Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
RonS

TV Sat connection

I have an 06 36TK3 MS. In the bedroon cabnet their is a plate labled satilite, where is the other end of this cable. Want to put in second receiver, and really dont want to run another cable.

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Motor31

It's almost certainly back in the rats nest by the entertainment center with the main TV equipment. You will need to determine if it is on a signal splitter from the main feed to the main TV or not. If it is you will need to get rid of the splitter as it will severely degrade the signal from the dish.

If the wire just goes to the switch box and there is no splitter all you should need to do is plug the new receiver box into it and feed it to the TV. You will need to push the appropriate button on the switch box to open the feed from the dish to the receiver but with a second receiver in the bedroom you can then run both TV's simultaneously as long as you are both on the same satellite.

You can test the wires by hooking up a small battery (AA) with one terminal going to the copper wire and the other going to the threaded fitting then checking the other ends (rats nest) for voltage with a good multi meter. All you need is a AA battery, a couple of jumper wires, some tape and a multimeter. That's how I sorted out my system. It took all of an afternoon and I needed a couple beers to help calm down afterwards. I also labeled each wire for future reference.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Red Ram

Mike, I'll bet that you could make a lot of money on the side by sorting out the rats nest that most of us Mobile Suites owners have. I know that I would hire you to fix mine. What I did with mine is run a seperate line up behind the TV from the bottom of the slide. It by-passes everything. That entertainment center has got to be the worst thing that DRV has ever done.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Eagle

We just picked up our 2010 MS 36TKSB3 this past weekend. THe bad news is that there is still a rats nest in the entertainment center. The good news is that the hardware is located in the living room and all the cables are identified with labels around the cables near the ends. Right now I am writing down the description/color of each cable and where it goes to. Yes, most of the cables are color coded to make it easier.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
gypsybill

The rats nest is fun to work around... we have sorted most of it and got rid of the splitter DRV was using for the radio receiver antenna to solve the lack of signal to the bedroom tv. When we installed a Dish HD receiver, we did a few more "tweaks" to get more stuff sorted... still am scratching my head at why this should be so complicated.... One day when I have the inspiration, I make yank everything out of the cabinet and properly sort this mess.. for now it works... I have used everything except the external sat connections (I have a roof mounted Trv'ler dish) and phone connections and all works..(knock on wood).
2010 DRV MS 36RSSB3 #5073
gypsybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
USA in a Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsybill
The rats nest is fun to work around... we have sorted most of it and got rid of the splitter DRV was using for the radio receiver antenna to solve the lack of signal to the bedroom tv. When we installed a Dish HD receiver, we did a few more "tweaks" to get more stuff sorted... still am scratching my head at why this should be so complicated.... One day when I have the inspiration, I make yank everything out of the cabinet and properly sort this mess.. for now it works... I have used everything except the external sat connections (I have a roof mounted Trv'ler dish) and phone connections and all works..(knock on wood).
Can you tell me where the DRV installed satellite cables marked "ROOF" go through the roof?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Motor31

Good luck with that one USA. If drv did not install the antenna there is no guaranty that they ran the cable to the normal (for them) location to install the antenna. The cable may simply be coiled up at the end of the roof under the cap. Do not forget there may also need to be power wires for the antenna depending on what kind you want to install. If it is a self seeking unit it needs 12 volts. Same for even the crank up unit with the signal amplifier like the bat wing unit.

You really don't want to be cutting holes in the roof looking for wiring. Asking the factory for a wiring diagram won't help because drv does not use them.

With drv it is better to let them do the antenna installation than try to save a few bucks doing it yourself.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
The View 5046

Don't know about the others, but our 2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3 with the vanity slide had all the cable marked. However I did have to remove the splitter located behind the Sony receiver. But I also had to remove the Splitter in the 2009 36 TK 3. I haven't owned a 5th wheel that had a splitter that would work with HD TV. We have two receivers and HDTV in both bedroom and living ares... Happy Trails...

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
The View 5046

I do believe if I ever buy another 5th wheel I will delete the receiver and the DVD payer, and purchase the receiver and DVD player. I have been told several times by the Geeks that most RV's try to do to much with the systems they are using. I don't do no camping or boon docking at all. I only use full hook ups 50 amps so I don't need all the extra stuff that tends to be a problem. Happy Trails...

Trailer Saver TS 3
Old 01-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
USA in a Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
Good luck with that one USA. If drv did not install the antenna there is no guaranty that they ran the cable to the normal (for them) location to install the antenna. The cable may simply be coiled up at the end of the roof under the cap. Do not forget there may also need to be power wires for the antenna depending on what kind you want to install. If it is a self seeking unit it needs 12 volts. Same for even the crank up unit with the signal amplifier like the bat wing unit.

You really don't want to be cutting holes in the roof looking for wiring. Asking the factory for a wiring diagram won't help because drv does not use them.

With drv it is better to let them do the antenna installation than try to save a few bucks doing it yourself.
Thanks for the info. I have been to DRV factory twice & got good service. However, I am a 1000 miles away now near Tampa & have lousy tv reception. I plan on going to Tampa RV show next week & buy a satellite system. I thought I read somewhere that the cables run up through a roof vent. Have you heard that?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Gemstone

USA....It sounds like you have decided to purchase an automatic antenna system. Have you eliminated the consideration of a cost effective sat. system that you set up yourself, using the dish and mount provided by DirecTv or Dish ? A roof mounted antenna may be easier to use when locating the proper satellites, but it will prevent the movement of your dish when trees or buildings block your signal. Setting up a portable antenna and locking onto the sats. is not that difficult....frustrating at times, but not difficult.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
golf_bears

USA-----If you're going to the Tampa show, DRV folks and one of the local Suite dealers will be there. They may be able to help you out with where and how to locate the roof wiring for a satellite dish.

I would also consider Gemstone's suggestion, it really is not that difficult setting up a standalone dish. You can also purchase the "V" cube portable/moveable sat dish system. All you do is set it outside and it finds the satellite automatically.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
Motor31

I would second, or is it third, the suggestion to go to a stand alone box for sat TV. If you do not want to deal with a tripod and aim it yourself, the most cost effective version, then a stand alone self seeking unit is the next least expensive option. It has a couple of advantages in that you can move it away from the rig to get a sat lock if there are trees on or near the space. It is also cheaper to obtain and set up with external wires rather than try to fins and tie into the wires that are supposed to be in the roof. I have seen mounts that connect to the ladder for transport and use in open spaces. Even though we are in a wide open "park" (Davis-Monthan AFB AZ.) right now there are several rigs with the VUE or other brand of portable box.

I had the old style dish mounted on the roof. After 4 to 5 years of use it has stopped operating. I have yet to open it up but suspect the traverse gear has stripped. If so it is a boat anchor as a couple years ago I was told by a Winegard phone rep that they neither make nor supply parts for it any more and consider it totally obsolete. I am using a ground mount tripod now and that system cost less than $150.00, far less than the $1100 that I paid for the roof mount. The cable goes into the outside cable connection plate in the water control box. No electricity is needed so that is the only wire I deal with. I had the tripod because we kept finding parks with plenty of trees blocking the roof mount. The older parks tend to be oriented East to West so the Southern sky gets blocked by trees. The newer parks have their spaces set North to South and facilitate say reception. I have 100' of coax cable so I can move the dish wherever I want to get the signal.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
rotaxman

Sat

USA,

I had Doubletree install an auto aquiring sat dome on my 06 Mobile Suite.

I like the dome and it works well if you are pretty much in the open. When I bought this junk 09 I also installed an auto aquiring sat dome on it.

On this 09 the dome is mounted just a little forward of the bathroom when you are on the roof you will find the bathroom vent the white round one and a dummy vent just forward of that.

The wires are under that dummy vent but as Mike said they don't make it easy to find them. I had to go in the bathroom and take the skylight trim ring down and rummage around between the ceiling and roof to find the wires.

There was no 12 volt power there to use so I ran a wire from the compartment with all the controls slide switches thermostat etc ,etc up to the ceiling of the bathroom. I also installed the power switch for the sat dome in that compartment.

To route it over to the sat wires I had to take down the fan trim ring in the bathroom so I could fish the wire from the control panel to the sat dome location.

It was a lot of work and you have to take everything apart in the bathroom and then put it all back together when your done only after you check and make sure the dome is working correctly.

Also DRV didn't give you a lot of cable so you will have to locate your dome in a spot where the cable will reach or extend your cables if you don't like where its setting.

As others have said having a portable dish is almost a must as most of the time the dome will not find the signal if there are trees near by.

I have Hughes Internet and purchased the Hughes Direcway universal Direc TV upgrade kit which consist of an arm that attaches to the transmitter on the Hughes net dish. Once you have Hughes net you have tv.

That being said I still carry a portable Direc Tv dish as sometimes there will be a tree that will be right in line with the upgrade kit and will block my tv signal. So I guess what I'am saying is a portable dish is a lot of help at times if you want tv.

Sorry for the book

Hope this was of some help.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
The View 5046

We have the Traveler Slim line and use Direct-Tv. Since 6 Aug 2009 I have only had to set up the Slim Dish on the Tri-pod one time, and we travel 8 months a year. However I do no boon docking and try never to be under trees.

I do have the Tri-Pod system for a back up. The Traveler was factory installed fully automatic system. I haven't had a issue at all. Happy Trails....

Trailer Saver TS 3
Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
golf_bears

I forgot to mention that if you are interested in setting up a Direct TV account that you can get the tripod, dish, connectors and cable free. I don't remember the service provider but they always advertise in the Trailer Life monthly publication. Get a copy if you don't subscribe and check it out.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
USA in a Chevrolet

Thanks to all of you who replied with your experiences & suggestions. Let me give you guys a little background. We travel all over the country & most of the time the parks have cable or I can get a lot of channels on the TV antenna. However, for the second time I find myself in a park in Florida with no cable & very few stations that come in over the antenna, & most of them are spanish or PBS. We travel about 6 months a year & have cable at home. So, at this point I'm thinking of getting satellite for the rv & home. I really like HD television & get it over the air & am told that it easier to get HD with satellite using Dish. My first plan was to get the Winegard Carry Out satellite dish. Then I learned that it can only get 1 satellite at a time with the Carry Out. So now I'm thinking of going with the Traveler since we tend to travel a few days then stay for a week or 2 at one spot. Also, I want a receiver with the DVR function. Any suggestions about receivers? I'm hoping that Dish will give me a spare antenna to use if the Traveler won't work. I spoke to DRV this morning & they told me I should be able to find the wires in the rear most vent cap on my floor plan. I hope that is true! Does anyone have any suggestions for me based on these comments in my post?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #18
golf_bears

One of the Direct TV receivers we have is a DVR. Direct TV has both regular and DVR receivers. Just specific what you want when you set up your account.

In addition, you may or may not know that with Direct TV (maybe also with Dish) that if you travel beyond 275 miles from your home account you will not receive the major channels, ABC, CBS and NBC.

With Direct TV you actually need two accounts, one is your home account and the other is your Mobile account. When at home you will suspend the Mobile account and activate the Home account. When on the road do the opposite. This will allow you to contract for what they call the East-West connections.

We have Direct TV and that is how we manage the accounts. If you don't suspend one account when it is not in use you will be billed for both accounts.

If you need additional info, send me a PM and I will send you my phone number to discuss further.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
USA in a Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears
One of the Direct TV receivers we have is a DVR. Direct TV has both regular and DVR receivers. Just specific what you want when you set up your account.

In addition, you may or may not know that with Direct TV (maybe also with Dish) that if you travel beyond 275 miles from your home account you will not receive the major channels, ABC, CBS and NBC.

With Direct TV you actually need two accounts, one is your home account and the other is your Mobile account. When at home you will suspend the Mobile account and activate the Home account. When on the road do the opposite. This will allow you to contract for what they call the East-West connections.

We have Direct TV and that is how we manage the accounts. If you don't suspend one account when it is not in use you will be billed for both accounts.

If you need additional info, send me a PM and I will send you my phone number to discuss further.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
porkchop

i installed the Winegard Travelor on my roof today. At 9:00 I called DRV to ask them where the cables were on the roof. All the techs were busy, connected me to voice mail. Left message. At 9:15 Greg called me back. Said to look in the forward, right vent cap. He also told me that it was prewired for a solar battery charger, and I would find those wires under the forward, left vent cap. Looked and there they were. I am fimiliar with how these systems work, but have never even seen someone install one before.
I was drinking iced tea and watching a movie by 11:00. All of the cables on both ends were accurately labled and plenty long.
This unit is a 2011 that we purchased kind of spur of the moment the first day of December. It is our fourth DRV. I keep getting happier with every one.

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote