Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
billr

Hyd Slide ram replacement

Had to replace a slide ram on the off door side the other day. It was bypassing internally on extend. Symptoms were normal retract and very slow to creep extend. Was starting to happen over last month. Got worse. Had Same thing on the door side slide that was intermittent for a few years and got to the point of no extend.

Thought if anyone had these symptoms it may help. There are other possibilities like an obstruction or low voltage.

Maybe the replacement procedure I used may help too. Lippert's on the website manual was rather basic. Remove and install. ha

Before removing, need to relieve the extend pressure on all the slides. I made sure they were all out, then bump each sw for each slide to retract just a second. This relieved it. Not long enough to pressurize the retract side. The slides did relax a tad. I did leave the jacks down. They are on a separate valve.

With the slide extended and relieved measure the end nut bottom to end of thread on both ends and record for later. Also measure and record the space between back up nuts and end nut on piston end. This space has to be there.

Remove the end nuts and move the piston back up nuts to allow movement laterally.

Remove the hoses (3 on mine, two were on a T fitting) Only got maybe a few drops of fluid out. So relieving the pressure worked well.

Remove the ram.

Transfer the fittings and angle them the same. There are o-rings on the fittings, mine were in good shape, but not a bad idea to replace. Install the back up nuts on both ends. Set the distance for the nuts as measured and secure together on piston end. (new ram is retracted when installed.)

Install ram and fit nut on ram end and set to measurement recorded and lock the back up nut. The piston end will just be placed into the opening in frame.

Connect the hoses as removed. Careful not to over tighten.

Be sure the Hyd tank is at least half full with all the slides out and jacks down. When you extend the new ram, it will pull fluid to fill it from the tank. May need to add some before if its a bit low. Do not fill it.

Have someone inside bump the new ram out a bump at a time while you guide the ram out towards the flange. Be careful of hands and just bump it to position. The threaded end has to be positioned very well to get into the flange right. Once its out secure, install the end nut. Check the space on the backup nuts as measured. Adjust if required. If the locking feature of the two end lock nuts are not tight, replace the nuts. Home Depot has them.

Check the tank again Add fluid to a bit over half. Remember when all the rams and jacks are retracted it will return to the tank. Need about an inch or so at top to be full. If you remember where the level is normally when set up with everything is out then that is where you should be now.

Now you can exercise the slide and check that it works properly. Check for leaks.

I ran all the slides in and out a few times and they all worked good. Very little to no air in system with this procedure.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Impressive instructions--thanks. I did the door side ram the easier way--it went out while I was in Paul Cross' yard and he replaced it.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Motor31

Good post. I found with hydraulics since the rams will be in the retracted position for shipping you can help to avoid most air by taking another step. If you can manipulate the ram by hand or extend it to to the position it will be in when you place it with the slide out have a tube and container of fluid available. Put the tube on the extend side fitting. Put the other end in the container of fluid. As you extend the ram piston it will suck fluid up inside the piston rather than air. Just like a Nurse or Doctor filling a syringe. Depress it a bit to remove the air you did get from the tube and re extend it to fill complete. Put a cap on the fitting to hold the drips to a minimum, then install the ram as posted above. Put a cap on all the fittings to avoid drips until you hook up the hoses. They are cheap and any hydraulic shop has them if the ram did not come with any.

The ram may have fluid in the retract side so no matter what, be prepared for a spill when you extend the piston as it will squirt out that fitting.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Lights

You can have the hyd cylinders rebuilt and they will be better then new. Bob's RV Service & Repairs www.RobertsQualityRV.com in Moores Hill, IN will do a great job rebuilding the cylinders, he install two seals in them instead of one. Save your old cylinder and have them rebuilt.
2004 RS3 #1013
2007 VNL 630
Smart Car
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
billr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights
You can have the hyd cylinders rebuilt and they will be better then new. Bob's RV Service & Repairs www.RobertsQualityRV.com in Moores Hill, IN will do a great job rebuilding the cylinders, he install two seals in them instead of one. Save your old cylinder and have them rebuilt.
Good to know! Thanks

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote