Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #21
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
StripIt, I only posted the info to let the OP know that there are other options. I'm betting that eight years ago this model wasn't available. And you and I can rest assured that the state police purchasing dept wouldn't buy anything worth 1200 when they could spend 4800 instead.
You have that right, I treated my scales like jewerly as opposed to the officers treating them like they didn't care. I saw some of them twisted like pretzels at the DOT repair/certification center.

Weighing RV's sure opened a lot of folks eyes to why tires tires failed in some areas on the rig. Or why the truck didn't feel right when towing, or other handleing issues.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #22
Txtower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
StripIt, I only posted the info to let the OP know that there are other options. I'm betting that eight years ago this model wasn't available. And you and I can rest assured that the state police purchasing dept wouldn't buy anything worth 1200 when they could spend 4800 instead.
Lol. Now THATS funny. So true.

Txtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #23
Rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txtower View Post
I have a 2004 Starcraft Homestead 290 BHS. I keep blowing tires and am not sure what the issue is. It is always the left side under the slide out. Rear one seems to be the one that has blown most. I have 15” Wheels with Carlton ST225/75R15, Load E. I have them at 68-70psi.

I found some threads out there where others have went to bigger wheels and a stronger Load Range J type tire. Not sure if this is a viable option. I don’t know if axel is bent or not true, but admittedly don’t know how to check that. The other side tires operate fine so I think it is fine.

We just finished an 800 mile found trip and the tire went in the last 10 miles. The left rear blew again and wrapped itself around the axel. I can not tell if it is tread separation or what kind of failure.

It seems the slide out side is the issue and I am wondering if it is a weight issue, too low psi, need bigger sturdier wheel/tire?

GVWR 11,580
CCC 3065

Any ideas? Thanks
Intend to think out of the box, if you have the clearance get 16” wheels an put on a good set of LT235/85-16E, yes LT truck tires!
Our 2005 Copper Canyon 293FWSLS has a of GVWR 12,360# the LT’s have a weight rating of 3,042# ea., that is a total of 12,168# on a 11,580# GVWR, that less 20% For pin and you have a lot extra capacity.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #24
CALinSC

Quote:
I have a 2004 Starcraft Homestead 290 BHS. I keep blowing tires and am not sure what the issue is. It is always the left side under the slide out. Rear one seems to be the one that has blown most. I have 15” Wheels with Carlton ST225/75R15, Load E. I have them at 68-70psi.

I found some threads out there where others have went to bigger wheels and a stronger Load Range J type tire. Not sure if this is a viable option. I don’t know if axel is bent or not true, but admittedly don’t know how to check that. The other side tires operate fine so I think it is fine.

We just finished an 800 mile found trip and the tire went in the last 10 miles. The left rear blew again and wrapped itself around the axel. I can not tell if it is tread separation or what kind of failure.

It seems the slide out side is the issue and I am wondering if it is a weight issue, too low psi, need bigger sturdier wheel/tire?

GVWR 11,580
CCC 3065

Any ideas? Thanks
Somehow I missed this thread when it was posted. I’ll just add my take now.

Are those tires the same size as the Original Equipment tires described on the trailer’s certification label/tire placard?

How come you’re not inflating them to 80 PSI?

Statistically speaking, at least 50% of all RV trailers are overloaded. At least one tire on every trailer is under inflated/overloaded or both.

Read chapter #4 in the following reference. It has everything one needs to know to keep their RV trailer tires properly serviced. It has weight and balance info and replacement tire recommendation standards.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf
Old 05-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #25
Muddflap

Just a little nugget of information, Simple Tire sells Sailun S637T tires pretty cheap. They are Chinese tires but are built to a very high standard, have an impressive load rating and are good for 75 mph speed rating. Quite a few folks on the Redwood forum swear by them, and Redwoods are moderately heavy 5ers. Mine maxes at 17,900 lbs. I have 17.5 load range H tires and when it’s time, I’m getting the Sailuns.

For the folks who wear 16” tires, take a look:

https://simpletire.com/sailun-235-80...SABEgKCn_D_BwE
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #26
Muddflap

Oh yeah, get a good TPMS too.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:34 AM   #27
Notanlines

Yep, what Muddflap ^^^^said. Sailuns AND TPMS both. We run Goodyear on the Suites, but ran Sailuns on the Raptor.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #28
Txtower

Ended up lifting the camper to get the required lift for 16” wheels. Axles good for the load. Needed 30.8” for 16” and only had 30”. With the larger wheels, I was able to get 600lb increase per tire. Ended puttting Goodyear Endurance on for the tires. All torqued (standing by to re-torque). Found a good company in Canada for the lift product. Gonna triple check weights for the heavy areas and adjust the load plan. Thanks all for the help, advice and discussion.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #29
wingnut60
Site Team

When you say lifted, how did you do it? What is the Canadian company product?
Thanks,
Joe
We are originally from Arlington/Burleson and may be thinking about finding a home space in the Glen Rose area.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #30
Txtower

I lifted leaf spring higher above axle. They startred from sitting on axle to being raised 3” abiove the axle. I used this site and the parts were superb, https://www.trailerblocks.com/produc...ing-tie-plates
Sorry I would show you pictures but the site is not too friendly with attaching pictures, you have to use URLs…
Old 05-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #31
Txtower

And Glen Rose rocks, PM if u have questions!
Old 05-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #32
TSTMike

Tst tpms

Hello,

If you all have any questions regarding the TST TPMS please let me know. I am always to help or answer questions.

Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
210-420-0132
TSTMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #33
BanditK6

Blown tires.

Quote:

GVWR 11,580
CCC 3065

Any ideas? Thanks
Are you pulling level? The center link can only do so much. Maybe you are overloading the rear tire if you are pulling nose high.
BanditK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #34
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
What is the max tire pressure allowed written on the tire, PSI and what is the max load carrying capacity at that max pressure? It should be obvious that it is not normal to have one location always the spot where a tire would fail if it was not overloaded or under inflated or a combination of both. Not being able to run over a scale that would give you each tire load makes you have to guess and we have found guessing is normally inaccurate. One side of the trailer might be much heavier than the other side. Not having a equal load on the axles could then overload one tire position. Not all trailers need to run level, scales prove that out. You try to equal the loads on each axle, and depending on the interior layout, the items stored and carried and the hight of the hitch all play into the weights being moved and carried by the axles/tires.
Some folks just go buy a larger wheel/tire combo and fix the overload issue that way, actually they don't fix the overload, just get a higher capacity tire and then the tire failures stop. The overload is still there just not exposing itself any longer..

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote