Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
terry and jo

Experiencing What I Call a "Water Harmonic"

OK. A "harmonic" is something that occurs "away from" the original source. It is noticeable in electronics and sounds.

Our "water harmonic" occurs in the vicinity of the shower faucet when we run water (usually hot) at either the kitchen or bathroom sink. It is a humming sound and if I'm in the bedroom, it sounds like a big horse fly is buzzing around in one of our cabinets or drawers. (Ours is a side bathroom unit, so our shower shares a wall with the bedroom.)

So, have I got a vent problem or something?

Or, have I got a mental problem?

Either answer could be right.

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Carny Bill

sound

I have a check valve on the fresh water inlet hose ithat made all kinds of noise, u might check that out.

Bill

12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
morscuba

99% it's the upper check valve.. I finally replaced it after the hot water stopped.. It hummed for almost a year before I heard a pop and the hot water went to a trickle..Took abobut 20 min to change out.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
porkchop

I agree with morscuba. Sounds exactly like ours did last year. Somewhere around $20 but not sure. Simple fix. Not too many moving parts.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
terry and jo

Thanks for the replies, Guys. Since you've mentioned an "upper" check valve, I am presuming that there is also a "lower" check valve. Now, could you clue me in to where each of those would be located in a coach with a side bathroom?

I certainly hope it isn't in where the fittings are for the shower itself. That location has to be reached via a small access panel that is actually inside a cabinet in the bedroom. Please tell me it is elsewhere.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
porkchop

It's the top water connection on your water heater. Unhook the water line, than screw the check valve off the heater. Takes a large wrench. Take it with you to make sure you get the proper fitting style on the new one. they make them male or female. Yours may be different than your neighbors.

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
BobW

I got a sound like this because we installed a outside water pressure reducers to the campground water facets. It made so much noise we had to remove it. Almost every campground we tried it on did the same thing.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
terry and jo

When we got off work today, Jo needed to wash some clothes and at one point I was near the hot water tank outside and heard a buzz. So, I went back in and turned on the hot water. Sure enough, there was the buzzing. Just a glance at it, but it looks like it is male on both ends. I'll double check before removing it.

I presume one has to drain the water heater before replacing even the top check valve. And, I don't know why, but it looks like the bottom line also has a check valve in it.

I was reading somewhere online that some RV's have three check valves; one at the hot water heater, one at the pump, and one at the city water inlet. I'll have to follow up and see, but I didn't see one at the pump.

Thanks again, Guys.
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
01zeosix

Hi Terry,

Let us know what you find out. You might want to consider closing off the HW valves, as if you were going to winterize the unit. That way the water can still be drawn in the unit (cold, of course).

Take a few pictures of what you discover and post, if you would. Pictures won't take up too much space on the CF card in that Nikon you've got and people, like myself, would appreciate the lesson learned.

Hope you have a great weekend!!!
'08 DRV MS 36RSSB3 (#4049)
100% LED Lighting
Duramax DRW Diesel
Almost "Dunworkin"
01zeosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
terry and jo

I can do that with the photos. A lot of the guys here already know a lot of the stuff I am still learning, but I can certainly try to help those "newer" than I am.

Not that it is a real nuisance of a noise, but I may try to get a new valve tomorrow and change it out.

Terry

Terry's Smugmug Site