Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
AlwaysHomeNow

Sleep Number mattress for RVs

Has anyone put the sleep number mattress in your MS - the one's that have the hydraulic lift?
If yes, what did you do to protect the mattress from being punctured or torn by the springs on the platform? The mattress that came with our unit already has tears in it from rubbing on the springs. I don't want to invest that much money in the Sleep Number, only to have it ruined.

Also, has lifting the head or foot of the bed caused any problems to the mattress?

2005 36TK3 #2280
2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax/Allison DRW
Just the DH and I living wherever the contract is
AlwaysHomeNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Motor31

Not to put you off or anything but if you do a search on this section of the forum I think you'll find a thread dealing with your exact question.

IIRC some folks put a sheet of plywood under the mattress and you can also remount the springs so the hook is facing down.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
AlwaysHomeNow

Thanks Motor31. You're right. I did a search and found a thread where some had replaced the springs with plywood. It also jogged my memory about Bear Beds, which I'll check into since they offer to do custom sizes. Our kings are not true kings - a cross between reg king and cal king.
2005 36TK3 #2280
2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax/Allison DRW
Just the DH and I living wherever the contract is
AlwaysHomeNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
rverdlm

We did the plywood instead of springs and we use a Cal King sleep number mattress. We just let most of the air out before we bring the slide in and the mattress just scrunches up without a problem.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
jdwilson3

select number

Camping World is the "exclusive" distributor of Sleep Number for RV KING.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
sigo'suite

http://www.bearbeds.com/
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
nelsonraymond

Send a message via AIM to nelsonraymond
sleep number vrs. bear bed

Hi
FYI we have been in CA. for 2 months and tried to get BearBeds cooperation and order a special RV King Size. I did leave messages via phone and email that they never returned. I fianally got a hold of someone and got some info. When we were ready to order I called and never got a return call and I also sent emails with no response. I figure if they are this poor at communicating what happens if there is a problem with the bed and we need warranty?
We decided to go with Camping World who has the 72 X 80. I called Select Comfort Maunfacture who will not sell the King(but will sell the RV Queen to you) and they said the King is a Model 4000 with the upgraded whipser pump and digital readout that comes on the model 5000( when you buy from Select comfort stores).
It carries the Selct comfort warranty and you can get the service and not worry about it.
I thought some i would just pass this on.
Janice
nelsonraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
rverdlm

Check with the MS factory. I've been told that they now have the correct size SC mattress available.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
sigo'suite

The above post by nelsonraymond made me curious; so I called Bear Beds and talked with Tami.
They have had major phone issues which have been resolved. This was probably the reason for lack of response. She apologized for the problem and I told her that I would get on the forum and explain the probable cause.
I have not to date purchased anything from them but have talked several times with them on the phone and they have always been very responsive to my inquiries. In fact they are shipping me a sample of the memory foam they use in their memory foam mattreses today. They also sell memory foam mattresses.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
nelsonraymond

Send a message via AIM to nelsonraymond
Bear Beds

Hi
For what it is worth. We have been in CA. for 2 months. We contacted Tami or tried early in the 1st month via the phone and email, she did apologize and I told her I had some concerns then about how hard it was to get a hold of someone then and why if we did purchase and had a problem etc...... she assured me it would not be a problem and said she did not understand why the guy who handles the emails didn't answer my email. So when we got ready with a qeustion and to order we sent emails and phones several times with nether response. The last time the phone mail box said it was full. They can say they had phone problems but what about the internet email communications.
We would have prefereed to have given them the sale in the beginng but after all of this hassle we really don't know if thay would be reliable if there would be a warranty issue. Sorry about all the miss-spells earlier had to edit)
Janice
nelsonraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
RonS

Where can a RV King Select comfort Sleep Number 72x80 mattress be purchased other than camping world??
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
hitchup

It looks like Select Comforts website has RV sizing, but only for the Queen or Short Queen. All of the Kings are standard 76X80 or CAKing 72X84. So from what I can tell, so far CW IS the only source for 72X80. From Google: Besides CW.

http://www.planetonline.com/Online_S...ID16278089.php
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
RonS

I called DT and talked with Dave Nelson who said DT is doing a test of the select comfort mattress, and MAY add to DT options if they pass the test. So now it looks like camping world is the only answer to the RV KING 72x80. I have not yet checked out the Bear line.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
hitchup

Sounds like Bear Beds isn't such a great alternative source to Select Comfort anymore.

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/in...d/21098376.cfm
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #15
sigo'suite

Think we'll buy our memory foam mattress somewhere else.

Was already considering "Bed in a Box" :

http://www.bedinabox.com/

Know anyone who has one?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
RonS

Memory foam (4inch) it is better, but does not fit under the dresser slide in. Have not moved from this RV park for over three months, and I already know its going to be a PITA when we head home in a couple weeks.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
JOHN EVANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
I called DT and talked with Dave Nelson who said DT is doing a test of the select comfort mattress, and MAY add to DT options if they pass the test. So now it looks like camping world is the only answer to the RV KING 72x80. I have not yet checked out the Bear line.
Quote:
4-4-08 Since our unit is at the factory, we decided to check with the parts dept . to see if they have a sleep number matterss for our 38 rl3. They would have to order 1 for us and it should be in early next week. The cost for the king size 72x80 mattress is $1,280 pricey but it has to be a whole better then the one that came with the unit .

JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote