Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
billr

Elec Main panel loads

After we installed the WD a while back, we have had an issue tripping the 50 amp breaker in the camps occasionally. Always when we had a lot running, hot day, 2 ACs, WH, fridge, and W/D, I thought just too much or a weak post breaker.

Today I had a good look at the main panel wiring. It had both ACs, WD, WH and converter all on the same leg!! Gezzz... I balanced the loads better and that should be that. Also found the panel was not labeled correctly from DRV. It was a mess. Took a few min to check every breaker match to what it ran. All fixed now!

Might be worth a test and look see. If you are not comfortable to do it, any electrician can do it in short order. An RV dealer/service is not needed. It might be better to use a actual electrician.

Nice work from our Amish electricians eh??

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
golf_bears

Bill, your unit is a 2005, right?

That's before the Amish realized that electricity was conducted through the wireing they installed.

New units off the line now work perfectly!!!!! And I have a bridge to sell, anyone interested?

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Motor31

Interesting post. We have known since we got the unit that if we wanted to do laundry we had to shut down one AC unit. Given the amp load with a washer and drier installed I figured that was about right with only 50 amps coming into the unit. It would not surprise me a bit to find that everything is on one leg of the incoming cable.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Motorcycle Jack

Thanks Bill for that info. Those of us with newer units that have the PMS (power management system) can see what effect each unit has on either the L-1 or L-2 line. I think there were some changes in the production last couple of years that have the lines better balanced now. My major problems with the CG electricity, the pole voltage drops very low when everyone loads with their A/C's, water heaters and other loads. When the voltage gets below 104 my PMS drops the unit of line for 30 seconds. I've had many a heated discussion with CG owners and the utilities rep.

(oh also the comment about about "Amish" quality is of very little use, might be his opinion but most of the workers at DRV are not Amish)
Motorcycle Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Haggis

Re: Elec Main panel loads

Had the same problem Bill the first time out on a trip. Had the rewiring done by an electrician.

Thought I should add this.........the toilet was wired on the same line as the fridge......I had nightmares of opening the fridge :shock:
Geoff
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
billr

So when you flush the fridge ice comes out!! :lol:

Well, the Amish workers were indeed wiring the units of our era. So what level of use the comment holds is entirely subjective. But somewhat accuate in our case. It was a tounge in cheek comment though.... :D
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
golf_bears

Thanks Bill for recognizing that Amish comment for what it was. Guess not everyone has the same sense of humor as we have!!! When you own an RV you just have to roll with punches and enjoy the ride.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
bstark

Haaar Bill; I see you're still running into those little booby traps. That's one of the earlier ones I addressed when I removed the entire panel to re-fabricate the surrounding wood work to better seal that spot from the basement compartment for both noise and air filtration from the furnace area.

When I went to re-install all the lines I had labelled; I started totalling the watt's/start-amperage draw and thought to myself "what the hell were they thinking"? I quickly realized the question as being completely redundant.

They weren't thinking when they assembled many areas of these things in the earlier days.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
bstark

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears
Thanks Bill for recognizing that Amish comment for what it was. Guess not everyone has the same sense of humor as we have!!! When you own an RV you just have to roll with punches and enjoy the ride.
I preferred to think of mine as a work in progress! That kept me from going all bat-chit crazy everytime I found one of those little things like forty or so screw heads all torqued off with them simply putting caulking over top of those loose heads to create a booby trap waiting for the Arizona sun to heat that sealant up and soften it.

When coming out of the trailer one morning with coffee in hand, kinda surprised to see the corners of the white aluminum trim pieces that curved up and over at the upper four corners of the roof covering the transition of the fiberglass end caps to the roofing vinyl all standing up like the rabbit ear antennas of the older day televisions.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
billr

Yes Bruce you are dead right on the booby traps. Folks with the newer units may think quality has diminished but the standard has remained consistent at least. :cry:

We do have to stay busy keeping things in running order that is for sure. I would hope one day it will end but likely not. They do roll down the road though and Sh@# happens.

To add to the excitement, the other day the MW just quit! Lost power to several outlets. Tested the CB, neutral etc all good. No power leg between the first outlet in the line to the second and beyond. Problem was not at that outlet either of course. Somewhere in the water tank area with no access. So ended up having to run a new circuit from the panel to the Kit Island, and continue to slide junction for M/W. I had a spare circuit to use so supplied the ext and storage on separate circuit. Removed the dead line from that point and terminated. I thought the crappy crimp on connectors in the slide junction would be loose etc, but they were still intact, when I moved one it did fall right off. Replaced all three boxes connections. Also replaced the lousy no box outlets with real boxes and real outlets. The M/W one was toast! The plug was stuck in it and burnt. Still ok, but outlet was bad.

The best is they tied the M/W to the Kit island outlet, bathroom sink outlet, ext outlet and storage comp outlet. The ext outlet and storage outlet were first in the circuit. Then it goes to the island, then it splits to the slide and the bath sink. All on a ground fault. Yes the M/W on a ground fault.

We just wait to see whats next! haar Its an adventure!!

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Motor31

And MW or M/W refers to what exactly? Mine warfare, main water, minor wonky, make work? Was that your CB radio you were testing? Shorthand is nice but only when it's so universal everyone know what you are talking about.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
golf_bears

The "Microwave".
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
billr

Gee Mike really..... :P :lol:
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
rotaxman

Wiring

Bruce and Bill

In both of my Suites the wiring was done by a 3 year old all kinds of heavy draw items on one circuit. This junk 09 by far is the worst I lost power to the island and could not locate where they decided to tie it into the 50amp panel.

Had to run a new line also my water heater is not tied into the supply panel at all. The only way you can shut it down is to disconnect from shore power.

I've experienced all of the same things you guys are talking about.

Bruce have you ever finished sanding out the letter I carved in your kitchen table??

My 06 was by far a much superior unit to this junk 09.

Wish this unit was gone. Good luck it never ends.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
bstark

Re: Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaxman
Bruce and Bill

In both of my Suites the wiring was done by a 3 year old all kinds of heavy draw items on one circuit. This junk 09 by far is the worst I lost power to the island and could not locate where they decided to tie it into the 50amp panel.

Had to run a new line also my water heater is not tied into the supply panel at all. The only way you can shut it down is to disconnect from shore power.

I've experienced all of the same things you guys are talking about.

Bruce have you ever finished sanding out the letter I carved in your kitchen table??

My 06 was by far a much superior unit to this junk 09.

Wish this unit was gone. Good luck it never ends.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
Jerry:(tongue in cheek here) but, but these things are inspected at the factory. How could one skip having a major amperage line tied to the panel? Hee, hee!

Paul Cross was doing a good business PDI'ing these things for dealers and customers who wanted all the obvious glitches identified and fixed prior to ownership.

I don't know if he still does that but it would sure be on my list to make it part of the deal if I was a prospective buyer .

As regards your table note: I just flipped the top over and started from scratch, pun intended. ;-)
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
Haggis

Elec Main Panel

Mmm......gettin a.....jolt outa this post!

Nice change to see we have the...... odd comedian on board.

Geoff

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote