer down causing the slide to lift up. You need to remove the weight off the glides to fix the problem. The glides are attached to the plastic filler and a piece of wood. I just removed everything and repositioned the location of the glides. You have to loosen the vertical trim to get the guides out, not a big job. Took total maybe 45 minutes to do everything. I also put some silicone lube on them now and they slide real easy.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #119
berghild

fridge

i have replaced thermister 3 times and had new cooking unit under warranty. new cooking unit seems to have kept it from getting too warm...now it freezes whether on electric or gas whether we are hooked to shore power or not. Al Maguire is now shipping us a control unit. All this headache and a simple fix may do it. To bad they dad to dent by freezer door and break my ice maker in the process. NDR1292 also\ CYNDY
ETC
Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #120
berghild

fridge control unit

well anyone tht is still watching....we now have a new control unit ....for 2 weeks on setting 1 it stayed between 34 and 36...this moring 31.9.
now we have new cooling unit, new thermistor (3) and new control. What the heck is going on??????

ETC