Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
BlueSkyRanch

DRV Recall Feb 2012

DRV Suites recalls 1,701 for aluminum wheels

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- DRV Suites (DRV), formerly Doubletree RV, is recalling 1,701 model year 2008 and 2010-2011 Select, Mobile and Elite Suite RVs manufactured from June 12, 2007, through Oct. 27, 2010 and equipped with disc brakes. Due to the paint applied to the aluminum wheel and hub face, the wheel may become loose.

Message from Tom Peck dated today, 2/14/2011

"mailing of the notification letters, repair procedures etc. has not gone out and won’t for several weeks. NHTSA only approved everything Friday 2/10/12 and nothing can be completed until that approval.

You will receive info in the mail in the near future.

In the meantime check your wheel lug nut torque as advised in your owner manual and the label on your pin box and you will be fine."

Old 02-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
jcasey

Here is a bit more info on the DRV wheel recall.

"DRV is announcing a recall in conjunction with NHTSA. This recall has been posted
to the NHTSA website and will be quickly spreading to dealers and customers and how to direct customers and dealers to handle the situation. At this moment we are preparing to mail information to all customers that will be affected by the recall and we will also be sending the dealers (current and
past) a letter and information on how to handle the situation. If you
receive calls from dealers or retail customers, please do the following:

1. If a customer contacts you please let them know that if they are
affected by the recall they will be receiving information on how to proceed.
In the meantime, they are safe as long as they are following the torqueing
procedures for their wheels as outlined in the owner's manual. Torque needs
to be 150# for a 17.5" wheel and 125# to 140# for a 16" wheel. If they
follow the procedures as outlined they will not have problems.

2. If a dealer contacts you please let them know that nothing is required
by them at this time. We will send them the information on how this will
all work, but this entire recall will start with the customer notifying
dealers that they are needing the recall performed on their unit. Recall
will only be performed on those units listed in the recall and the customer
will know if they are affected when they receive the letter."
----------------

2011 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke F350 Super Cab, AT, DRW, Lariat. with Ride-Rite Firestone Air Bags. Used to tow 2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5568, which is equipped with Center Point Suspension, Trailair Hitch, Level-Up, dual pane windows, Satellite Finder, 17.5 Tires, Dual Air, Valley/Husky 24,000 5th wheel hitch.
jcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
golf_bears

What are they talking about? "Due to the paint applied to the aluminum wheel and hub face". Looked at my 17-1/2" wheels can't see ay paint. What am I missing?
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
jcasey

It seems paint was applied to some (or all) wheel hubs and where that hub area meets the the back of the aluminum wheel, a problem can emerge. It seems the coat of paint on the hub and/or the back of the wheel might allow movement between the wheel and the hub, which in turn might cause the lug nuts to loosen.

Therefore, before you receive a letter, directions, and explanation for the recall, check to assure the torque on the lug nuts is up to specs. That will tell you that the loosening of lug nuts has or has not occurred. If the torque is not correct, they re-torque them to specs. Then, await a letter about how to handle this.

DRV said my explanation is correct, so no clarification is needed.
2011 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke F350 Super Cab, AT, DRW, Lariat. with Ride-Rite Firestone Air Bags. Used to tow 2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5568, which is equipped with Center Point Suspension, Trailair Hitch, Level-Up, dual pane windows, Satellite Finder, 17.5 Tires, Dual Air, Valley/Husky 24,000 5th wheel hitch.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
golf_bears

jcasey,

I have checked all the torques and they are fine. Can't figure out what paint they are talking about. There is none on my wheels or hub faces that I can see short of taking a wheel off. Got my curiosity up for sure now?????

Please post whatever you find out, thanks.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
jcasey

To see the paint, I am guessing you must take off a wheel.

DRV said I shouldn't fix the problem myself, even though we discussed how the remedy will be done: a dealer should do it. Therefore, other than curiosity, one probably shouldn't try to solve the problem or take off a wheel.

But, to repeat, check torque and adjust it if needed. Then, wait for the explanatory letter. If the explanation doesn't arrive shortly, check the torque again simply to remain safe.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
billr

For sure check the torque, but if mine were in this bunch I would be pulling off a wheel to see whats there.

They want to remove any paint so they can satisfy the recall. If you do it, they may still want you to take it in for a check. Not a bad idea either.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
bstark

I recall something along the same lines from waaaaay back and remember taking a look when I had mine off the hubs.

One axle had a heavier coat of the black paint on the hub faces (both ends) that the wheel located against and all I did was use my orbital sander to remove the obvious excess (runs) and scotchbrite on the backs of the wheels themselves to just clean off the transfer.

The big thing is: torque to spec's and run the thing for a hundred miles or so then re-torque and there should never be an issue with hub-piloted wheels coming loose on you.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
jimandsue60

Could it be that they are referring to the clear coating on the wheels as paint? I was at the DRV factory and someone who was there got a new set of wheels because of the clear coat/protective coating peeling off.

Jim
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
The View 5046

Don't know about the paint issue but my 2010 Mobile Suites wheels are peeling the clear coat... Haven't had a lot of luck with the foreign made wheels.... I put a set of Alcoa's on another 5er SOB but the Tredit Aluminum wheels begin to crack.. Happy Trails....

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
jcasey

No, this problem is not with the clear coat. The problem is as I described in an earlier posting.

If there were a problem with clear coat it would be a different issue or problem from this recall's issue.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
BlueSkyRanch

3/21/2012 The letters have all been mailed. Some people have received the letters. If you do not receive your information this week you may want to contact Chad Olinger at chadolinger@drvsuites.com.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Motor31

This is strictly limited to the disk brake equipped units? Interesting as I assume both brake option's would have painted hubs and wheels. I wonder why the disk brake units are the only ones effected.

FWIW with the coned lug nuts on my rig, the galling between the steel nut and the aluminum wheels tends to keep the darn things tight so that it takes an inordinate amount of torque to break them loose to remove the wheel.

Do the disk brake equiped trailers have a flat style lug nut? Just curious.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
BlueSkyRanch

The recall is for disc brake units only and the lugs are coned as well.