Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
lboodge

1/2 TON DODGE

Hi there, new to the forum and looking at purchasing a fifth wheel, I have a 2011 dodge Ram Laramie 1/2 ton truck, i'm wondering what size 5th i can tow with this truck, i have the 3.55 rear end and also where can i find the pin weight for a fifth wheel, is there a website etc i can check out. thanks in advance.

lboodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
In most cases the 150 series trucks are not suitable for any large heavy built 5th wheel. In some cases the tires on the 150 truck are passenger rated tires and have a low capacity rating. If you look on the door tag, you will find the GVWR or max the truck can weigh, then go to the scales and see what the truck weighs with full fuel, passengers and a hitch that probably weighs 150lbs. Subtract that sum from the GVWR and you now know the max you can put into the truck as a pin weight. Most 5th wheel trailers have a pin weight close to 20% of the gross trailer weight. Some are higher, some less, but if you use the 20% figure you should be able to see what size trailer fits into that category.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
lboodge

Thank you for the very informative reply!! Unfortunately i just came back from the dealer and he informed me since i have the 2011 shortbox model the hitch alone would cost me around 4000.00 bucks so i guess a fifth wheel won't be in my future.
lboodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
RonS

Your dealer is full of it. New Slider hitch does not cost more than 800 bucks. I sold mine for $350 when it was no longer needed. Check on line. Also think you would be happier with a bigger truck, but
have seen people pulling a small light 5th wheel w/half ton
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Gonzo

Send a message via AIM to Gonzo Send a message via MSN to Gonzo Send a message via Yahoo to Gonzo
You can go to Dodge Ram website..

Here is the site for Ram.. That'll show you the max & min. specs for a 1500 4x2 and 4x4 models as well as the others.
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_payload/2011/