Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Dog Woman

Burglar picked our lock while we were inside

Soundly sleeping in one Saturday and someone, in full daylight of 8:00 am, picked our lock. Our deadbolt was locked. I thought it was my hubby who typically gets up earlier than me and I called out "Good morning" and then I heard the door close quietly. Did not discover he wasn't up early until I was wide awake and he was still in bed. Could not believe it. Then I got scared that someone had actually broken into our rig while we were in bed! Good thing this person was not a serial killer or something like that! Has anyone else had this happen to them? We thought someone must have had a master key, but discovered scratches and evidence someone had jimmed the lock. Hubby and I have talked & talked about this subject, but he says there is no way to protect yourself from someone so bold that would pick a lock in broad daylight. I suggested adding a sliding-chain type lock you see people add on apartment entry doors. What would you do?

2005 MS 31RS3 #1824
1996 F350 Heavy-Duty Diesel Crew Cab
Manual 5-speed, ZF5 transmission
AMSOIL synthetic oil products dealer
(ZO dealer#1079963)
Dog Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
JOHN EVANS

The chain lock is defeated by bolt cutters. short barrel 12 ga shotgun with double 00 is the best fix. but cleanup is tough

JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
47hook

Trooper is just waiting for someone to play with...Our 3 year old 100# German Shepherd Dog would put on quite a show for our 9 year old GSD who has a little more patience. She'd wait for him to come to her!!!
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
CherriandBob

So, was this in a campground? I can't imagine how that would feel. I agree that if someone wants in they will get in regardless. I bet you double check the locks at night. Take care.

Cherri
SOITC Charter Member #2730
Central Division
2006 38RL3
2004 Freightliner M2
robertsqualityrv.com
Enjoy life...Keep it simple
CherriandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Motor31

Where did this happen at?

I agree a dog makes a wonderful deterrent no matter what the size as the barking is an alarm feature.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
47hook

I agree with the alarm feature of a dog barking. With Trooper, though, you wouldn't want me to open the door. He has that wonderful deep gutteral sound of a p@ssed off GSD :D .

As long as we meet and greet, he's about the friendliest dog around!

I am also curious as to location of occurence...
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
wannabe

If you don't want a dog...can't imagine you not having one with your handle....you could wire the steps with an alarm. If you bought your unit in Everett, the dealer there had some problems with break-ins and they installed a regular car alarm to all their rv steps....as soon as someone stepped on the step, the alarm went off.
This had to be very scary!! Glad you guys are ok!!
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
Dog Woman

Burglar picked our lock while we were inside

Dear RV Friends ~~ John Evans, 47hook, CherriandBob, Motor 31, and wannabe: Yes, with my nickname, we always had dogs and most recently 2 shelties, but they have since passed on and currently we take care of my elderly mom's 3 schnausers because she now lives with us @ our residence in north part of Seattle. Do not travel as much as we would like because of that living arrangement, but soon, very soon. Believe it or not, the breakin happened at our house at top of our driveway. We had friends visiting & we let them sleep in house & we took to our 5er. When we do travel, we take our 2 kitties and 1 of them growls whenever anyone comes near the RV, but I bet not as loud as Trooper. Say, the suggestion of an alarm on the steps is a great idea! I suggested making a sign to post on the door that said "Insurance by Smith & Wesson". We do not carry a firearm when we travel, but have flares handy in case of road emergencies. Hubby says those could really cause some damage ...
2005 MS 31RS3 #1824
(ZO dealer#1079963)
Old 04-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
2 DA WDS

Are you sure one of your guests didnt open the door to just mess with you?

Are you sure this isnt an 'April Fools' post?

Your 'kitties' growl?

Has there been a problem with burgularies in your area?

Is this in a 'bad' part of town.

Sorry, all these just popped into my head.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
wannabe

Quote:
Your 'kitties' growl?
Both of mine growl...one is 19 lbs and my daughter has him at her apartment now. He growls at anyone outside the window.
The other is an attack cat.....seriously! She winds her way around visitor's legs and meows....and if you reach down to stroke her she bites. She will also growl if someone is at the door. Her mom left her when she was hours old...we hand raised her. She was raised with our puppy and didn't know how to meow..only bark..for months! She learned how to meow at the vets when she was spayed.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Dog Woman

yes , kitties growl

wannabe: yes, both our kitties growl. They started life @ a feed & grain store & have great "hunting genes"; found them stuck in a rabbit hutch with the sign: "free to a good home". They have always been vocal. Most people have never heard of cats that growl. But the common denominator: they were taken from their mother at a very early age. We live overlooking 75 acres of woods & a small lake. We have every kind of wildlife =coyotes, eagles, osprey, all manner of ducks, herons, kingfishers, you name it. Our cats are always looking "to da wds". While in the RV, they are an early warning for someone approaching. While dry camping away from a campground, they growl if they see deer or any wild animals. But I am sure they are not as loud as Trooper's growl ...
2005 MS 31RS3 #1824
(ZO dealer#1079963)
Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Dog Woman

Burglars prowling our neighborhood

2 DA WDS: Actually we live within city limits of a small town of single-family homes (no apartments) at northernmost part of greater Seattle. We have been experiencing a lot of prowlers looking for anything that isn't bolted down. And no, our guests didn't play a trick on us. They, too, had slept in the morning in question. We have taken to folding up the steps and often when we return home from errands, we find the steps are back down. We also have scratches from people trying to prye open the storage areas, but we unload those when we are home. Cannot believe how bold some people are. The local police are cruising our neighborhood more frequently, but unless you catch someone in the act, it is impossible to figure who is doing this. We will check out the car alarm system or we thought we might look into a SECURITY CAMERA, but want a portable one we can take when we travel. Do not want a tape system that runs constantly, rather a digital one you can play back on TV or laptop. Any suggestions?
2005 MS 31RS3 #1824
(ZO dealer#1079963)
Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
2 DA WDS

Heres something that might work for the door.
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index....ROD&ProdID=348
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
wannabe

Quote:
SECURITY CAMERA, but want a portable one we can take when we travel. Do not want a tape system that runs constantly, rather a digital one you can play back on TV or laptop. Any suggestions?
Check out Sam's Club or Costco and check out the "Q-See". It's a remote DVR system you can check from anywhere in the world via computer, or phone (if capable).
I did a search on Costco for "securty" and it popped up. About $300.

Having steps down when you return after leaving them up when you leave is disconcerting! Sounds like kids though....a pro would have been in/out in a matter of seconds with everything!! It's still not good!!

Good luck catching them!!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
Motor31

I tend to agree on the kids tampering idea. It's disgustingly easy to get into the basement areas. An adult would be inside in a matter of a few seconds no matter what you think. All it takes is a screw driver. The lock only keeps out the totally inept or those not really interested in getting in.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote