Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
george in azle

How do you protect your fiver's electrical system?

I'm considering purchasing a "Surge Guard 34560" but thought about seeing what others use first.

My main concern is plugging into a campground power outlet that is bad.

I used to think that a problem would simply flip a breaker but have heard others talking about frying circuits or appliances.

Any thoughts?

george in azle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Last year in Quartzite, we bought a Power-Pro circuit tester. Before I ever plug in, I plug in my Power-Pro. It runs a check on all aspects of the system and talks to me. It either says Ok to plug in, or what the problem is. Have found a few problems and have contacted the manager, or moved to a new site. I also would be interested to hear what others are using.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
JEBar

for the last 3 years we have used a surge protector purchased from Camping World:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=18338

which we plug directly into the campground's electricty... we then plug an Autoformer purchased from Camping World:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=21210

into the surge protector ... the 50 amp cord for our camper is then plugged into the Autoformer ... later this month when our new 5er arrives I will have them wired into the basement where they will be inside rather than outside the camper ... so far this combo has served us well

Jim
Old 09-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
george in azle

A friend called me this morning and has almost got me convinced that the autoformer is the way to go. They do offer surge protection but not as much as some of the "Surge Guards" do. Is that why you hook both up together?
george in azle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
rverdlm

For the past ten years we've just checked for proper polarity and good grounds. We then just plug in and have had no problems. I know many people swear by auto formers, but they will not work if the problem is bad wiring in the CG.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
caddojay

George, we installed a EMS ( emergency management system) in our M/S. It has saved us a few times from over/under voltage problems. We had it hard wired in the electrical system in Kansas at the 04 Great American RV Rally. The unit was around $500.00, but has kept us out of trouble in Florida, Texas Panhandle, and a State Park in Goliad. I enjoy your articles and posts. I've posted a perplexing problem on the M/S page. Take a look. Can you offer any help?
Texas' oldest and only natural lake
caddojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
MDTdriver

Auto Former

Auto Former's do what the heading in there add says boost power when 110 to 112 volts up 10%. But if you get a surge you may lose electronins in you rv. I lost a card in my inverter two times and Auto Former was fried inside. I would not use one every again.

Larry & Kathy plus Mojo
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
lakejumper

MDT Driver:
Since the Autoformer didn't work well for you. Do you recommend anything else like a Surge Guard? This is a topic that I have just started to research after hearing of some folks electrical problems.

Thanks,
Lakejumper
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
Motor31

I use surge protectors on all of the electronics I have plugged into the trailer. I bought the lightning class surge protectors and have all of the stereo / tv items as well as my computer equipment plugged into them. It was no big expense as I was using the same items in the stick house before we went full time. They are cheap insurance for surges.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
Hobo

Re: Auto Former

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTdriver
Auto Former's do what the heading in there add says boost power when 110 to 112 volts up 10%. But if you get a surge you may lose electronins in you rv. I lost a card in my inverter two times and Auto Former was fried inside. I would not use one every again.

Larry & Kathy plus Mojo
I too would not have one. The one I had shorted out and the repair people did a rotten job under warrantee. It shorted again only this time it caused HIGH voltage to go though the trailer and took out the Inverter. They would not stand behind their repair and cost me more then low voltage would have. A surge suppresser would be a better idea along with a wall meter to see what kind of voltage you have when hooked up.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:03 AM   #11
The Spices

I'm using the hard-wired version of the 50 AMP Surge Guard - good insurance. Kind of like the sliding hitch on the short bed. No problems yet.

Former - 2010 MS 36RS3 w/ MorRyde IS and pinbox, Mag susp., Level Up plus a number of custom mods. 600 watt AM Solar
2012 F450 King Ranch with Classy Chassis hauler bed conversion, Trailsaver
The Spices is offline   Reply With Quote