Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Suitelife

Curt Q24 hitch and our 38RSSB3 - Rough Ride

We have a 2013 MS and a 2013 Chevy 3500 desiel dually. Our issue/question is when going over bridge transitions or sudden road bumps we are taking a beating in the cab. Jerks, front and back and generally a rough ride. Are we missing something? We also have the Trail air pin box. Should there be a rubber pad or something to reduce the jerking in the hitch?

We were expecting a better ride. Help...
[/list]

2015 38RSSA Plus #7727
2013 38RSSB3 #6540 Traded in
2013 Chevy LTZ Duramax Dually
Suitelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Motorcycle Jack

On my setup I have about 90 PSI in the air bladder of the hitch. If not I get an awful rough ride. Also the air suspension on my trailer must be set at 70 psi on road side and 60 on off road side. If either of the trailer or the hitch are not full them I get a lot of what feels like jerking. If yo are doing these then I would have the hitch and mount system checked out, you may have something loose. Oh, I do use a nylon friction pad between the hitch and trailer but that only makes for frictionless turning.

Motorcycle Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
billr

The Curt is a nice hitch but not being an air ride its limited on what it can do.

The problem you have is a product of very heavy trailer and light truck. Some folks have played around a bit and have got it to an acceptable chuck. That is very subjective though. What is severe to some is smooth to another. So when anyone proclaims I added air bags, or adjusted tire press etc and got rid of it, you have to accept they may not be as bothered by the issue. Or maybe do not tow a long way or often.

The best advise going from what I see getting a pickup to feel better is to install an Air Ride Hitch like a Trailer Saver. Not cheap at about $2900 but it is the best option. Your Curt is a nice hitch for a lighter trailer and would sell very well. Say 75% of what you paid if not too old. IMHO.

Another alternative is to add a full air ride rear suspension like a 4 link which is big $ and even with that the hitch is a good idea.

Adding air bags and aftermarket shocks would be something I would also do. It allows a custom adjustment for ride height, added stability and ditching OEM shocks that are junk. If not right now, they will be in short order. Billstien shocks seem to be the best choice out there.

With a truck like our Volvo at 23K loaded with the Smart car its heavier then the trailer. And even when it was 18K, same wt as trailer, we never feel the trailer at all, period. So I do believe in the theory of heavy tow vehicle being a factor.

We towed the MS with a pickup for 2 years. Also many years before with lighter 5th wheels. Always had the chucking but was more pronounced with the MS. Just a weight thing. I just accepted it and that was it. Now with the Trailersaver being more and more popular I should have changed over then and improved things. I did add air bags, extra leafs, shocks. It was slightly improved at best. I did need them though,

With the higher tow ratings of the newer pickups they are now starting to be close to the required specs for these trailers, and with the right hitch they also can be more comfortable, so they can be made to work. No one has to run out and buy an MDT or a Volvo, it just may take some work and a bit of compromise in ride.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
jdwilson3

Get the rig weighed professionally, then properly load the 5er. If you are out of "balance" it will cause chucking and bouncing.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
anijet

Well..... opinions are cheap so I will offer mine. I have been through several pinbox/hitch combinations trying to get an acceptable ride in the TV. An air hitch that dampens vertically will provide a smoother ride for the front of the trailer by cushioning the bumps from the truck axle to the pin box. It only slightly improves the ride in the truck. most of what you feel in the truck is horizontal movement. Think of the truck and trailer going over a speed bump slowly. When the truck goes over the bump the trucks ride is dependant on the truck suspension. When the trailer tires start to go over the bump there is resistance and the trailer tugs at the truck causing a noticeable bump (just like tapping the brakes really fast). When the trailer rolls down the back side the opposite happens. I have found the only way to eliminate this is to use a pinbox that provides horizontal dampening. (Edit: Concrete freeway expansion joints act like mini speed bumps.) I use the Demco GlideRide. I have not used them but Moryde makes a horizontal dampened pinbox and there is also the tri-glide pinbox.

BTW, I use an Air Safe air hitch with the Demco pinbox and have found it to be the best combination I have tried. Not cheap but it works. The Air Safe hitch with a solid pinbox helped but didn't reduce the chucking to an acceptable level. Another nice feature about the Air Safe hitch is it allows the hitch head to articulate any direction eliminating any binding in unusual truck-trailer attitudes.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
rotaxman

Tri Glide Plate

Get a Tri-Glide plate from Trail Air it will eliminate about 90 percent of the chunking that you are now getting.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Suitelife

Thanks everyone for information.

To be clear, we have the TrailAir Tri-Glide pin box installed and connect to the Curt 24k adjustable height hitch. I will check all the air pressures before the next trip.

I thought there were complaints about the TrailAir pin box and a air ride hitch causing lot of bounce. I'm going to look at air hitches so what I've heard so far there are two vendors:

Trail Saver

Air Safe

Are there others to consider?

Thanks everyone.
Ray
2015 38RSSA Plus #7727
2013 38RSSB3 #6540 Traded in
2013 Chevy LTZ Duramax Dually
Suitelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
chevman

we have used our air hitch since 2001 and added the trailair center point suspension later. Never had any compliant on how it works because it makes for a very smooth tow. Ours is not made but would buy a trailer savor if we needed another hitch.
chevman
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Cummins12V98

Re: Curt Q24 hitch and our 38RSSB3 - Rough Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitelife
We have a 2013 MS and a 2013 Chevy 3500 desiel dually. Our issue/question is when going over bridge transitions or sudden road bumps we are taking a beating in the cab. Jerks, front and back and generally a rough ride. Are we missing something? We also have the Trail air pin box. Should there be a rubber pad or something to reduce the jerking in the hitch?

We were expecting a better ride. Help...
[/list]
We have a 2011 Ram 3500 with the TrailAire air ride pin box. I will bet you are over inflating your rear tires. I have 4,400# of pin weight and I run 55psi and have plenty of air for the load. Look up your tire size and inflation chart associated with yours. Leigh your rear axle and add 5psi to what the chart says. It will help the ride and make the tires last much longer.

I did add PacBrake air bags and run them at about 25psi. That seemed to help with the concrete expansion joints.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
Gemstone

We have also used our air hitch and air pin since 2007 with the trailair center point suspension as well...the ride is great. I started out with a Dodge 3500, with a standard hitch...I did not like the ride. When I moved up to a larger truck, I decided to have the Trailersaver air hitch installed, regardless of the old wives tales about problems when the two air devices are mated.... It was the right decision for us, but I also have a truck that is not easily pushed/pulled around by a heavy trailer.

Regards
Gemstone