Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
DRV

No Hot Water

I full time in my DRV and no hot water since Saturday. I checked that I have propane since my gas stove works. Good that the weather is hot and a cold shower feels good....for now. Also have the campground shower to use.

This hot water situation was similar to 6 months ago when I had no hot water. A few days later I called a service tech and when he showed up the hot water heater started working without service (on its own). The service tech told me that water tanks can get air build up inside and the tanks have to be burped to get back to normal. Does this sound normal. Any ideas?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
golf_bears

Burping happens slowly as you use the water from the tank. Sounds like you get hot water sometimes and then no hot water?

My thought at this point is that you have an intermittent electrical issue assuming you heat with electric. My first guess would be one of the on/off switches. I had one go and had the same symptoms as you do.

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
chevman

No hot water?? did any water come out of the hot side or as you said no hot water just cold on the hot side.
chevman
Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Motor31

Are you always on propane heating for the water or have you tried the electrical side?

If on propane are you hearing the unit cycle repeatedly or is it just dead?

My rig uses the electrical heating more then 90% of the time unless we are dry camping. The only time I use propane to heat water is when we are restricted on amperage like a 15 amp hook up in the winter time visiting family or dry camping.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
DRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_bears
Burping happens slowly as you use the water from the tank. Sounds like you get hot water sometimes and then no hot water?

My thought at this point is that you have an intermittent electrical issue assuming you heat with electric. My first guess would be one of the on/off switches. I had one go and had the same symptoms as you do.
Must not be burping. I removed some of the water from the hot water tank and refilled. I think U are right about intermittant electric issue.

I thought when working off electric that the hot water tank and heater were the two items that U needed propane for. I know that I can switch the frig between electric and propane.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
porkchop

You can either run your water heater on propane, 120v electric or both at the same time for a really long shower. We usually run ours on the free electricity supplied at parks. Your furnace has to have 12v for the controls and blower motor, but needs propane for heat.
Several years ago after spending the winter on Texas and Arizona hard water, ours would only get warm and not hot while running on electric. I removed the heating element and it was all caked with crud. A trip to Home Depot and $17.00 later we were back in business.

Good luck, Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
DRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop
You can either run your water heater on propane, 120v electric or both at the same time for a really long shower. We usually run ours on the free electricity supplied at parks. Your furnace has to have 12v for the controls and blower motor, but needs propane for heat.
Several years ago after spending the winter on Texas and Arizona hard water, ours would only get warm and not hot while running on electric. I removed the heating element and it was all caked with crud. A trip to Home Depot and $17.00 later we were back in business.

Good luck, Bill
Thanks for the info on how to run water heater. I had to replace the check valve. Got hot water.