Old 12-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #51
Cummins12V98

The oil bath system is the BEST hands down, it's just whether there are QUALITY parts installed.

I may go to that system if I can source the parts.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #52
Dapperdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
The oil bath system is the BEST hands down, it's just whether there are QUALITY parts installed.

I may go to that system if I can source the parts.
I agree with Ron, oil bath is best, however while we were at MORryde last summer getting the risers the techs STRONGLY urged me to switch to the old fashioned hand re-pack system. I "caved" because of the comment the one tech said, as long as the wheels get spun once in a while you're OK but most people don't remember to give those wheels a few spins every now and then while sitting and the bearings dry out at the top and the problems begin. I didn't want to take the chance not remembering to spin my wheels. It's not that hard to pull the hubs and inspect the bearings.

Dan

Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 PM   #53
Rockyhud

I got a chance to call Kodiak late this afternoon and talked with Jesse about the bearings and hubs. He echoed the same remarks as others, that he can't tell which type is installed just based on having 8K Lippert axles and Kodiak 250 disc brakes. I need to at least see what the spindle cap looks like, then he can tell me. He also said the Nev-R-Lube bearings were phased out in 2010, with a switch to separate inner and outer bearings (maybe oil bath hubs or ones with greased bearings?) and with our RV having a manufacture date in 2010 it's on the cusp of having one or the other. I also got some relief when I asked him the ball park cost of new hubs with bearings and rotors and he said about $110 or so most likely. I'm hoping the weather here allows me to check out the type of hubs this weekend so I can get the correct parts ordered next week.
RV: 2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509, with several options to make living in it nice.
Truck: Beefed up 97 Ram 2500 4x4 with 12-valve Cummins, 5-speed, long bed. Tows the DRV very nicely.
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM   #54
wingnut60
Site Team

Whatever you end up doing, get the torque numbers from Kodiak for the caliper bolts--several instances of the calipers coming loose and ruining the rotor.
I think you will find you have the NRLs on your axle, not the oil bath. Easy to see which is which with the hubcap off.
2015 38RSSA #7382
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #55
Rockyhud

Thanks for the torque tip. Weather and time permitting I'm going to pop the hubcap off this weekend. Sure hoping it doesn't have NRL hubs, especially after hearing from Kodiak they've been phased out and will get harder and harder to find as time goes.
RV: 2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509, with several options to make living in it nice.
Truck: Beefed up 97 Ram 2500 4x4 with 12-valve Cummins, 5-speed, long bed. Tows the DRV very nicely.
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #56
oldbird

I'm following along Steve! Just a side note my NRL hubs on my Travel Supreme lasted nine years and were still going strong when I sold it. I'm not talking about driving three miles to the local campground for a weekend and back. I'm talking about 10-12 thousand miles across country every year. Good Luck!
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM   #57
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapperdan View Post
people don't remember to give those wheels a few spins every now and then while sitting and the bearings dry out at the top and the problems begin. I didn't want to take the chance not remembering to spin my wheels.
If it was possible that oil of the oil bath lube did drain and dry the bearing, 1/2 spin would take care of it, just getting your trailer hooked up and moved a few feet would get the bearings lubed.

I have yet to see anything more then internet rumors with regards to properly maintained oil bath (typically filled with gear oil) hubs having rusty bearings just because someone didn't rotate the wheels.
How is it that moisture got into the sealed system and rusted out all these bearings?

The leakage that has been seen on DRV's with the oil bath hubs might have something to do with the plastic caps (and o-rings) and-or incorrect torquing of those caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyhud View Post
new hubs with bearings and rotors and he said about $110 or so
If that is true, it is a very good price.

I bought a Kodiak hub and rotor (no bearings, but included seals) this past August from eTrailer for $123.
The same package from Kodiak was $275

Note, the oil bath hubs require different seals if using oil.
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:40 AM   #58
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapperdan View Post
I agree with Ron, oil bath is best, however while we were at MORryde last summer getting the risers the techs STRONGLY urged me to switch to the old fashioned hand re-pack system. I "caved" because of the comment the one tech said, as long as the wheels get spun once in a while you're OK but most people don't remember to give those wheels a few spins every now and then while sitting and the bearings dry out at the top and the problems begin. I didn't want to take the chance not remembering to spin my wheels. It's not that hard to pull the hubs and inspect the bearings.

Dan
I have to say the "drying out" comment is really a joke! I would have asked them how many bearings have actually gone bad or is it the fact the caps and poor quality seals leaked?

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is online now   Reply With Quote