Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
kevin

Math on FLAGSTAFF Weight, doesnt add up?

Hi folks! Semi-Green Newbie in town. I just got my truck which I made sure wouldn't hinder what I would want to tow. In addition, I'm only looking at Lite trailers because I really want the truck to perform well and last and want the smallest length so its less an issue in some of those cramped corridors.

Now I am either confused on trailer weights or manufactures are not worried about what they put on the streets. Any help in deciding which is which would be helpful.

I'm looking at a 2014 Forest River FLAGSTAFF CLASSIC SUPER LITE 8528RKWS. The seller states the GVWR as 8950, Dry as 7513 and liquid capacities of 76 gallon grey, 40 gallon black, 43 gallon fresh water and 60lbs propane.

Seems to me in a best case scenario given liquid weighing 8.36 pounds per gallon on a good day I'd be lucky to have 400lbs left for cargo. I am looking primarily at boon docking and this seems well equipped except for cargo capacity.

So, am I missing an important point? Just seems illogical anyone would build something with little room for cargo that sleeps four people.

kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I'm looking at a 2014 Forest River FLAGSTAFF CLASSIC SUPER LITE 8528RKWS. The seller states the GVWR as 8950, Dry as 7513 and liquid capacities of 76 gallon grey, 40 gallon black, 43 gallon fresh water and 60lbs propane.

Well it would be normally unlikely that you would head off into the parking spot carrying full tanks of grey and black. You would start with a full tank of fresh, and by the looks of it be able to then dump that 43 gallons into the empty grey and black tanks. Depending on the situation where you might be able to dump the grey tank on the ground you would end up with a full 40 gallons of black. But I have been wrong many times in the past and this could be another?
Using the GVWR minus the empty guestimated weight less a full tank of fresh water would leave you with just about 1,000 lbs left to add clothes, food, camping gear, hitch and what ever else you put into the trailer. I would start first, go get it weighed before you put a tube of tooth paste inside and see what you really have to work with. Then we can talk real numbers and not be guessing. Just my opinion

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
kevin

Thanks for the view point. I was doing math as if on the way out I would be at full grey and black and half propane which put me at around 437 left for cargo. Looking at on the way in with just fresh water definitely gives me more flex. I would suppose I wouldn't be traveling much without dumping. The suggestion about weighing is great! One I never even entertained but is now on my list of things to ask sellers for.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Many times the owner that has a unit for sale may not have it empty of all personal items, some put the rv up for sale and will remove everything once it sells. So if that is the case it would be impossible to get a true empty weight. Using the brochure empty weights printed there can be inaccurate also as they don't always include any optional items in the empty weights. So running the empty trailer over a set of scales gives a much better idea on what you are dealing with. Fill with water, empty other tanks and see whats what. It is not out of the question to tell the owner you would gladly pay for the weigh to know if the trailer is what you can safely haul and load with your things.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
CALinSC

I looked-up the specs for your trailer and found one glaring error. The dry weight is actually 7130# leaving 1820# for cargo capacity.

Since 2007 RV trailer manufacturers MUST include the weight of the installed propane system and it's propane capacity as part of the shipping weight (dry weight).

According to the specs the GAWRs should be around 4000#. I'm hoping the trailer has ST225/75R15D tires. They would be much better than anything smaller. FR may have installed ST205/75R15D tires because they will work, but, they won't provide much load capacity reserves if fitted to your trailer.