Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
terry and jo

Ideas for Tool Boxes Anyone???

This may have been discussed, but I'm not sure. So, I'll ask just in case it hasn't been a former topic.

We are in the process of preparing for a garage sale to get rid of excess stuff. One of the items is a large rolling tool chest. I need to sell it and a bunch of tools. As a replacement, I was thinking of a "tool chest" that is portable with a hinged lid and a few drawers. (Or maybe not...thus the question.)

Such a chest would have all our tools in one place. Would such amount of weight in a specified "footprint" be too heavy in the basement area? Or what if one used three or four plastic (thinking lightweight here) boxes and divided tools according to their respective types? That way, one could spread the weight out over different areas of the basement. That idea may also allow one to better fit the boxes in smaller nooks or crannies.

Or, would it be better to have a tool box to fit in the bed of the pickup? That idea seems to come with the relevant problem of how easy would access be if one is hooked up to the fifth wheel.

Other than those options, does any have any other ideas one could consider?

Thanks for any replies.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Motor31

I still use the old top box to my rolling tool chest. It's located in the basement on the door side as the appliances are all on the kitchen side. It helps to balance the weight a bit. It's just one of the smaller Craftsman combination boxes. I have some additional tools in the tow vehicle.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
pmkitchen

Where to keep the tool?

I too have been thinkng about tools and tool boxes. I was thinking about where and when I typically use my tools. Sure I mess with the coach and I take care of my F450 too. So, should the tools be in our coach or in the truck bed box? I went for the truck box for most of my tools. Keeping some tools in a small two draw box in the coach basement. I went through every tool I had and made a judgement about keeping them. I eliminated duplication and anything that I had not used in a year or more. I saved about 50 lbs! My idea is that I have my tools with me all the time.
pmkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Carny Bill

tools

I also have a 4 drawer chest tool box on passenger side of basement. Have always had one there since my first 2004 MS. I would not be without it.
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote