Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
Red Ram

Cargo door strut supports

Some time back there was a discussion on the struts on the cargo doors. I fixed mine and have pictures, but am not able to figure out the proceedure of attaching them yet.

Sorry to bring this up without more info, as it is, I would just as soon delete this post but can't seem to do that either. I will bring this back up when am able to get the photo's up.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Gemstone

What happened to the struts that required fixing ?

Regards

Gemstone

Old 09-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Red Ram

The lack of good suport at the bracket that attaches to the door. The one on the big cargo door was loose and one screw was broken.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
keithandpenne

Attaching photos

Red Ram, to add photos,

Once you have entered your text when you create a post, you then scroll down to the bottom of the reply to the "Add an Attachment" section. Go to the line named "Filename", click on the "Browse" button and migrate to the location your photo is stored on your computer. (Only difficult thing is knowing where your photo is located and its file name.) Click on the photo to select it, then the path to the photo will appear in the large cell on the "Filename" line.

Next step it to type in any comment you wish to make about the photo and then click "Add Attachment." If you wish to add another, follow the "on-screen prompts.

Once done, click preview to view or submit to post. Depending on your browser, connection speed and its through-put speed, it may take a few minutes to load.

Good luck and we will all be able to see exactly what the issue is.
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
bstark

There are really "Two" issues with the door struts.

Plate that struts mount to comes loose from door. It is fastened with a combo of rivets and adhesive caulking.

Strut bracket that fastens to plate with #8 sheet metal screws comes loose.

Refastening the original plate is possible but a larger plate that incorporates the metal edging of the door itself for at least 2 of the rivet holes and then using a good 5 minute apoxy works better.

The bracket screws that continually need monitoring can be dealt with by changing the method of mounting them to the plate while you have the plate removed by using countersink headed machine screws from the rear of the plate and nylok nuts on the visible side.

The other point that should be mentioned: The struts themselves are 60# rated struts that are "overkill" for the weight of that door. This in itself is putting too much force onto those plates and brackets when you are forcing the door down to close it.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Red Ram

Thanks Keith for the photo lesson. I will try again next week when we land at our next camp ground on the Oregon coast.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
caddojay

cargo door struts

We had issues with the door struts immediately and I questioned the size of the struts in a post over 2 years ago. We have replaced the aluminum plates with a simple metal plate that I cut and squared from scrap. The plate is held on with Gorilla glue and new pop rivets and the original screws. The plates when glued were held on with a clamp overnight to allow the glue to bond. The struts were replaced with similar 40# struts like the small door on the service side. They work fine. Just another snag in the unit. I have another issue with the kitchen slide and will begin a post for that to warn folks.
Texas' oldest and only natural lake
caddojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:30 AM   #8
Jack in Alaska

Door struts

The aluminum plates that the struts are mounted to on the door end ripped loose and bent on my rig. The MS dealer repaired them with larger steel plates and fastened them the same as the alum. ones. So far it is holding up well. I agreee that the struts are way too strong.
Also.......DO NOT let the doors slam down when closing. That is what was making mine go bad in the beginning.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
Red Ram

Door Support Plates

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to this post, but I could not get the pictures to load from my lap top by following Keith's directions. I hope to have better luck with my home computer.

(on edit) Nope I guess I am better with a hammer and wrench than computer skills. Still no luck with uploading pictures.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
jack_diane_freedom

We had the same problem with the plates breaking and the dealer changed them out with much larger plates with more rivets and we have not had a problem since.

jack_diane_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote