Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Mogolfers

Dan Tauer leaving DRV

As president of SOITC I wanted you to hear this information first. Kyle Miller will fill Dan's position and we wish him only the best.

This letter was sent to DRV dealers.

Dave Webb, President SOITC

Dear Valued Dealer,

I wanted to let you know some internal changes that have taken place at DRV. Effective yesterday, Dan Tauer resigned his position as Sales Manager – after serving in that capacity for just under 10 years. I am so appreciative of the job Dan did for the company. He was a great ambassador for our product and DRV. So we thank him for his past dedication, and wish him well.

I am very excited about promoting Kyle Miller to fill the position of Sales Manager. Kyle has been with the company for 7 years, working hard as the Midwest Territory Sales Rep and Assistant Sales Manager. I knew when he started his career with us, that we had someone special… someone who exhibited sales management qualities. I have watched him grow professionally and I feel confident that he is the perfect fit for this exciting time of growth in our company. As you have witnessed over the past year, DRV continues to make changes to our product that keeps us leading the way in the high-end market. The State of our company is solid. We have a great team… and I’m more excited about the future than I’ve ever been.

More on Kyle Miller:

2002 Graduate of Indiana University - Bachelor of Education

He taught in public schools before joining DRV in sales and resides in Middlebury, Indiana with his wife Ashley and son Penn

Thank you for your continued loyalty to DRV,

David E Fought

President/CEO DRV

2011 38REPS4 Mobile Suite #5831
"Each day is a gift"
Mogolfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
jcasey

from RVDaily:

SYRACUSE, Ind. -- Redwood RV today announced the appointment of Dan Tauer to the position of product manager.

Tauer brings more than 28 years of extensive RV experience to Redwood. Prior to joining Redwood, he held the position of vice president of sales at DRV and was instrumental in establishing DRV as a residential RV manufacturer, said Tom Montague, general manager.

“Redwood is excited to have Dan join our team. As we continue to expand our customer and dealer base and tackle new market segments, the successful recruitment of seasoned professionals is critical in providing superior products and services not only to our dealers but ultimately our customers,” said Montague. “Dan’s knowledge and commitment to customer service makes him a valuable resources to Redwood. He understands exactly what customers at this price point are looking for in a high end fifth wheel. Dan’s expertise and guidance will also be instrumental in launching the all new Carriage brands later this fall.”

“I’m excited about this opportunity to join the Redwood RV team and to bring my luxury fifth wheel knowledge to the Redwood product. As a competitor I had watched the Redwood brand take over the market share and I’m excited to now be apart of it and have the unlimited resources that a Thor company can offer,” said Tauer. “It’s also very exciting to be here to assist the team in the launch of the Carriage brand slated for the fall.”

More information about Redwood RVs is available at www.redwood-rv.com.

SOURCE: Redwood RV press release

2011 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke F350 Super Cab, AT, DRW, Lariat. with Ride-Rite Firestone Air Bags. Used to tow 2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5568, which is equipped with Center Point Suspension, Trailair Hitch, Level-Up, dual pane windows, Satellite Finder, 17.5 Tires, Dual Air, Valley/Husky 24,000 5th wheel hitch.
jcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
George D

Dan Tauer

Very interesting!! I wonder if that means that DRV may see an improvement in quality? OR - will it be Redwood?? What say you insiders?

Very interested in seeing the "new Carriage" 5ers! Perhaps their construction quality will be better than DRV!

George
George D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
billr

So if Dan had any input on Quality, why wouldn't he had made sure DRVs was better?

It all costs $$ so sorry to say they are all very similar in that respect. They will cut where ever they can to get them out for less and make as much as they can. That is where quality can take a back seat.

Maybe the Carriages will be nice and may bring some good ideas. Will they be a competitor to DRV Mobile and Elite? Maybe. Would be nice to see for sure. With that.. we would hope quality would improve, but I suspect things will get tighter to compete.
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
bstark

As a long time skeptic of the piece-work bonus sytem of building these things to enable top-up of normal weekly wages to a living wage; I won't hold my breath for any major sea change in quality.

If it were as simple as one man changing jobs and taking initiative to overstep his assigned duties as merely getting them into showrooms; it would have happened decades ago but the bottom line is all the companies think about and that means quality will continue being spotty at best.

One has to remember that we the consumer carry the major portion of guilt as we will tolerate awful stuff to go down the road towing the "prettiest and best optioned" rig in the eyes of the Jones's.

Knowing that most walk through the showroom doors expecting an immediate discount for just showing up has done more harm to quality than any other single thing should cause pause for some.......but it won't!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
golf_bears

Incentive systems do work well if they are managed correctly. What DRV needs to do is charge all the in-house generated quality issues and associated repair cost back to the incentive system. Employee wages would be lowered by the amount of the repair cost associated with their workmanship. In addition, introduce a profit sharing system. With this approach employees policed themselves and they make sure everyone tows the line.

I managed incentive systems in a union shop for over 25 years and the "Charge Back" approach in conjunction with a profit sharing system worked very well. Employees become business partners in a hurry.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Motor31

When I am looking at an RV to buy I do not expect a discount for showing up. I expect the price to be uninflated. That does not happen if I do not explain that to the sales staff. I already understand they have inflated the price well above the profit margin at all levels. They just hope the customer is so uninformed so as to accept the first "asking" price.

Given the quality of DRV products, that is a substantial inflation indeed. Not to say that other manufacturers are not doing similar things either. Some are just not as egregious as DRV.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
George D

ALL points are well taken! Having been on a DRV factory tour and seen the way they throw these together, I do believe the incentive program is a problem. I particularly like golf_bears' idea!
George D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
chevman

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears
Incentive systems do work well if they are managed correctly. What DRV needs to do is charge all the in-house generated quality issues and associated repair cost back to the incentive system. Employee wages would be lowered by the amount of the repair cost associated with their workmanship. In addition, introduce a profit sharing system. With this approach employees policed themselves and they make sure everyone tows the line.

I managed incentive systems in a union shop for over 25 years and the "Charge Back" approach in conjunction with a profit sharing system worked very well. Employees become business partners in a hurry.

We were told this is how WRV(alpenlite) did their employers at our factory tour.Less come backs more money you make. chevman
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
golf_bears

As I said, incentive systems work great if they are designed and managed properly.

I'd be happy to accept a consulting assignment with DRV to assist in the design of a system and to train them on how to manage it correctly.

The system would be geared towards improving quality while maintaining their current productivity levels.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Motor31

You ARE a dreamer aren't you. They will never trade fluff for substance.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
rotaxman

Agree

I agree with Mike, no big loss with Dan Tauer leaving DRV I met him at the dealer where I bought my 06 arrogant know nothing. Should of cancelled my order right there on the spot He was real happy to blow smoke up his own ______ about being instrumental in the design of that worthless seal on the Kitchen slide. Any 4 year old could of done a better job.

To bad for Redwood as long as they don't let him in on any design projects they might be alright.

You will never have to worry about seeing any improvement in DRV quality as long as those orders keep coming in.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
Haggis

Satisfied Customers??

Golf bears;

DRV units very nice to look at BUT??

Can't understand why there is so many satisfied customers, when their maintenance shop is booked ahead for months at a time. other shops in the area take over from the spillage of owners with problems, who can't get an appointment at the factory.

I have always had a positive expeience when I was at the factory for maintenance!

Golf Bears....you should offer your services, the powers to be may accept your offer. If they like your suggestions you could make a lot of customers happy!

With three major break downs, two of them could have left me scattered all over the Interstate Highway. Every year in the past 6, that I have traveled, not once has a mechanical or other type of failure not crop up.

I would never purchase another unit from DRV unless there was a major change in their product......... Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears
As I said, incentive systems work great if they are designed and managed properly

I'd be happy to accept a consulting assignment with DRV to assist in the design of a system and to train them on how to manage it correctly.

The system would be geared towards improving quality while maintaining their current productivity levels.
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
golf_bears

Geoff,

Sorry to hear about all your problems. I also have experienced many issues, axles, bearings, rotors, spring hangers, etc. I also realize I'm not the only one on the road with problems.

We've been on the road for 5 years now and will continue for some time, the good Lord willing. I've had the opportunity to speak to many DRV and SOB folks and realize DRV is not the only one with quality issues. As mentioned in other post, it appears to be and industry problem. Still doesn't make it right.

Fortunately, because of my engineering education and background, I'm able to fix most of the problems myself. I've also helped a number of other RVers on the road. I feel sorry for the RVers out there that cannot fix things and need to go to the RV service departments all the time. That is not fun and can get very expensive in a hurry.

Appreciate your comments about me speaking with DRV about my suggestions to help improve with their quality issues. I think by now they have read this post, know who I am and know how to contact me if they feel my services would be of value to them. My offer to help still stands.

DRV has been a very successful company doing what they do, even if quality is a major problem, but then so has a number of other manufacturers. Doesn’t make it right, but the industry as a whole needs to step up to the bat. Would be nice if DRV took the lead and demonstrated it’s willingness to make a difference.

At this point I would not buy another DRV unit, but rather have chosen to fix and upgrade our existing unit. Had the MorRide IS system installed last June and just had all our flooring replaced. In addition, I have fixed a number of big and things with permanent fixes that will hold up over time and use. Our unit feels like new now.

I have been asked by some SOB owners if I would by another DRV unit, my response has been maybe if they really improved their quality.

Our plans are to be at the rally in Goshen this June; maybe we’ll get a chance to speak with upper management about the issues. Maybe a small select group of owners could approach them. Antagonizing them will not get any results, but perhaps a very candid and open discussion could produce some interest on their part to interact more openly with a small group. Who knows, maybe we can all help to turn things around.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Motor31

Golf,
Can you expand a bit on how you replaced the flooring? We have issues related to the same thing and I am at a loss about how to proceed. Did you replace all of the carpeting including that which was under and over the slide? How did you deal with the linoleum that was under the edges of the slide so that it didn't get pulled up by the slide moving?

Or, where did you go to get it done and about how much was it?
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
golf_bears

Motor31,

We are in the RGV in Mercedes, TX and there's a guy here that specializes in flooring replacement for RV and Motorhomes. He, Lee, does the sales work and he has teamed up with a couple of guys, Rick and Josh, that do the installation. They do a ton of business here and a lot of other RV parks.

We had all our flooring, lower, bathroom and bed room, replaced. Wifee selected vinyl tile squares, 12x12, as oppose to the simulated wood. The vinyl flooring is far superior to the linoleum used by DRV. Also the carpet was a much better quality than DRV installs.

The sales guy, Lee, comes to your site with literally 100s of samples and will spend what ever time you need to make your selections. After about 20 minutes with him I just got out of the way and let wifee get it down to a few selections. Then wifee let me get my 2 cents in and decided what she wanted. Lee orders the materials and schedules the installers and in about two weeks all is done. These guys are good, I mean real good.

You’ve asked a number of other questions that I can answer best with a phone call. Send me a PM and I’ll give you my phone number, or you send me your phone number and then we can chat.

If you’re in the RGV area you’re welcome to come and see the installation.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
wingnut60
Site Team

Also interested in the flooring replacement. Would you mind sharing the approximate cost, and how long it took?
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
hitchup

Like Golf_Bears, we are at the point we've made so many upgrades, we may never buy a new one again.

Last week, we had to order a new toilet. When we hit the flush pedal and got no water, knew it was past time. Got tired of the high cost of replacement parts on this one. And I must say, it's no fun filling a jug to flush.

Dometic must have made some improvments on the 510H since 2008. The pedal is easy to push and flap moves smoothly. Switched out to a self-closing toilet lid and we were back in business.

But I couldn't register it online at their site. It didn't recognize the model #. :shock:
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Motor31

Golf, will PM the number, no problem. Just to expand on what wingnut asked, were you required to leave the rig or did you continue to live in it during reconstruction? I ask here as the answers obviously are of interest to those who are in similar circumstances.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
Gemstone

"I ask here as the answers obviously are of interest to those who are in similar circumstances."....Yes indeed.

Would love to see pics of the flooring...as we will never buy a new rig again.

Flooring and a residential fridge are on my to do list along with refinishing some of the woodwork. The factory and their vendors use a stain mixed in with the lacquer, and spray as little as they can get away with....

Regards
Gemstone