Old 06-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
pdaw1541

New Fifth Wheel not sure what to buy

Hello all,

First time poster here, so be gentle....lol. My wife and I have decided to buy our first travel trailer and have pretty much much made up our mind that we want to buy a fifth wheel. We have a 2017 Ford F350 that will be in (we had to order it) by the end of the month. We have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and we are strongly looking at the middle bunk layouts. I know Forest river has a few, Open Range, Cougar, Coachmen...many others have very similar layouts. We like the idea of the kids having their own bedroom w/ TV and we get a dedicated living room area with plenty of seating for everyone if/when its movie night during rainy days. We are new to travel trailers/fifth wheels and I am looking to pick your guys minds on what to look for/stay away from when purchasing one of these?

We really like the sandpiper 372LOK and other similar models. Must haves are a bunk room (preferably middle bunk layout), outside kitchen and at least a half tub for showering (for my 3 year old). Any suggestions? thanks in advance!!

pdaw1541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Stripit

Since your new at this have you considered buying used? The big hit of deprecation happens with any new trailer and since your probably going to make a mistake in your first purchase ( almost all of have) your going to be much further ahead when the time comes to move to the next (perfect) trailer. Not trying to get you to not buy new, but go in with your eyes wide open. Don't know anything about the Sandpiper units, sorry.

2004 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #1341
2008 Lexus 400H
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
pdaw1541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripit View Post
Since your new at this have you considered buying used? The big hit of deprecation happens with any new trailer and since your probably going to make a mistake in your first purchase ( almost all of have) your going to be much further ahead when the time comes to move to the next (perfect) trailer. Not trying to get you to not buy new, but go in with your eyes wide open. Don't know anything about the Sandpiper units, sorry.

Yes, I would be OK buying used. I don't want to buy anything super heavily used, but if I can find a good three or four-year-old unit with minimal wear and tear, I would be OK with that. My wife is somewhat of a clean freak and it's borderline OCD, so buying with the thought of used, it would have to be the right unit. She is also new to camping, and I want to at least try to make the first couple of experiences of camping a good one for her otherwise she will not want to go.
pdaw1541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Stripit

Here in Arizona if you buy used from an individual there is no sales tax, any dealer you pay tax, don't know where your located. Check Craig's list, go to rv and type in under the search, Bunk and see what pops up. Spend time looking and you will start to see the good, bad and really ugly. If the trailer is at someones home, you can also see how clean that is too. It normally all goes hand in hand.
2004 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #1341
2008 Lexus 400H
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
wingnut60
Site Team

RVtrader.com also
2015 38RSSA #7382
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories
2009 F450 4x4-died at 207781 miles
2010 F450 replacement
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote