Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
blwilder

1999 Dodge Ram - What Gear?

I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 Ram Quad-Cab, 4X4, 5.9L Cummins, 4 speed auto transmission. The transmission is in overdrive automatically unless I press the "unlock" button at the end of the shift selector handle.

I just returned from my first trip towing my new (used) fifth wheel trailer. Owners manual says to lock out overdrive when "towing a trailer" or "hauling heavy loads", both of which qualify to lock out the overdrive. Dealer where I purchased the trailer also said to lock out the overdrive.

However, with the overdrive locked out and traveling at 55 mph, the tachometer registers 2200 rpm, which seems excessive to me for any sustained period of time. Just the slightest increase in speed and obviously the rpm's go up. The engine doesn't sound good at this rpm.

If I shift into overdrive at 55 mph the rpm's reduce to 1500, which now seems slightly low, but sounds much better. Now I am in a quandry because I believe that if something doesn't sound good it probably isn't good but both the owner's manual and one person, the dealer who sold me the trailer, say to tow with the overdive locked out.

Any help will be appreciated.

blwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Jack in Alaska

dealers and the truth or lack of

In the long run you will be much safer NOT believing anything the RV salesman or truck salesman tell you about towing capacities.

They know it has 2 or 4 doors maybe, is pretty or not, is real durable for doing what ever you want to do with it. Sure that 1/2 ton will stop that 16k lb. 5th.whl. just fine. And that is about it.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote