Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #41
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Stanley,
Do you run TP sensors? If so, they would be very useful if you want to go to the trouble to keep track of how fast the pressure rises from cold over time at lower psi. I believe you will find that the lower you run the psi at any given load, the faster/higher the psi will rise, along with temp, when towing. I do not think you can do much better than run the sidewall max psi (which will be either 120 or 125 for most 17.5s).
We can get caught up too much with specs/opinions/tables/charts--which may be helpful for lower load range tires--but for the 17.5s, just run at the sidewall max and enjoy the trip.
Joe
Yes, I do use TPIS but I've never used it like that. I mainly look for one that might be out of sync with the others, I got the TPIS after the 17.5s and it's never shown one out of range but it does give a lot of false alarms. I have been towing stuff of one kind or another since 1958 and all I've ever used is sidewall max but the guys above are making some interesting points. I guess I'm gonna have to go on the GY web site and see what they say.

Right now I'm thinking I'll try one more year with these tires and then think on it.

Thanks to all who responded.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #42
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Besides this post I have only heard of two GY "H" tire tread separations, never a blow out.

What side of the RV were the tires on?
OK, make it three. I had the 16 inch and blew 2 in 2010. (5 years old). replaced them, thought about it and upgraded to 17.5 inch 16 ply H rated in 2012. Tires were made in mid 2012 and mounted in September of 2012. In July 2017 one blew out, thread separation. Replaced all 4 with Hankooks and discarded the three that hadn't blown yet.

PS, don't bother blaming the customer. None of the tires were ever abused and even the G rated tires were well within ratings.

Moral of the story: 4 years and off they go, period.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #43
Cummins12V98

"PS, don't bother blaming the customer."

Not sure where that statement came from???

Did the 17.5 actually blow? I have ONLY heard of and seen the center three ribs come loose, no blow outs on any.

I recently had one loose center tread, and two that were suspicious. Daniels tire in Bakersfield, CA replaced all three. I spoke to the SoCal rep and he said they would pay for all three to be replaced.

This is the first and ONLY GY tire issue I have ever had and they stood up like I knew they would and took care of me.

You should have turned in your bad 17.5 for a replacement or refund.
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #44
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
The whole time I was out weighing rv's I heard so many stories of the G tires failing and found in many cases they were just working too hard, too close to max loaded range 100% of the time (trailers too heavy for the tire) plus there was a time frame of construction problems. But when folks went up to the H rated tire the failure rate almost disappeared. Then you would hear of the rare failure of an H and it was tread peeling, no loss of air pressure. The Goodyear Rep I was dealing with said to me he thought that failure was almost always too low of pressure for the load it was required to carry. Thus twisting the tread of the casing when the trailer was backing into a site at low speed. Was he right or wrong? don't know but the H was a lot better tire for the heavy trailers.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #45
anijet

Well, I had a true blow out last week. Goodyear H tires mfg. and bought in late 2012. Probably less than 30K miles. Always run at 120 psi cold. Tread still looked like 90%. Rolling down I80 just west of SLC it sounded like a 12 gauge! Looked in mirror and smoke was rolling out. Pulled over as quickly as I could. Looked back and saw part of the tread on the road where the tire blew. TST monitor didn't have time to warn, it was sudden. Bought a new set of Goodyears in SLC. Damage to the outside was fairly minor, some wrinkling of the lower skirt behind the aft wheel. It tore up the underside outside of the frame behind the tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170807_163740.jpg (249.9 KB, 10 views)
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:13 PM   #46
stanleyz

That settles it, I 80 is the problem. That's where mine blew too in South Dakota near BFE. Only the old guys will know where that is. (if you don't know ask your dad) Mine was always aired up properly and should not have blown at less than 5 years old. My TPMS was on and working but didn't have time to alarm. Tread came off in the center and the tire blew.

Blame the customer is what GY reps are prone to do. Great example above. The tire blew because it was under aired and backed into a space and twisted. Excuse me but I thought it was designed for a trailer. They mostly have multi axles and the tires twist. Or the ones that say that airing a tire is akin to brain surgery and you should re-air every time the water in the tanks increases or decreases. How does the customer prove he did or didn't do those things.

I agree the G rated tires were pretty light for the Mobile Suites but I'm almost sure that if we could find it there was a document where GY assured Doubletree that the tires were adequate for the trailer. The H rated tires should not fail like that. I paid top dollar for what I thought was a top tire but I gave the other three away and if offered replacements I would only take them to sell. I am done with GY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0393.jpg (278.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3146 (1).jpg (216.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3148 (1).jpg (195.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3147.jpg (192.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-13-2017, 11:29 PM   #47
stanleyz

Just for grins I thought I'd put a pic of the G rated blow out. 1 of 2 I had the same year. Looks like the SOS to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slc home 073.jpg (162.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg slc home 066.jpg (145.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg slc home 069.jpg (160.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #48
anijet

Thought I would mention that last year when i had the Morryde IS installed they weighed each wheel and the highest was around 3800 pounds. About 1000 pounds less than the tire is rated for. I will admit on the open road I roll at 75 mph, again it's what the tire is rated for. Getting tires in SLC they wanted $2400 for a set of Goodyear and $1400 for a Hankook made H tire. They assured me the Hankook's were rated fro 75 mph and since the Goodyear didn't work out too well, I agreed to install them. During the install I pressed them for documentation of the 75 mph. After about an hour of searching they finally found the rating - 65 mph. I made them pull them off and complained about being mislead into a probable dangerous situation. They agreed to $2000 OTD balanced with new metal valve stems for Goodyear since I didn't have time to research other brands.

Been through BFE but never spent the night. Couple more pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170807_163719.jpg (175.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20170807_161938.jpg (210.3 KB, 4 views)
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #49
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripit View Post
The whole time I was out weighing rv's I heard so many stories of the G tires failing and found in many cases they were just working too hard, too close to max loaded range 100% of the time (trailers too heavy for the tire) plus there was a time frame of construction problems. But when folks went up to the H rated tire the failure rate almost disappeared. Then you would hear of the rare failure of an H and it was tread peeling, no loss of air pressure. The Goodyear Rep I was dealing with said to me he thought that failure was almost always too low of pressure for the load it was required to carry. Thus twisting the tread of the casing when the trailer was backing into a site at low speed. Was he right or wrong? don't know but the H was a lot better tire for the heavy trailers.

My RV axle weight is 17,960# on CAT scales. I run 125psi. 4,806# capacity x 4 = 19,224#.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #50
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by anijet View Post
Well, I had a true blow out last week. Goodyear H tires mfg. and bought in late 2012. Probably less than 30K miles. Always run at 120 psi cold. Tread still looked like 90%. Rolling down I80 just west of SLC it sounded like a 12 gauge! Looked in mirror and smoke was rolling out. Pulled over as quickly as I could. Looked back and saw part of the tread on the road where the tire blew. TST monitor didn't have time to warn, it was sudden. Bought a new set of Goodyears in SLC. Damage to the outside was fairly minor, some wrinkling of the lower skirt behind the aft wheel. It tore up the underside outside of the frame behind the tire.

Did you turn in a claim? If not you should have. Yes even at 6 years old, they may surprise you.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #51
wingnut60
Site Team

It is my useless opinion that any Doubletree/DRV fiver running on 16" wheels is going to have trouble some day. These units should all have 17.5" tires/wheels, then the capacity is there for the trailer.
If a 17.5" blows/fails, then that to me is just bad luck. At 4805lbs/tire, it gives 19220 for capacity on 4 tires. With about +20% pin weight on almost any DRV, that gives a gross capacity of around 23000 for the unit. At that point, you should be in triple-axle territory.
I had 17.5s on my '05 (changed them soon after purchase in '07 based on advice from another former Suites owner (sigo 'n suites, remember him?). Since then, have never had a tire failure in possibly 100k miles of towing. Currently have GYs on the '15 I just got--hoping they work well as the Michelins/Coopers/Sailuns I have used.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #52
Cummins12V98

stanley's, what date were your GY "G" tires? up to mid 07 they did have failures. after that they have had a stellar record.

As far as tire monitoring IMHO it's a waste of time, money, and dash space! My tread came loose 15 minutes after I fueled and inferred the tires, go figure!

The rep said if I notice my 4th tire center tread looking visibly higher than the outer two to call him and he would have it replaced no problem.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #53
CALinSC

Here is the reference to the Goodyear G114. Click on the “back to details” tab and you will find that it is specifically designed for “trailer service only”. It’s a regional service tire (RST).

https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/t...rodline=160807
Old 08-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #54
porkchop

stanleyz+ If you were on I-80 in South Dakota you had a lot more problems than tires!

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #55
stanleyz

Yeah. I would have likedsailuns i may have spelled that wrong. Getting a lot of good feedback on them including my tire guy of 20 years at home.

However. Having popped the GY 12 miles from BFE my options were limited. Instead of waiting the required 3 hours for road side I elected to put the spare on myself. A 10 ply truck tire so i wasnt going to go too far onit. When i found the nearest truck tire dealer the only 17.5 they had were the hankooks and they only had 2. So i took those and when i got to wall i got the local tire guy to get me two more. I was in Korea for 13 months in 1962 and I have a soft spot for the country. That does not extend to North Korea.

I did note the absense of a speed rating on the sidewalls but was told 65 which is fine for me. I am absolutly sure both sets of failed GYs were properly inflated at all times. I am equally sure that the new tires will be replaced after 4 years of age regardless of miles. I would suggest that as a good pratice for anyone towing a heavy 5er.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #56
stanleyz

Well yeah i had it on a trailer. Regional use i think is a reflection on the wheel size
Old 08-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #57
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
stanleyz+ If you were on I-80 in South Dakota you had a lot more problems than tires!

Bill
Yeah I did. It was high 90s low 100s. But the only ways west are 70 80 or 90. Like choosing between 3 ugly women to date.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #58
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
stanley's, what date were your GY "G" tires? up to mid 07 they did have failures. after that they have had a stellar record.

As far as tire monitoring IMHO it's a waste of time, money, and dash space! My tread came loose 15 minutes after I fueled and inferred the tires, go figure!

The rep said if I notice my 4th tire center tread looking visibly higher than the outer two to call him and he would have it replaced no problem.
Yep. My Gs were dated mid 05. I tried to get a fifth year from them. They looked great.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #59
porkchop

70 rruns across kansas, 80 across nebraska, 90 is in south dakota unless my memory is faulty
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #60
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
70 rruns across kansas, 80 across nebraska, 90 is in south dakota unless my memory is faulty
Yep. Miles and miles of boring. 90 has the advantage of the black hills. We really like it there. We go back on 70 to spend a few days in colo springs, another stop we like. Headed there today matter of fact. Over monarch pass 11,000 ft plus. Now there is a place you dont want a blow out.