Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
oldjo

'08 Mobile Suite - Wood Beetle Infestation

Watch Out For Powdery (almost like talcum powder) Wood-Type Residue on Walls & Furniture

Purchased our Mobile Suite a little over three years ago. Had a number of initial quality/defective equipment problems but had assumed most major problems with the unit were in the past.

About 9-12 months ago began to notice a single small (1/2") pile of wood type powder on the bedroom drawer unit counter top. After vacuuming, it wouldn't show up for weeks ... then all at once appear again. I attributed it to debris from RV construction that had filtered down from the ceiling. Big Mistake.

Then 3-4 weeks ago the single pile turned into 5-6 piles ... larger in size then the initial one. Upon further inspection of the bedroom area I found the powdery piles could be found through 20% of the paneling and into the maple framing of the closet.

I knew I had a problem that was finally identified through a Google Search. POWDER POST BEETLE.

What I discovered was confirmed by our local exterminator. The Powder Post Beetle can be present in manufactured/processed wood panels and bare wood itself. They can remain dormant for extended periods until they mature at which time they begin their "wood boring" work. They can literally turn wood panels/material into "powder" ... hence the name Powder Post Beetle."

The exterminator stated the only way to successfully eradicate them was to remove all suspected infested wood materials and burn them.

When I notified DRV (DoubleTree) about the infestation they basically said my local dealer should handle the problem. The local dealer, who I do respect from previous service, replied he had "one technician who could possibly handle the problem, but it would take over a month."

To be honest, I am reluctant trusting my dealer who does a good job with A/C, slide-out, hydraulic, etc. problems, to be competent in basically doing wood/cabinet work. I am disappointed DRV didn't offer to bring our unit back to the factory for the rework. It seems they would want to verify the origin of my Powder Post Beetle problem as if this were wide spread it could be catastrophic for DRV individually but also for Indiana based RV manufactures who may use the same wood panel/furniture products.

The Bottle Line ... Don't Ignore Small Powdery Piles of Wood-Type Residue. Particularly if they show up in Mobile Suite RV's. :(

Old 05-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

I had what I think was a similar problem--about a year after I got the trailer (2008, used) each time I put the kitchen slide out, there was a small amount of sawdust where the bottom of the wooden side panel sat. Did not think much on it until it was there every time--determined it to be some type of borer and had an exterminator treat. No more sawdust for over 2 years. What he used and how it was done I don't know--but it seems to have worked.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote