Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
golf_bears

Electric/Hydraulic Brake Problem with 2008 Ford F450

We are in the final stages of getting quotes for our MSTK3 and new TV Ford F450 and will be ordering soon. Not too long ago there was a post discussing the Ford F450 IBC (Integrated Brake Controller) in use with electric over hydraulic brakes. The problem was that the IBC gave a “false disconnect” problem code. Some time has elapsed since that last post so wondering if any solutions have surfaced.

My questions to those of you who specifically have the 2008 Ford F450 with the Ford IBC and electric over hydraulic brakes:

•Have you personally experienced this problem?

•What have you done if anything to resolve the problem?

•Did you splice in a second brake controller and if so which brand/model number did you use?

•I have heard that some individuals are just ignoring the false error code and continue to have functioning brakes, is this correct?

•Has anyone heard if Ford is working on solving the problem and when will it be in production?

•Do I need to specify any specific options on either the RV and/or the TV to deal with this problem?

•Any other fixes out there that are working safely?

In advance, thanks for all your input and sharing of your experiences and particularly your solutions to the problem.

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Hobo

The manufacture of the braking systems have taken care of the problem with the Ford and Prodigy brake controllers. Unless some one install old stock you should have no problem.
it posted right on my hydraulic unit that it is computable with both systems and it is almost 2 years old. I also have the Prodigy controller so I did check into it.

Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
sigo'suite

B R A K E S M A R T !!!!!!! If you want reliable brakes.

The following link may be of help:

http://trailerwest.com/pageBrakeSmart.php
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
igotjam

I have experienced problem. Finally installed Reese timer based controller. Works now (Finally) Had problems with Prodigy..just like Ford. If you replace Ford you need to keep Ford controller powered up but disconnected from plug. If you totally disconnect Ford controller it will give error messages on your dash. The whole experience was really frustrating..no help from Ford, Brakesmart or Dexter..(and it goes without saying DT was no help)..everything good now.
igotjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
igotjam

Sorry..Badmouthed Brakesmart in error...I meant Activebrake
igotjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
dz06

Ford Just doesn't Care!

EOH Disc brakes for 2008 F450 Ford pickup are not supported by ITBC.

So far brakes seem to function very well. but I do sometimes get "Trailer Disconnect" error. Error only occurs when activating brakes. No braking problems in 10k miles of towing.

Ford will not make any reply other than "Verified only with Electric Drum Brakes".
dz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
golf_bears

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and suggestions to date, all of you have been very helpful.

I thought I would give you an update on where I am at today.

I have been in touch with a truck upfitter who has successfully gotten around the Ford IBC controller problem without disconnecting or removing the Ford IBC. He wires in a third party controller of your choice.

What he does is wire in a three way switch, first position is neutral therefore neither controller is active, second position activates the Ford IBC only, third position activates the third party controller only. This approach apparently does not send the truck computer a disconnect signal. Sounds good to me, anyone have any experience with this approach?

My decision now is selecting a third party controller. Have read a lot about a number of controllers but am seriously considering the “TrueControl” by Hensley Mfg. [img]www.trailersaver.com [/img]

Has anyone out there had any experience with this controller and would you recommend it?

Again, thanks for all your help

Roland
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
sigo'suite

I would do my home work on the True Control. The shop I dealt with sells Hensley hitches and other Hensley items but will not sell the True Control. I talked with Andy at Hensley and he tried his best to get me to buy one at a pretty good price, but I went with Brake Smart on the advice of Zanetti's who install lotsa controllers and incidentally have done many Ford IBC retrofits. I will try to get a hold of them and ask them what their objections to it are. I remember that it had issues of some sort and in their opinion could not hold a candle to the Brake Smart especially with hydraulic brakes.
On edit, I got a hold of Kyle Zanetti and he said that their primary objection to the True Control is that if you bump the controller with your knee or in any other way, you have to re-calibrate it everytime. Not so with the Brake Smart. That and many other features which the Brake Smart has.
I don't sell them, I just like the hell outta mine!!
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

TruControl

Ron,

Not so sure about the TC and bumping it. Used mine for a long trip with the SB I used to have--then took it out and put it on the MS with no calibration, no nothing, worked just fine.

I could tilt it up and down, and for a while I just had it laying on the floor while I tried to figure out how I wanted to mount it.

I am not having any problems with the Ford unit on my electric-only brakes--yet.

Joe

And I have the TC for sale, if anyone is interested.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote