Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
igotjam

2007 Suites Entertainment System

After 7 months I have managed to figure out how to get the TV to operate (antenna only) and how to play a DVD. I have not yet figured out how to get the cable to work and in the hopes it is a user problem, I'm asking for suggestions.
I have invited a 2008 suite and 2005 suite owner over to help but nothing they tried would work. Both say my system is different from theirs so while I appreciate all ideas, I'm really looking for a response from a 2007 owner.
I have the basic system (no satellite or logitech) but do have 2 samsung LCD TVs. I have tried 2 different cables to connect to park cable..neither will work.
I have a Winegard Entertainment Select with a power button, Main TV, VCR, and TV2 buttons. These 3 have further selections of TV ANT, AUX, and TV ANT AUX.
I have an AVS200HD Smart Source (this is different from the 2008 & 2005) with Power buttons and TV1 to TV4 buttons. The TV1 - TV4 buttons are further divided into SAT, VCR, DVD, AUX.
I have a Sony STRK700U Sound thing and A Sony DVD player DVPNC86H.

I think I have tried every combo of buttons and have used the TV setup to program cable channels. What I would like to know is which buttons are set which way for your cable to work?? Does the Winegard Antenna box need to be turned off for cable to work?? (someone told me that but it makes no difference that I can see..

Before you ask the dealer was no help...."Doubletree wires each one different...you just have to play with it to see what happens" I have discussed it with DT (Mr Custer I think) without success.

Thanx

igotjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Don't have the answer for you, but when we started to make ours work with the cable from a park, it also didn't work. The cable lead from the outside of the trailer to the switch box, was installed on the wrong port. Switching that one wire, corrected everything.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
DebDav

We also had cable wiring problems. Took a sympathetic and technology superior cable installer to spend 3 hours with various meters and other tools to give us an acceptable solution.

We cannot connect to park cable without changing cables inside. We cannot use our expensive, automatic batwing antenna.

We use both external connectors - one to each satelite output. We now have Direct TV at both inside locations. All splitters and switch boxes are out of the equation.

I am disappointed with Double Tree. But I am able to view TV and keep DW satisfied.
2007 SB3 #3394
2005 F350 DRW
DebDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Red Ram

We have the same system in our trailer as you do and it is a total pain in the neck.

When we picked up our unit, the first thing my wife noticed was that we had the same problem that you have. When we returned it to the dealer for some minor adjustments I told them not to call me untill the TV problem was addressed.

They did get the TV to work with cable hookup. They said that there were some cables hooked up wrong from the factory. I still have big problems trying to hook up Sat. dish, although after hours of switching things around I have got it to work. I made notes of all the buttons and cables that I changed to get reception. This helps the next time you go to set things up.

One thing that I noted, which may or may not help you is on the Wineguard select buttons, I found out to get cable TV I had to have the VCR button pushed in.

There are just too many menue's and options of how to set these things up for them to be simple. Your are lucky that you don't have the Logitech remote, that thing is in a drawer gathering dust, another usless item with this system, and it seems that no two systems are wired the same.

Other than the "Wonderful Sony Surround Enterment System" the unit has been really nice. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Gemstone

Our 2006 ES TK3 was wired bass ackwards...we took hours to figure it out, but now all is working. If I recall correctly, the rear of the video switch was mis-labled. The incorrect placement of the inputs from the outside connections (which resulted in further bad connections to the components) to the video distribution center (video switch) was the problem. We took it one step at a time, resolving one defect before proceeding to the next. I wish I could be of more help, but unless you have defective cable, with patience you should be able to resolve it.

Good Luck to you
Old 12-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #6
igotjam

Thanks for the ideas. I will try them but if I can't get it, I will run a cable in the window direct to the TV. Tried the Best Buy Geek Squad but they said they had worked on suites before....they won't look at it based upon past experience.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Motor31

On our rig I spent most of a day sorting out the rats nest of cables and wires that they hooked up at the factory. I found that they had used multiple splitters between the outside cable and sat connectors and the signal switching box. They had also put wires onto the wrong places on the box. Getting rid of the splitters which really screw up the satellite connections made a huge difference. Invest in some barrel connectors so you can splice the cables together for direct feed to the outside. It will help big time. There may also be splitters in the basement just behind the outside cable connector location. I found 2 there.

I ended up tracing wires by hooking up a 1.5 volt battery and jumper wires to the outside connections then checking for the voltage on the inside by the switching box. That sorted out what went where. I did the same with the interior wires going between the bedroom and main TV. At this time most everything works. I have one functional outside connector, the other is dead. It's sufficient for me as we use our satellite no matter where we are and now can hook up the aux. ground antenna to the system if we park in a treed up space.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
bstark

I'm going to hazard a slightly technical offering:

You can make a signal-generator to emulate that of an active satellite feed by using a short section of co-ax and a 9v battery with a battery pig-tail connector. Strip a short piece off of the co-ax to bare the solid copper center lead and solder that to the positive (red) wire of the connector and solder the foil outer wrap to the negative (black) wire of the connector and that will give you power throughout your system via the cable hookups to enable you to use a volt/ohmmeter to see where your feeds are or aren't going.

Using 2 of the batteries in series will give you good voltage to generate a loud tone through those satfinders that have combinaqtion of annalog sweep needle and tone to signal you've aimed your dish at a satellite. I have a pigtail of 3 of the co-ax's made up so that can use it with a multiple LNB dish to hear tones from 3 of those satfinders simultaneously so I'm not relying on the screen inside to tell me when I've got a good lock. Using one of these makeshift tools to trace all of your cable feeds into and out of that Winegard selctor panel would be a good place to start
Old 12-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
RGordon

I would suggest you give this a try before you tackle the wiring issue. I go to the bedroom, turn on tv and make sure all the selector switches are turned on, then take the tv remote, hit menu, go to input selection, push right button , then you will have to select between air or cable. Select cable, then scroll down to channel select and do a automatic channel search. This should turn on the cable. Then you will have to go through the same menu just like you did in the bedroom. The reason you go to the bedroom first, is because all the selector switches are in the bedroom. Once you figure it out, it will become easier in the future. I would seriously doubt the wiring is wrong. Mine is somewhat more complicated, since I have the satallite, logitech remotes, sorround sound, but the tv remotes are all the same and have to be properly setup for the tv's to know where the signal source is coming from.
I am doing this from memory and don't have readily access to my suites to tell you exactly how the procedure works.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
Mikey

Similar Problem

We couldn't get cable to work either - 2007 MS

Located problem - splitter at TV in living room - faulty!
Our 32" has separate inputs for cable and antenna
only the antenna worked

Bought new splitter - works great!

"Merry Christmas"

Mike and Maureen
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #11
igotjam

RGORDON....Thanx but can't get cable to work after doing setup with every button combo.
Mikey....good thought but first need to figure out how to get to back of TV. (any ideas how to get it off the wall mounting?) When I have access I can try to connect a cable from the park directly.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #12
dz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotjam
RGORDON....Thanx but can't get cable to work after doing setup with every button combo.
Mikey....good thought but first need to figure out how to get to back of TV. (any ideas how to get it off the wall mounting?) When I have access I can try to connect a cable from the park directly.
On my 2007 36TK3 the Main TV is mounted on a cool tilt up wall mount bracket. Just pull out and up on the bottom of the TV.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #13
igotjam

DZ06
Yup I have the tilt thing too. Thanx... Cable directly to TV works so I guess I'll forget about the DT wiring and figure out how to run cable permanently in the window. Such a shame that you have to mickey mouse stuff that doesn't work properly. Interesting to note that in most of the replies to my questions, almost everyone had problems but no one got DT to fix them (everyone fixed their own).I know in my case I have given up on getting things done under warranty. If everyone who had a problem with their entertainment system held DT accountable maybe DT would be more careful when building it?
Anyway, thanx for the info.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #14
hitchup

The only things we've changed on our Electronics is to add two DTV receivers & XBox 360. Sony plasma is super heavy, but can be lifted off the rear bracket. With one of our sons, they removed the TV last Christmas so they could attach the HDMI wire. That allows us to use the XBox for HD DVD's.

Then when other forum members mentioned Sat. signal strength, David removed the splitter in the outside utility cabinet. We did have the dealer Tech rewire the bedroom before we picked up our unit. During the predelivery, the Tech told us the way DT wired electronics, it would have mirrored the living room program. Why, when the Winegard control box has different sections, we just took his word for it.

We occasionally watched Cable at the last RVP. It required someone to manually change button on WG control box to CABLE TV in MAIN TV. Then from the TV remote, change channel on Sony TV to Cable channel. WG CBox is only changed for Antenna, Cable or VCR use. It has DVD button, but we change out the input on TV to watch a DVD or play XBox.

We watch satellite 90% of the time from our Winegard Dome, so it's hard to remember what or when we push which button!
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:38 PM   #15
Suitedreams

We had the same problem and it took us about a week to figure it out. Try these steps:
1. Make sure the cable does not need a cable box to decode the signal.
2. If it does not; plug it directly to the TV from outside the window.
3. Take your Samsung remote and press the Source button in the upper right corner.
4. Press this button until Air and then some channel# appears in the upper left corner. You will see one of these three (Component, AV1 or Air #). Air means the source is your roof antenna.
5. When Air and channel # appears, press Menu on your remote, scroll down to Channel.
6. Move right to highlight Antenna.
7. Move right once more and you will see Air and Cable.
8. Highlight Cable and press enter. At this time the Antenna will show Cable.
9. Scroll down to Auto Program and a menu will pop up to start searching.
10. Cable System will appear. Most systems are STD, so press enter again to begin Auto Programming. If your cable is not dead from your outside box, then the number of channels should appear.
11. Press Menu twice to exit and the channels that were programmed should appear on your TV.
12. If you were successful, then plug the cable into your camper. Go into your bedroom and get the cable that reads "Cable" and plug it into the Winegard Booster labeled (from AUX).
13. Press Cable on the Winegard Booster and with luck, your TV should work.

Sorry this posting is so long, but sometimes it takes step by step instructions. Hope it helps.
2007 Mobile Suite 36SB3 #3804
Suitedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #16
igotjam

Suitedreams
I understand what you are saying perfectly. Unfortunately I just moved to a park in Mission today for the next month. My spot does not have cable but I'll try what you suggest the next time I have a cable hookup.
So simple.
Thanx