Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #41
Dapperdan

Ultra, we were at Lippert last summer for replacement. Our front jacks were replaced by way more robust rams and a completely different mounting to our frame than what the old setup was. Our lines to the front jacks were DEFINATELY replaced. I do not think the rears were replaced however, it doesn't appear that way.

So far we've experienced zero problems with the (new) system!

Dan

Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #42
oldbird

I just read thru this thread thinking that it was certain years of DRV's affected? Is that true or should I be concerned with my 08? I do have drips under some hoses but the fittings are all tight. The fluid level never seems to drop. Thanks

Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #43
Rockyhud

Dan,
First, I'm glad your repairs have been successful. Your description of completely different mounting to the frame is precisely why Josh said they won't "farm out" this work to anyone any more, as the work of cutting off the original mounts, cleaning, prepping and installation of the new mounts requires an intimate understanding of both the old and new jacks along with the skills and tools necessary for doing the job. Also, based on what Josh told me, they did testing and determined in your case that landing gear rams were faulty and needed replacement, along with the hoses going to them. Other RVs with similar symptoms may only need the faulty hoses or other components replaced - ours being an good example of this. That's what I appreciated from Josh's explanation - they would thoroughly test the system to determine what was not good - not just assume and replace parts without knowing for certain. That's also what I found refreshing about Trailer Source RV Center in Colorado Springs. They didn't just assume our landing gear rams needed rebuilding or replacement and found the actual faulty parts.

Glenn,
I wish I could give you and others a good answer to that but I can't. During my email and phone conversations with Josh he never mentioned, and I never got the impression, that there was any particular age range of RVs that Lippert would or would not consider for performing the repairs/replacements. If you're experiencing the symptoms we had - landing gear slowly dropping when the RV was being towed - I would encourage you to contact Lippert about the problem and see where it leads. Just FYI, when I asked if they would consider this a safety issue, that is when the inquiry turned towards getting the problem taken care of with them covering the parts and labor cost (only), and making sure I was aware any costs incurred in getting the RV to their facilities and back would be at my cost. I told Josh I was grateful for their even making such an offer and fully understood why all other costs would be on us. BTW, looking at the fluid level in our hydraulic system tank, I couldn't tell that is was noticeably getting lower either. Your observations seem like mine regarding fittings being tight, with only one exception, and there was no fluid leakage apparently at any fitting except for the one, but there were numerous drops collected on the bottoms of hose loops. Closer inspection revealed there was visible fluid around the outside of the crimps of these hoses too. The leaking fluid was more like a thin film around the crimps so the red color didn't really stand out, but when I wiped them clean it was easy to see on the paper towel.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #44
Dapperdan

Steve, Thanks for your explanation. As you stated I'm sure the Lippert techs thoroughly checked out our system before "diving into" extensive cutting and welding!

I can't help thinking that perhaps the Lippert techs did some deconstruction of the rams they were pulling out and replacing to see exactly what was failing. Makes me "wonder" how many had the failure YOU had going on.

I know prior to us getting into the Lippert shop, Josh stated they were VERY busy working on front jacks. As a matter of fact there was a Big Horn in the bay ahead of us, we were to have our trailer into them at 7:00 am sharp the next morning.

Not only was the ram system drastically different but like you stated the way the new rams get welded to the frame is radically different as well! My compartment where the hydraulics are looks completely different than it did the day we pulled into Lippert.

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #45
oldbird

Thanks Steve! Mine is not having any problems so I will not try to fix something that's not broke. I'll keep on eye on things though, glad I read your thread.
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #46
Mtntrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultratravler View Post
It would be interesting to hear from someone that has been at Lippert, for the jack repair, and see if all the hydraulic hoses were replaced or just the jacks. Dave
Yes, the front hydraulic lines were replaced as I believe they (the replacement cylinders) are ported differently. Prior to the retrofit there were no visible leaks on our trailer.

Thanks, we appreciate all the information presented on this troublesome topic.
Be well.

DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali 3500HD-Max 4x, CC, 8' DRW
EZGo-txt, Yamaha-G22E
Mtntrek is offline   Reply With Quote